UVA January Discussion Thread (and Happy New Year)

I think we say that about Mamadi because his career is over now. He was super up and down until the tournament run

4 Likes

Yeah, Mamadiā€™s minutes in his last three games before the 2019 NCAAT were: 17, 7, 13, and he shot poorly from the field. Kadinā€™s stats compare pretty favorably to Mamadiā€™s in their redshirt junior years.

3 Likes

One thing about Kadin is he didnā€™t take basketball seriously until high school. When he signed with us it was well known it was going to take a while. I would hope he works on a post game and shoot a few 3s. It would make him more of a threat and require more defense on him. I know one thing for sure. Right now heā€™s our best foul shooter

6 Likes

I get it that Kadin is a work but how much longer we gotta wait? At some point we may have to look at ourselves in the mirror and say what if this is as good as it gets?

5 Likes

If you mean playing less than 16 minutes a game as a senior and in constant fear of getting yanked for the slightest mistake, I hope youā€™re wrong.

It takes bigs longer to develop than guards at UVA and Kadin has only played 1 and 1/3 seasons after his RS and mono plagued first two seasons. After Ty had played 1 and 1/3 seasons people
were going nuts because he had just been outplayed by Carter in the loss to WV. There is a lot of ball to be played both this year and next year and I have a lot of confidence in TBā€™s development abilities.

I mean as good as it gets is pretty good is the thing. He can be frustrating but every team we play has some very forgettable big

2 Likes

Very important point about free throw percentages given this offense is drawing a lot of fouls. Technically, Armaanā€™s free throw rate is slightly better and Reece isnā€™t too far behind Kadin. But for someone like Jayden, his style of play is going to draw a lot of fouls. Yet, heā€™s shooting 61% on the year and the team is at 70%.

3 Likes

If you filter by players this season who are playing >40% of minutes and have at least 15% usage, Kadin is one of only 31 players who are shooting over 70% on 2s. So while his shot volume is limited due to lack of his ability to create his own shot, and his shot diet leans heavily towards higher percentage shots, heā€™s very very good at finishing opportunities created for him and doing it at a level thatā€™s not easily replaced.

7 Likes

Thankfulness ā†’ Happiness

1 Like

Thatā€™s what you want from your big man. Finish plays, rebound, protect the rim. There arenā€™t many old fashioned back to the basket guys anymore, and for good reasonā€¦unless theyā€™re super elite at it itā€™s inefficient offense.

Iā€™d like to see Kadin get on the offensive glass a lot more. Thatā€™s whatā€™s missing from him right now imo.

14 Likes

We very much need someone in our frontcourt to take the Atkins/Wilkins/Salt/Key role of being the garbage man, someone who gets us 4-6 points a game off of putbacks and also does those volleyball tip offensive rebounds back to our guards to reset the possession. Iā€™ve noticed Gardner being a bit more active on that front, but Shedrick with his athleticism could certainly serve to help us in that department as well.

I agree itā€™s especially good if thatā€™s what you expect and plan around it. I think Kadin is a fine player who can have the occasional big night. Iā€™m more confused by the consistent chatter of if he breaks out when he breaks out. I think we know what we have in him and have to accept it for that and move on.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t realize the Branch Tobeydians still existed.

3 Likes

I agree with what your saying but i guess im old school. I think having a couple of reliable offensive options in the post would really help

2 Likes

If only it were that easy for everyone

2 Likes

Weā€™re everywhere.

1 Like

Generally agree unless he starts taking threes like Mamadi did his last year

1 Like

Clarkā€™s highlights are obvious over the years. But these pick pockets starting with the Houston game are in the mold of Saltā€™s screens. Itā€™s becoming part of Wahoo folklore.

3 Likes

I just think itā€™s funny everyone is debating Sheds when (at least in my very well established on LRA opinion) what has been holding this team back is consistent three point shooting from every other position. Like almost every big at UVA under Tony, Sheds is going to have some big nights and some quiet nights and heā€™ll likely never be the center of the offense. What we need is everyone else to hit from deep more consistently to open up the offense. Plus that will generate a lot more space for Kadin to operate in down low.

To be clear, Iā€™m fully pro all Sheds debate, I just continue to think his performance right now is like number 4 or 5 on the list of things Iā€™m watching to see if this team reaches its ceiling.

2 Likes