UVA at NC State thread

Whoa whoa whoa. Wait. Hold up. After what happened at the end of the 1H, we switched Papi on the perimeter again. Is this a joke?

Tony: you can play Papi OR you can switch your bigs on the perimeter, but if you keep doing both, they are going to retroactively take away one of those Coach of the year awards.

Anyone who thinks the 2013-2019 run wasn’t 90% because of the talent and athletes we had - simply isn’t paying attention.

That’s the case with every successful team. No ones winning championships at any level with 1 and 2 star players.

2 Likes

And yet Tony is playing the 1 and 2 star guys over 2 4 stars and a really good shooter.

1 Like

I disagree to an extent on the Hellems 3 at the end of the half. It was a late in the shot clock situation, and usually a switch everything approach while the clock is winding down is a better option to avoid giving up and easy look. Also, Hellems had to adjust his shot arc pretty significantly to get it over Papi.

What I will question however, is why we don’t look for opportunities to switch back to a better matchup when the opportunity is there. Just prior to the pass to Hellems, Papi and Reece were standing right next to each other. Reece was digging in to keep their big out of the paint while Papi was in a help position guarding the wing. Just switch! It seems so easy to make off ball switches but we rarely do. Gardner and someone, can’t remember who, did it in the first half once but that’s all I can remember. Maybe that comes back to a vocal leadership issue? Or just the team not being very vocal in the first place? I

Dirty secret they are all 1 and 2s. The roster isnt good. If you’re still believing it those guys on the bench are some sort of saviors youre only fooling yourself.

I know no one is calling for CTBs head but at some point you shit or get off the toliet. Yelling for CTB a coach of 20 plus yrs experience to change their strategy and coaching philosophy that they’ve used and won with is clearly not going to happen. You’re talking to a tree. So if that’s not the answer then the next step is you have to admit to yourself you want change and that has to come by way of a coaching change.

Personally I’m not close to there. But when I am i dont pussyfoot around it see all my Bronco takes.

3 Likes

End of half 3 was over Reece. The one over Papi was a few minutes earlier.

2 Likes

Yep, my mistake, but I was referencing the one over Papi.

1 Like

Some of us are yelling for him to use the strategy that made him successful: play the young guys and let them play through their screwups. He’s not doing what he’s always done. We’ve been over this.

1 Like

Yeah and we’ve talked about it before but when he’s been successful, he’s had great assistant coaches to keep him balanced.

It feels like right now there’s a bit of an echo chamber on the staff. Or at least we don’t hear otherwise.

The last two years we’ve had a real lack of player leadership. I don’t know whether that’s an impact of how we’ve recruited or a shift in team culture (and how much is that attributed to COVID). The last two years have produced joyless teams and blowouts that we hadn’t seen in years.

4 Likes

Ok, last rant: ACCN producers — where is my Morsell handshake line footage?

2 Likes

How many times a game do we run the flare screen where Clark catches the ball wide open on the wing and doesn’t shoot it or doesn’t believe he has enough room? As was proved on the 3 he got blocked when it seemed he was wide open.
Now imagine a world where Reece gets to play pick and roll with Traudt. Where Isaac M is the one flaring on the high screen? Where Bond comes in and shuts down a Hellems type?
Where Tony refuses to play 2 star level athletes anymore? Or where Reece drives and collapses the D and has Isaac squared options or Sheds and Bond on the lob?
Dreamin…

2 Likes

More important than trash talk is defensive talk during the actual game and that’s lacking since Mamadi/Braxton graduated. Akil and Isaiah were probably the shining examples of being LOUD on defense communicating everything to their teammates. It’s silent when we are on defense this year. Really missing that defensive lynchpin type of guy.

4 Likes

Ohio beat us by like 20 points out of timeouts. That’s what cost us the Ohio game.

You may need to go sit a few plays out. You’ve lost every ounce of perspective. Those teams were talented but they routinely mopped the floor with teams that had a lot more higher ranked players than we did. You’re trying to take all the credit away from TB when I’d argue that his system and player development is what allowed us to be so dominant. Plenty of teams are loaded with talent and don’t win nearly as consistently as we do

12 Likes

The most frustrating thing is this small rotation BS hasn’t been Tony’s strategy his entire career. Only the last few seasons. Someone did a breakdown on it earlier this week and he used to play more guys. It’s an actual unsuccessful change to what used to be a successful approach and I’m not sure TB realizes he’s changed his approach to rotations.

2 Likes

Taking all the credit away? Tony was the one that landed those dudes - that takes talent and ability too. Never easy convincing high school guys to come to your school when there are 358 D1 schools out there.
But I’d be happy to explore the “routinely mopped the floor with teams that had a lot more higher ranked players” comment.
In 2019 we played one team all year that had more high end talent - Duke - and lost both times to them. FSU that year didn’t even have as many guys as good as our current pros.
We didn’t play any team in the national tournament that had even 2 NBA draft picks that year.
During our that run - Duke was the only program that consistently had more great players … you may say UNC and have a point and yes I would say that was the one team with a ton of talent that our style consistently befuddled. But it wasn’t just the style as was proved this year when we had less talent than them.

Jimmy’s and Joe’s win. X’s and O’s may help some in the regular season.
And older Jimmy’s and Joe’s win a lot. I guess time will tell if in the new landscape if we are able to keep enough dudes around long enough to stay old and talented - this year the first 7 men are simply old and untalented. (top tier ACC talented)

1 Like

I mean, why do you think we had one of the best defenses in the country? Just because of talent level? There’s tons of teams that are insanely talented but are terrible defensively. That’s coaching.

I’ll be the first to say players in college basketball should get more credit than they often do in a sport where coaches are treated as the stars, but to say we only won cause we had X number of guys with talent level about Y just does not seem right. Tony didn’t just assemble some dudes. You need talent and coaching, and Tony has done some amazing coaching.

6 Likes

Agree. I’d say the best thing Tony did during our run was identify Joe/Malc/Dre early and get them to commit. Those are three high level NBA starters and they weren’t ranked like that.

But he also got them and most everyone else to buy in and run his stuff really really well. And he tweaked just enough in 18-19 to run an offense that maxed out his talent.

2 Likes

You are assuming that you know more about how good Taine and igor are than Tony. Maybe he’s not playing them because he knows they aren’t good and might not be all that much better next year. Whereas in the last decade he’s played young guys that should be played. So in either case you are saying that you know what is right and TB doesn’t. It’s fine to think that if you want but seems a little much.

8 Likes