UVA Basketball 2022-2023 Post Mortem Thread/Transfer out thread

On the talent discussion (247 rankings) in order of minutes played for their team (minimum 30 games played for their team)

Tennessee
Vescovi: 189
Nkamhoua: 167
Zakai: 274
Jordan-James: 22
Phillips: 15
Key: unranked
Aidoo: 47
Plavsic: 187
Mashack: 62
Awaka: 294

San Diego State
Bradley: 112
Trammell: not ranked
Butler: 243
Parrish: not ranked
LeDee: 103
Johnson: 300
Seiko: 350
Mensah: 287
Arop: Not ranked

Too lazy to post the others but there are other teams like this as well.

I dont think we have a talent problem in terms of amassing top 50 kids but moreso a recruiting to our philosophy problem. We have a packline identity, we need to recruit to that identity.

less just trying to hoarde top 50 kids and moreso finding top 250 kids who fit what we do, are space out on the roster appropriately so that opportunity is there for them, and keeping them 3-4 years.

Instead (and again I love Jayden/top 5 hoo fan favorite for me) we recruit a 4 who doesn’t really fit at the 4 for us and then recruit another 4 who also doesn’t fit in our front court (and is only a 30% 3pt shooter) and then play them together heavy minutes. Just playing one of them on the floor means we sacrifice our identity, and playing both at the same time annihilates the packline essentially.

I wonder if we would even talk about these same issues if we just had a typical UVA 4 man and a guard who could hit one more 3 a game.

7 Likes

I still vivdly remember the flint crew at MSU and Mateen Cleaves winning the title. My first real NCAA tourney memory and I was a wee kiddo. I still associate March Madness with Izzo and Cleaves because of that.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the article for more context, but that sounds like he’s talking about the seniors “going out like this.” So I don’t see any cause for concern in that remark. Then again, there’s nothing in it to imply he’s staying, either. So we’re back to square one.

1 Like

What makes me uncomfortable about Traudy is how the Omaha ESPN guy delivered it on air. He didn’t preface his comment with a disclaimer or allegedly, no rumor mill context, he said confidently that Traudt is leaving Virginia after the season and will play for Creighton next year. But we’ll see. Yes, I understand people drop rumors for clicks and listener reach and buzz…but let’s be real this guy isn’t a shock jock. hopefully he’s full of shit, or likely just misinformed.

1 Like

Could be. Who knows. But if he’d have meant seniors, I think he’d have said it. “These guys” and “they” sounds like them…as in the Wahoos…a team I may not be a part of much longer.

1 Like

Because the kid is 6’10" and possibly one of the best shooters of his class.

4 Likes

Hoos insider Brian O’Connor was too busy winning series in Chapel Hill and Raleigh to talk to his fellow alums and friends in Omaha about fish.

1 Like

Serious question: Is Blue Jay Underground related in any way to the Digital Underground?

4 Likes

You guys are going to work yourselves into a frenzy for 8 months with this Traudt stuff lol it’s unlikely there will be a definitive ‘he’s staying’ moment

Can see it now: Isaac goes home for a few weeks in May. Posts on Instagram he’s enjoying time with his gf. Some Creighton or Omaha media member: SEE!! HE’S STILL THINKING ABOUT TRANSFERRING TO BE CLOSER TO HER. And then UVA boards meltdown all over again

5 Likes

Ah, that’s what it was. We’re all competitors at our core (me probably irresponsibly so). I would hate to see one of our best ever prospects play for another team.

Hopefully all is well and IT is ready to go full force as a Hoo next season.

2 Likes

We generally do not beat ourselves but that is NOT enough in the post season. Tony is focused on eliminating breakdowns but to me, at some stage, you reach the point of diminishing returns.

2 Likes

Only have 60 days to enter portal and not have to sit out a year without a waiver. And that 60 day clock started last week. Then again the NCAA probably giving out waivers like Tic Tac’s now

3 Likes

Post mortem thread not the traudt speculation thread LOL.

Ill just say

1. (@USSoccer13 beat me to the punch) there is a portal window
  2. If traudt leaves grab that American transfer whose shooting 38% from 3 with a high block rate or Bobi when the coaching dominos fall
  3. In the age of portal and decommits from numerous coaching changes, it is what it is. Everyone is replaceable. I just want a 4 man who can help side defend and hit an open 3 here or there. The rest outside a baller pg who can hit a floater is honestly irrelevant
4 Likes

‘I’m homesick and it’s impacting my mental health’ would 100% get a waiver. Especially for a kid genuinely moving close to home. That deadline doesn’t mean anything other than having to submit some paperwork

Everyone is not replaceable, we can’t just snap our fingers and get a one for one. Traudt is one of the better prospects signed in the CTB era, losing him, for whatever reason would be be bad bad bad, but this isn’t the Traudt speculation thread.

Let’s worry/speculate about JWilly being a top Temple target

11 Likes

I think we really need to stop perpetuating the echo chamber here.

14 Likes

“source” found.
jayz

5 Likes

I agree. I will stop.

I mostly posted as a joke since this rando was claiming “insider Hoo friends” and which one of us it might be. All in good fun is all.

3 Likes

Losing Traudt would be a total nightmare. Still in the camp that believes it’s a baseless rumor, but I’m not gonna downplay how awful that would be.

14 Likes

Yes, I know, I have the most based profile pic in LRA. Takes a bow I don’t get the Jayz reference though.