🤺 UVA Fencing Team?

Dammit, UVA needs a fencing team. We would dominate-- we literally have two swords in our logo. Notre Dame is fencing NCAA runner-up

5 Likes

Knew a guy on the club fencing team at UVa

1 Like

Nope.

No more sports until Rugby is fully funded.

1 Like

We’ll just expand the AFC to include the new fencing facilities. We can demolish Scott Stadium and just move the football team to Lambeth field full time.

3 Likes

A guy with whom I went to HS has two boys on the U.S. junior national team.

Here’s one of them. Apparently fencing at Harvard.

2 Likes

Sound like he some sort of prodigy. Very cool man. No comment on your homeys tricky last name though

4 Likes

Athletic family. Tony (my HS friend) was a very good hurdler and his brother Ryan was a first-team all-state RB who ended up playing college football at Howard.

1 Like

Also I know way too much about them now from
china to palo alto to france hahahah sound like an interesting family

Will give me a reason to follow fencing if I ever see it on

2 Likes

One of my roommates was on the fencing team. We always joked with him about the sabres in the logo and he always got mad cause he specialized in one of the other swords.

3 Likes

Other swords sounds… tricky

1 Like

I only know the crossword sword… epee… it has been a clue in 90% of crossword puzzles I’ve ever completed. Have no idea what an epee is however.

1 Like

6 Likes

It’s the biggest, heaviest (relatively) fencing sword. Can only score points with the tip. It is a little less confusing to watch than the other types because there aren’t rules about right of way that impact scoring.

I’m friends with a bunch of former fencers (not UVA connected)

2 Likes

come on, man. too easy. i won’t even go to the gif locker on this one.

5 Likes

If UVA were to ever try and start a fencing team, I think the Caplin family would be involved.

That we did not have one is why the kids (at least the 3 oldest that I know) went to Duke.

Their grandparents are the ones who have the theater on campus named after them.

1 Like