UVA at NC State thread

Yupp! Which is realistically probably why Titus gave some actual basketball analysis about that one lol

1 Like

No I don’t think so

6 Likes

It’s weird how we’ve gone from Igor is going to sit and develop all season when he first committed to we need to put him in the rotation or he’ll transfer. I do think Tony would be making a big mistake not giving these guys run soon since our tourney changes are nil but non 5*international guys always need a year to adjust, doesn’t matter what school they go to

2 Likes

Well the main thing that changed was that this team is a lot worse than most thought it would be lol. So it makes less and less sense to not play him

2 Likes

Exactly. And it’s not like the guy getting minutes in front of him is especially competent. It would be one thing if Kody was an Evan Nolte-Darius Thompson level player. But he’s not

1 Like

Kody is getting the guard minutes right now. Igor has played like 2 minutes at guard all year. He’s treated as a four, and I think rightfully. The next guy up is probably McCorkle there right now.

The backup 4 minutes have been almost game to game. Taine was getting them for a while, then lately they’ve gone to a jumbo look of Shedrick/Caffaro. I think that’s what they did for the brief time Gardner sat yesterday. Then went to Taine in what was essentially extended garbage minutes.

They started using Taine at the 4 for offensive reasons. He struggled with ball security, a no no for TB. It’s continued out of necessity. They like his physicality guarding small ball fours more than Kody. And it creates a mismatch for our side.

5 Likes

In a way that makes sense but at the same time if the staff is conceiving the roster specifically as 1-5 that in of itself is a problem. There’s a reason why the NBA has moved on from 1-5 designations

1 Like

Is it Taine has ball security problems, or that Taine has ball security problems when being guarded by Reece and Armaan in practice?

4 Likes

I believe that Taine may have some stuff to work on with ball security. But… the other guy did just get pick sixed twice in the first 4 minutes that he played yesterday.

3 Likes

Taine has played some guard. He did for a good portion late game yesterday. And Kody played some small 4 vs Pitt when the bigs were in foul trouble. I think for Taine it’s a blocker/mover thing. It’s one thing for a senior like Stattmann to be able to play both. Harder for a freshman. They run different sets when Taine is in too. That pop into the corner.

It’ll be interesting to see if that changes as the season goes. The roles right now are so far off from the the original vision.

4 Likes

Pop out of sides is a freaking lost art this year when it can be rly effective. Generated so much space with hauser and huff doing it last year. Even when Taine was doing it the guards weren’t hitting him until that iowa game when he went off

4 Likes

Remember when our PFs (Jayden and Taine) hit five threes in the second half vs Iowa and we came back from down 20? Iowa had no idea what to do defensively — they were switching intermittently between man & zone, and having a stretch big killed them in both looks. Fourth shot here is pretty textbook pop-out-of-sides stuff, too.

7 Likes

Love Reece’s emotion after Taine’s last one … he’s like - please coach let me play with shooters and see what we can do!!!

2 Likes

Conveniently Taine is playing the 4 in that clip of Reece getting excited, and also in the one before that…

1 Like