UVA Basketball 2022-2023 Post Mortem Thread/Transfer out thread

??? Im not blaming him on that. But it is an aspect. Relax lol (I think with message boards we read into other people’s statements but only see what we would mean if we typed those words. A lot gets lost).

Confidence is absolutely a big part of basketball.

It will be interesting to see if we feed Dunn and Bond the ball when they are open at the 3pt line. There are times when Dunn caught the ball and didn’t shoot it but there were times when Dunn was also wide open and Kihei/Reece looked at him and then looked the other way.

5 Likes

While I won’t blame it on Kihei, I do understand @Hooandtrue point. I also don’t blame Kihei or Reece or anyone else for not tossing the ball to Kadin in the post when he has very little track record converting, and even a tendency to get lost in the sauce and turn it over.

That said, the physical limitations; strength, touch, coordination, and the mental; confidence fall on Kadin to to handle and overcome. If he wants his teammates and coaches confidence he has to earn it.

9 Likes

I want Kadin to develop his pnr roll man stuff.

If you all love post ups so much, go watch Big Ten hoops and your old Betamax tapes.

Sometimes I think I’m getting old, then I see folks chatting about old school post moves…

7 Likes

That’s my biggest fear for Dunn, pardon me Dunn stans, if he does not find an offensive game beyond catching lobs the confidence in him will drop. He was left alone on several occasions in the final few games and was looked off, and given his track record I get it.

5 Likes

I believe it was a note left by outgoing Gov. Baliles to incoming Gov. Wilder, but it simply stated, the first crisis you face, blame me and my administration because we won’t be here to defend ourselves — and that’s the game.

5 Likes

Really it all comes down to this:

6 Likes

Why can’t it be “yes and” rather than “either or?” I want Kadin to be a rim runner, but he needs to get stronger so he can finish in traffic. He also needs better coordination and confidence. I also want him to have at least a reliable post game that the Hoos can toss it in to occasionally.

3 Likes

Because it doesn’t work as well for my jokes

(Earnestly, I think those moves are important, but probably not where I’d have him devote most of his time on offensive skills)

3 Likes

I think he showed some flashes and was always going to be a raw prospect to begin with. His defensive upside makes him a very good player either way, but the BC mid range jumper and game clinching layup against JMU come to mind as exciting plays he made on the other end.

I always take first year offense with a grain of salt given our culture of deference. Think we saw very little of McKneely’s full bag for example and Dunn probably played not to make mistakes on that end

2 Likes

Roger that, need to use that comedy font.

1 Like

I dont blame anyone but our post entry pass to pass cleanly completed ration is not good

7 Likes

Which is a key point. My younger daughter (who is not tall) made kind of a lame joke about someone being short. I said, “Hey, we don’t do that in this family.” She said, “Why? Because you’re short?” I said, “No. And I’m disappointed in you. We don’t make fun of short people unless the joke is FUNNY and that joke was terrible.”

9 Likes

In my view, the biggest impediment to the development of Shedrick’s post game is his hand strength. How many times have we seen him unable to catch a pass when he’s in the low post, or retain it when he does catch it? (FWIW, I thought this was Caffaro’s biggest weakness, too.) I’m not sure I know what sort of post game Shedrick possesses because I don’t recall him handling the ball in the low post unless it was a lob pass. Or course, this may just be me and my selective memory.

4 Likes

Is this a backward joke aimed at Haney?

2 Likes

Yes.

AND you always want to be rooting for whatever gives the best material for jokes.

2 Likes

Shedrick’s lack of post game is that he simply doesn’t have any moves.

He bobbles the ball sometimes but, mostly, he catches just fine off of PnR, lobs, presenting himself in traffic. When someone else creates the advantage for him, he converts at a high clip.

His offensive game is limited to a jump shot (which is better than he was allowed to utilize it this year, but I think he needs confidence/a green light to be effective and don’t think he had that), and then he does this really slow developing multiple dribble hook shot that he rarely utilizes for good reason.

If he could just develop a little up and under, quicker hook shot/just take a dribble and some strides across the lane, it’d be a whole new world. Not even anything crazy like a (gasp) drop step (but one can dream). I do think (assuming he’s here) he should shoot his jumper more next year, though. That’d open some things up and I think he’d hit at a decent clip with some reps.

21 Likes

I mean not blaming Kihei individually but our guards have been horrible at feeding the post the last 4 years. Get Jay or Kadin isolated on a 5’11 guy and don’t even look at him. It’s certainly part of the problem

1 Like

Jay could not get post position. He was way too weak on the block. He got bullied by smaller and stronger dudes all of the time. It was maddening to watch. He got the ball a bunch 8-10 feet out and was fairly effective there. Kihei also had a great connection with Jay in PnR and some sets.

If you want this, you want to get guys like Darion Atkins and Anthony Gill.

1 Like

Yes that was also an even bigger part of the problem. But this isn’t an either or situation. Our guards have been terrible at passing into the post since Ty left. We’ve sucked at all aspects of post offense. One possible exception being Jayden’s mid range jumper

Yeah, it’s the PG’s responsibility to get passes to teammates where they can be effective. Reece and Kihei have no problem hitting Shedrick with a pocket pass or lob for a dunk. But they’re not gonna throw passes down into the post when they know the player can’t reliably do anything with it. Shedrick’s not a bad passer out of the post, but it’s surprising to me that he hasn’t developed any post moves in 4 years. I think he can still add value to our roster, but I’ve given up on thinking that he can be any kind of post-up player.

4 Likes