UVA Basketball 2022-2023 Post Mortem Thread/Transfer out thread

Controversial but I think it may be good for Jay, TB and the program if Jay took a head coaching gig.

For TB, you get a fresh voice and set of eyes. Removes the echo chamber.

For Jay, he gets to spread his wings and prove his chops.

For the program, if Jay is the heir to the throne, you get him head coaching experience elsewhere prior to taking the reins.

7 Likes

“Tony on a hot seat?” Forgot to put that in the sarcasm font.

1 Like

I agree with your entire post. Although if Austin Williford is a stud recruit, the timing of losing him now would kind of suck.

4 Likes

Here’s Reasons 1 and 2 for me on areas to get better as a program.

Watch the video from the time stamp.

1. Northwestern had just missed 6 straight FGA. They have a dawg and he took and made a tough one on one 24 foot 3 to get it to a 3 point game. We had zero dawgs like that this year with that ability and experience.
  2. Then watch the UCLA possession with 2 minutes left. They have a 3 point lead and get a blocked shot and actually push the ball ahead. Because of the semi fast push they had a small window of a 5 on 4 semi-break. They get it to the trailer and he takes a 24 footer with 24 seconds left on the shot clock. He takes it and makes it with no thought of making a mistake - simply a dawg making a play.
    That was Singleton who is a bench player and only UCLA’s 5th leading scorer and is only a 35% 3 point shooter on the year. Oh and by the way UCLA is 251st in pace of play - so not a fast team either.
    But the mentality there is: let’s play to win and not: let’s be super careful with a lead. Northwestern never got it back to a 1 possession game after that.

I can think of 3 guys under CTB who might have taken and made that shot under those circumstances: Joe Harris, Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy… and maybe Perrantes.

Talent (dawgs) and Freedom - the 2 main keys for me to success.

5 Likes

I think McKneely will be in the ranks of guys who will take that shot.

But on the UVA women’s team… they will ALL take that shot. We ought to get Mox and Tony to switch teams for a week, to give the men some dawg-ness and give the women a little bit of control.

11 Likes

Watching Auburn and most 100+ efficiency teams, this is also a key for failure.

If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything. I’m positive that a doer makes mistakes.

John Wooden
Dunn was frozen on offense. So was Shedrick.

1 Like

~ DavetheWave

4 Likes

I agree Dave, I think IMac is that guy. He didn’t display it quite like Ty or Kyle did their first year, but you can see it in his game. I think he takes a big step up next year in this regard.

8 Likes

I hate to bring everything back to Vegas, because in hindsight it seems that was more a flash in the pan and our peak as a team rather than a sign of things to come for the season (Reece and BVP injuries afterwards also played a factor), but I was so hopeful after that stretch due to the team playing much more freely. They took chances on defense and got some steals that lead to fast break points, they attempted some shots early in the possession if they were open, and nobody looked afraid to find their offense. Those weren’t things that ‘break’ what TB wants to do schematically, just tweaks and freedoms that make us much more adaptable when March comes around.

6 Likes

Genuinely curious, would people rather have the season Pitt had instead of Virginia’s season?

Virginia was better during the regular season, at times was viewed as a team that could compete for the national title, played for the ACC championship, and Reece was named ACC DPOY. Virginia also flamed out in the NCAA tournament, as we all know.

Pittsburgh was never really held in high regard nationally (only cracking the top-25 once), but the Jeff Capel was named ACC Coach of the year, Jamarius Burton was first team all-ACC, Nick Sibande was ACC Sixth Man, and Pittsburgh won two NCAA tournament games.

Personally, I’m taking Virginia’s season, but I am open to hearing people’s thoughts.

1 Like

To be fair, Clark hit a number of those “dawg” shots in his time in Cville — notably, the stepback threes in Blacksburg and at home vs. Louisville to win and ice, respectively, those games.

And he missed the fast break three in the closing minutes vs. Duke in the ACCT that would have changed the complexion of that game.

And, yes, McKneely — he’s already taken a number of them. The in-your-face 23-footer at Louisville he drained. And he missed a few, too — one in Chapel Hill that would have cut the lead to 4, and the kill-shot vs. Furman that was contested and early in the shot clock.

Early in the season, Franklin connected on a number of transition threes from the wings and corners. But by the middle of January, we weren’t doing as much in transition — not sure whether that was personnel or Beekman’s nagging injury, or what.

7 Likes

No, wouldn’t give up an extra tournament win for another share of the ACC title. If Pitt made the S16 or the E8, maybe it’s a slightly harder decision.

I’m honestly not even mad with the outcome of our season, we ended about where I thought we would in preseason. I’m more mad about the way we lost, and how infuriating it was.

8 Likes

UVA’s season. Had they made the S16, Pitt’s season. To me there’s not much difference in losing between R64 and R32 and we had a lot more highs in-season than they did.

I do hate in a sense that it’s gotten to the point where we throw away the regular season once we lose in the postseason. The “none of that mattered” mindset I get, but at the same time it’s a LONG season. And yeah it ended like crap, but there were some really fun times -

The Vegas trip, ending UNC’s season, etc etc. I hope I never get to the mindset of just waiting for the postseason because I would miss a lot of what makes the season so fun. I don’t think there has to be a tradeoff

8 Likes

I thought that I noticed this in the ND and maybe Lousiville game this year as well. It seemed like we’d go up by 6 or so and be on the verge of cracking the game open. Then we’d string together a couple of careless TOs, and the opposing team would turn those into 3-pointers or layups and boom, we’re back to a tight game.

5 Likes

Dont think this was the case for more than half of the season. Emphasis on “at times”/watching the team play worse basketball as the season went on until Kadin was reinstated into the rotation.

I thought I would be more frustrated as a fan/have a hard time watching March Madness afterwards but I realized once Traudt was announced as a redshirt my expectations for the season plummeted and once Kadin whatever happened and we were struggling with BC Louisville Notre Dame with seemingly no short term or long term solution I was kinda like “Whatever. Onto next season”. I did get dragged back in with Kadin’s acc tournament play and how we looked in the Furman game before the collapse but Im over it.

Im ready for the fresh start with the 2022s and 2023s anchored by Reece, hopefully Kadin, and another 3pt shooter.

7 Likes

Yeah I think everyone loves having a “dawg” (think this is a ridiculous term that gets overused on here) when the dawg is making shots. When that mentality turns into turnovers and missed shots then we’re calling for the dawg to be benched or put on a leash or something.

I think the key is to have a really good, smart point guard. Not sure if that type of player has a special label.

4 Likes

This Seth Davis column form Jan 16 is probably the tail end of the thinking that Virginia was a title contender. Maybe someone else was still bullish on Virginia later in the season, but this is what stuck in my mind.

2 Likes

To be fair though we havent had a DAWG so to be determined if DAWG means erratic/we would be calling them to be benched. I wouldn’t classify Kihei as a DAWG, did have moments where he applied ball pressure and turned it over but I dont think its a moment. A dawg is a dawg 24/7. Very emotional/aggressive in drawing fouls and generating steals etc.

Floor general type is what you are referring to. Perrantes/Jerome

3 Likes