UVA at NC State thread

The most frustrating thing is this small rotation BS hasn’t been Tony’s strategy his entire career. Only the last few seasons. Someone did a breakdown on it earlier this week and he used to play more guys. It’s an actual unsuccessful change to what used to be a successful approach and I’m not sure TB realizes he’s changed his approach to rotations.

2 Likes

Taking all the credit away? Tony was the one that landed those dudes - that takes talent and ability too. Never easy convincing high school guys to come to your school when there are 358 D1 schools out there.
But I’d be happy to explore the “routinely mopped the floor with teams that had a lot more higher ranked players” comment.
In 2019 we played one team all year that had more high end talent - Duke - and lost both times to them. FSU that year didn’t even have as many guys as good as our current pros.
We didn’t play any team in the national tournament that had even 2 NBA draft picks that year.
During our that run - Duke was the only program that consistently had more great players … you may say UNC and have a point and yes I would say that was the one team with a ton of talent that our style consistently befuddled. But it wasn’t just the style as was proved this year when we had less talent than them.

Jimmy’s and Joe’s win. X’s and O’s may help some in the regular season.
And older Jimmy’s and Joe’s win a lot. I guess time will tell if in the new landscape if we are able to keep enough dudes around long enough to stay old and talented - this year the first 7 men are simply old and untalented. (top tier ACC talented)

1 Like

I mean, why do you think we had one of the best defenses in the country? Just because of talent level? There’s tons of teams that are insanely talented but are terrible defensively. That’s coaching.

I’ll be the first to say players in college basketball should get more credit than they often do in a sport where coaches are treated as the stars, but to say we only won cause we had X number of guys with talent level about Y just does not seem right. Tony didn’t just assemble some dudes. You need talent and coaching, and Tony has done some amazing coaching.

6 Likes

Agree. I’d say the best thing Tony did during our run was identify Joe/Malc/Dre early and get them to commit. Those are three high level NBA starters and they weren’t ranked like that.

But he also got them and most everyone else to buy in and run his stuff really really well. And he tweaked just enough in 18-19 to run an offense that maxed out his talent.

2 Likes

You are assuming that you know more about how good Taine and igor are than Tony. Maybe he’s not playing them because he knows they aren’t good and might not be all that much better next year. Whereas in the last decade he’s played young guys that should be played. So in either case you are saying that you know what is right and TB doesn’t. It’s fine to think that if you want but seems a little much.

8 Likes

Lol no. If huff and Hauser don’t shit the bed and make even just below average 3s we win easily.

I love how we try to blame Tony for the failures and praise the players for the successs while taking credit away from tb.

I mean, even though it’s fine to criticize his bad moves, this seems crazy to me

Our fans deserve what’s going to happen to this program once he leaves

3 Likes

It’s not like he got lucky and got 3 great players. He pretty much put two separate dominant teams together. Then once they all left unexpectedly, he went out and got 2nd in the acc and then won the fucking league.

And he gets 10% credit from Dave for that. What the fuck is going on here?

9 Likes

Lol sorry it’s inconvenient for your anti-Huff and Hauser narrative that Boals killed Tony out of timeouts. But it happened. Egregiously so to the point ‘schtick’ podcaster like Titus and Tate talked about it.

Also I agree. This program does deserve to be a perennial 15-25 ranked team after TB. The fans support and wealthy alumni base has done a fantastic job to elevate this program to one that will remain competitive after Tony! Now let’s just hope that isn’t for another 10+ years to come!

2 Likes

Lol just like the previous 10 years before him right? Are you crazy?

PS. Huff and Hauser were 2-14 from 3. If they hit just 3 more (below their average still) we win going away, just like all year. Get out of here with that out of timeouts BS being the reason haha

4 Likes

We are spiraling!

5 Likes

Was JPJ open the 10 years before Tony? Was our weight room the best non-Duke one in the mid-Atlantic pre-Tony? You are outright disrespecting everything Tony and Paul Tudor Jones have done to elevate the program to say we will be the same program we were pre-Tony after him. It’s in a completely different place.

PS. Even with those missed shots we win by 10+ if we don’t get destroyed coming out of timeouts.

2 Likes

Someone call Dave Leito i think he’s looking for work

5 Likes

If I was coach, I would focus on a strategy where players made shots. Good things seem to happen when shots go through the basket.

And my biggest criticism of games we’ve lost this year is that the other team seems to make more shots which is decidedly a poor strategy.

7 Likes

I’m of the belief that the team who scores the most points wins. Don’t really carr how you go about doing that

7 Likes

Incorrect. In fact, I have written the exact opposite here. Several times. Sorry I don’t write it in every post.

If you want to know what I assume: I’m right here, just ask!

Fwiw, Boals coached Titus, I’m pretty sure. I think he was on Matta’s staff.

And can we please stop with the fire Tony / call Leitao stuff? Please? I’m one of the more critical posters here of what Tony has done this year, and I repeatedly say (a) he’s a top 5 college coach, (b) he’s going to the HOF, (c) he’s UVA’s reasonable best case scenario, (d) he’s cleaning up on the recruiting trail. I think it’s possible to think (a) through (d) but also think (e) he’s making some boneheaded decisions this year.

In other words, he is human. Just like us.

5 Likes

Man, I gotta get that blu ray. Every time this gets posted I want to watch.

It wasn’t long ago people on here were laughing at The Sabre for how ridiculous it could be. This place is borderline unreadable now.

6 Likes

You can believe both of these things at the same time (I know I do):

A) Taine and Igor probably aren’t very good right now

B) They probably will be pretty good or at least solid as they get older, and we want that to be in a UVA uniform.

With the no-sit transfer rule, you have to give these guys some run (especially when we aren’t gonna do anything special this year anyway) or else they’re gonna bounce, and we’ll just end up having more transfers and new guys who don’t know the Pack Line

4 Likes

I dont see either or bouncing to any US college teams. But thats just me. I could see them giving up somewhat on their USA college experiences and going home to play and study.

Guess it depends on how much they value the education part and how that plays into their overall futures.

6 Likes

That could be right. It might be that for international guys it’s different, but my broader point is that I just don’t know if it’s feasible anymore to essentially redshirt guys who have the potential to be good.

For example we basically have had confirmation that Dre wanted to transfer after his redshirt year. If he wouldn’t have had to sit out, he probably would have. That’s now the environment we’re in and we need to acknowledge that.

4 Likes