UVA Basketball 2022-2023 Post Mortem Thread/Transfer out thread

I literally just told you the exact opposite. And I also corrected your misunderstanding of the NET and you haven’t even said “Oh, my B”, so let’s just let this go for now, especially since I am annoying the folks on here even more than usual.

Good call

2 Likes

IT WILL NOT! FIGHT ME!

Edit - The post I was jokingly responding to is gone, so now I just look insane. :frowning:

6 Likes

For years our offense has not focused on feeding the post. Has to be how CTB wants it.

Hey everyone - I thought I saw a while ago someone listed all of the players who redshirted this past season and the reasons behind them. Did I imagine that? If not, does anyone have a link to where that information was found?

1 Like

It was me, and very back of the envelope. Only for top 100 (247 composite, I think). Will try to dig it up. Just want to caveat – very back of the envelope. I don’t have any research assistants. :joy:

Part 1

Part 2

Again the caveats – I may have missed someone. I may have gotten something wrong. You shouldn’t rely on any of this as investment advice. Last year, maybe there were more.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I think I learned a set of drop steps and spin moves when I was in junior high. Totally befuddles me!

4 Likes

I agree with this. Bottom line- WHEN/IF we get high level recruits then they need to play year 1, because that will pay dividends by year 2. IF we get transfers during this time then they need to *not interfere with our recruited high level recruits, unless THEY are high level themselves. For example I’m sure BVP would have been happy to be a part of a team that got to the sweet 16 if Traudt was playing more minutes than him vs. us having a low ceiling and ultimately failing in the post season because he’s taking too many minutes (I know players don’t think about it like this necessarily, but if we are succeeding and making it into the second season then Everyone is happy).

Another example- Taine and Papi got *very little play ALL season, and yet their playing time went up during the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament only because BVP got hurt, and so I don’t think it was necessarily fair to them to be put in that position to perform at a high level after sitting the bench for 2.5 months.

1 Like

Have to be a really inexperienced coach not to be able to teach the drop step, power dribble, and hook shot.

edit
The player has to have some responsibility for his own career considering that the information for skills development is widely available…

Here’s the top 120ish (whatever Torvik’s recruit rating of 80 is equal to) freshmen, and you can sort by percent minutes played: T-Rank Player Stats - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

17 guys on this list under 10% of minutes played, which would be 4 minutes per game if they had played every game. I assume some of these guys had injuries, but I wasn’t sure about each situation.

Curious what people think are qualitative differences between redshirting and playing extremely low minutes (<10%)? I imagine there are plenty, but I don’t really have a good feel for what’s better in what situations.

2 Likes

Yep and that goes back to recruiting. Even though we were a 4 seed we all DEFINITELY saw some holes this entire season and just hoped and prayed that it wouldn’t be a problem during the tournaments which they were. To summarize we were small at MULTIPLE positions, Not athletic at others, and Couldn’t shoot. I look at these FAU and FDU teams and even if they’re not *big at all of their positions they are athletic and can shoot.

Uva at minimum should be able to fix those 3 issues in order to get us back in the race of competing for titles.

We had trouble defensively against Tech, Miami, BC, and Pitt which all stemmed from a lack of size or athleticism. If those teams can get legit players then we can too.

1 Like

Yes BVP and Reece were injured during the year. It would have been nice to have Bond and Traudt as *options when those happened. Injuries can happen to anyone (hell we have a history of injuries almost every year), but I think it was short sighted to not have an emergency release valve in these situations. So instead of having a higher ceiling because those two were available and potentially a better chance at a championship or atleast make some noise in the NCAA this year AND next year; what has actually occured has been a complete 180 in that we are losing the graduates, and *may lose Traudt whether due to loneliness, feeling ostracized, incompatibility or whatever without him playing a minute. I can guarantee you that if Traudt felt like a part of this team and a potentially BIGGER part next year, with some NBA buzz then his girlfriend would be transferring HERE, not trying to pull him back to Iowa.
Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

2 Likes

Focus on two guys we know: Nickel and Washington from UNC

For development: Some game tape helps the player with development in season and for future seasons, and a good sense of the athleticism at the college level. Jalen Washington gets a sense of what he can do, and where he needs to focus.

For team fit: you see how the coach thinks you fit in the team concept. Maybe that keeps you there (Washington, I think), and maybe it drives you away (Nickel).

For me, the other big thing is it takes away an artificial constraint: The RS is a self perpetuating thing. Would Tony have played Leon zero minutes but for the RS? Maybe; tough to say. Or would he have found some minutes for him? What about Isaac T? I think my sense is he’d have played some more.

I think Jalen Washington is really the counter to what we do. He’s dinged up early on and is stuck behind an upperclass all-American. Prime RS candidate. He likely would have here. But then he misses out on a game that gives him great feedback and great hope for the future. (Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m not praising Hubert – I just think there are other ways of doing things…)

4 Likes

This is a fascinating discussion about redshirts. I feel like we don’t discuss this topic nearly enough, and I’m happy to see all these fresh, new, definitely not rehashed-to-death points being made.

I don’t have anything to add, because frankly I don’t care one way or another. (Blasphemy, I know. How can I be a true UVa fan without a strong opinion about redshirts?) But I will say that I think it’s extremely misguided to think Traudt would have (or could have) taken Caffaro’s minutes. Papi had a specific and unique role on this team: a big body that would bang and rebound and maul. Traudt was never going to play that role this year. You really think he was going to guard Bacot or Ormier or Burns? He would have fouled out in three minutes.

If anything, he would have taken minutes from BVP as a stretch 4, or a small-ball 5. I think there’s a legitimate argument to be made that that would have been a good idea, but I think it’s an argument that’s stronger in hindsight than it may have been at the beginning of the year.

9 Likes

Yep exactly- keep an asset that you spent 6-12 months recruiting vs. putting them out to pasture.

It doesn’t have to be alot, however it could have been 5-10 per game…Also I’m sure the natural progression of learning is faster when you’re playing *in games, plus practicing *with your team since you know you may be playing 5-10 per game. I’m sure there is a whole different level of communication, urgency and teamwork when you’re practicing and in the game.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you – I am very tired of having to have this same stupid redshirt discussion again.

3 Likes

@Cuts_from_The_Corner so to summarize out of the top 100 players there were 3 volunteer players who redshirted, and we had 2 of them.

1 Like

Exactly. In addition if you *know that you may get into a game this year then you’re going to bust your ass, take practice seriously, do the lifting program etc. in other words be a model player for the opportunity to get in the game.

1 Like