🏀 UVa Men's Basketball - January 2024

too many cooks in the kitchen? We have five more coaches than UNC. Let them play free!

1 Like

Reece is up to a 26.8% usage rate on the season, which would put him in the top-5 for a TB-era UVA player; can you guess the rest of the top 5 and which season they had their highest usage rate without checking?

1 Like

Brogdon 15-16
Kihei 19-20
Jayden 21-22
… that’s all I got

Spoiler: I got two, I think. Way way off on one

Also, I tend to look at shot %, not possessions ended, but I think technically usage is the latter, right?

2 Likes

Landesberg?

3 Likes

Yeah usage is possessions ended (turnovers and free throws included).

1 Like

Three of the top 5 (not including Reece) have been named:

1. Landesberg (09-10): 30.6%
  2. ???
  3. Gardner (21-22): 26.9%
  4. Brogdon (15-16): 26.8%
  5. Beekman (23-24): 26.8%

Perrantes?

Peaked at 24.0% in 16-17, which is like 20th for TB players.

One of Scott’s years would have to be in there I would think.

2 Likes

Yep. 2011-12 (when he should have been ACC POY), he was at 29.8%. I had a minutes filter on, but his 2010-11 season was pretty high too pre-injury.

Anyway, I dug that up to marvel some at what Reece has been able to do in terms of stepping firmly into the go-to guy role on offense while maintaining (and improving a little) his efficiency. His three-ball hasn’t been there this season, but he has gone from shooting 52% at the rim to 64% at the rim and from 28% on midrange 2s to 45%. Really good stuff.

8 Likes

Oh and on the subject of usage, Dunn’s moving 5-game average usage is up to 24.0% :eyes::eyes:

7 Likes

Feels like we’ve figured out a nice package for him, too. Needs to knock down those FTs now

6 Likes

I like this as a way to create some separation for IMac threes: have him set a screen first to leverage his gravity as a shooter, and then fly into a handoff with his man a step behind.

https://x.com/hoopvision68/status/1743011006337446017?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

3 Likes

UConn ran some similar action for Hawkins during their run last year, right?

Man once Buchanan gets some meat and Robinson gets comfortable… McKneely with actual screen setters.

4 Likes

UConn does some wildly intricate stuff off-ball. Excellent example of how to structure an offense with good spacing and still a ton of off-ball movement.

3 Likes

Yeah UConn would run DHO with a ton of stagger screens mixed in to get Hawkins looks on the perimeter.

Matt Painter also uses DHO’s a lot to run zoom action. It’s what Carsen Edwards killed us with in the first half of the E8 game.

2 Likes

I actually love this. What does DHO mean?

1 Like

Dribble handoff.

2 Likes

It’s a village in Nepal

1 Like

Rest in peace DHO is weird though

I love action with the big man at the top of the key like this. Opens so much stuff up when the DHO works right and you can cross two guys either side above it

Thank you @UVApride7

1 Like