UVA Basketball Activities Paused Due to COVID-19

Any thoughts on why we haven’t seen more of the continuity ball screen offense? Would think that would be the ideal offense for this team with Kihei and Reece operating off Jay screens opened up by Sam and Trey as shooters. I understand Penney isn’t around but he wasn’t here in 18/19 either was he?

3 Likes

All official now

2 Likes

Yeah I’m gonna cover this in another video, or may write an article abt it. While they’ve mostly gone away from the cbs by itself they’ve incorporated the scheme into mover blocker to form a sort of hybrid. Only really have used it on half of MB possessions against St. Francis and Kent St., but essentially allows the guards to read the defense and attack off those wing ball screens as they see fit and it allows Huff and Hauser/Murphy to pop up into the slot and stretch the floor rather than staying in the blocks/elbow.

As for why they haven’t used CBS straight up? I think Penney’s absence could play a small role in that he was a proponent of that set and would be in Tony’s ear about it but I doubt that’s why it’s been used so infrequently. Think they spent a TON of time on the 5-out, read and react set because they were convinced it’d be there go-to offense that everything else went on the back-burner. Mover blocker showed up more cuz it’s less dependent on the players to make plays and more on the basic execution of screening and then playing off what the defense does so it takes less practice than CBS does since each guard has to be a threat attacking a BS. They are also lacking that third guard to attack ball screens and, while Kihei is good attacking off ball screens, he’s better with high ball screens because it’s easier to read where the help is coming from.

I’ve got a lot more thoughts on this lol so I’ll prolly just type something up for this weekend heading into W&M.

3 Likes

Any chance we add another OOC game? Nova cancelled and I doubt there is available makeup slot with MSU anytime soon.

There’s something in the works, just not finalized. I don’t know the specifics of who or when.

2 Likes

Tennessee would be the most exciting scenario

1 Like

I imagine there are some openings that wknd after Xmas but not sure how many teams would want to play then. Both Richmond schools are available then …

An easy bus trip with no hotel required would seem the most obvious alternative. Given our weak ooc schedule due to cancellations playing Richmond would seem like a no brainer if they are up for it, have the schedule flexibility etc

5 Likes

UVA schedules game against No. 1 Gonzaga for Dec. 26 …

https://richmond.com/sports/college/uva-schedules

8 hours ago · UVA schedules game against No. 1 Gonzaga for Dec. 26 … Virginia returns to practice Saturday after pausing due to COVID-19 issues within the program. The Wahoos will return to play

1 Like