UVa Network IDs & Old School Reminiscing

So funny how fast the kids can do this stuff now and is intuitive for them at a young age.

I would have Dropped that class when the teacher said microsoft in 2000

3 Likes

I was a TA for that class in 1997 and 1998. I believe it was CS100 while all of us “Toolies” took CS101 as our intro class. Never saw so many saucer-eyed students explaining how to code “Hello World” in Visual Basic in my life!

3 Likes

@jazznutUVA may have been the dude in the computer lab that laughed at me all flustered trying to do some assignment. Dude looked over and hit the ON switch after I sat there for 10 minutes banging on the keyboard to no avail

5 Likes

I did work the UVa IT Helpdesk my 3rd and 4th year… so I had a lot of calls where the printer plug wasn’t in the wall socket… or the monitor “on” button was not clicked.

I swear I sat next to Todd Braverman in Cocke or Clemons lab as he was working on a “Kickers of the ACC” website, probably for that class. I have no idea if my memory is at all accurate, but I definitely have this memory.

1 Like

I was in a class w/ Colin Ducharme a year when he made ACC All-Academic… and he used to fall asleep next to me snoring w/ drool all over his desk. I remember always thinking… “All-Academic my ass!”

6 Likes

Lol! A buddy of mine was in his HW group in some upper level math class and thought he was legit smart.

(I feel the need to stick up for those of us who realized class was often a good moment for a cat nap. :wink:)

2 Likes

I’m sure he was… it was just the optics of one class early in the morning. :wink:

1 Like

I just want to take a moment and appreciate the Colin Ducharme reference. That’s peak late 90’s Virginia there.

5 Likes

That sounds about right. It really hit that sweet spot for 4th year. My one disappointment was that I didn’t know about it earlier.

I had one other E School related class. It was a class that was a collaboration between the E School & College (Gov department) on science & technology policy. I was a politics major so it was a great class to take during that time.

The E School professor was Anita Jones. I don’t remember who it was from the Gov department but he certainly didn’t have her resume.

They would take turns giving the lectures in the class. But what I do remember was the government professor falling asleep in the front row for an entire class during one of her lectures. :joy:

3 Likes

I took several classes from Anita Jones… the class you are referring to was at the beginning of the Data Governance explosion as large-scale sharing of information over IT systems across the world. How do we develop policies on how to prevent spillage of information across country borders? How do we assure data is maintained for the proper amount of time to meet different government regulations on discovery if there are CIA/FBI investigations or Police subpoenas. Data Loss Prevention from insider threat, etc… it was a great class!

3 Likes

Technology export and sharing was a big part of it too. When I took it we were randomly assigned to groups and were given a topic and stance to debate against another group in the class. I was lucky to be in a group where everyone actually pulled their weight. So our debate in front of the class was a breeze for our side.

Back to the original topic, I definitely can remember the UVA ID for most of my friends to this day too. I had one friend that didn’t have a middle name. I’m pretty sure his ID was only four characters long instead of the standard five.

1 Like

My best friend doesn’t have a middle name, so at his school they used Xs as the middle initial for folks without middle names, and to this day we still call him Josh X.

2 Likes

I went the untraditional college route, and enlisted in the AF as a computer programmer before going to college. We programmed in a DoD programming language called Ada (mid-late 90’s) which was almost identical to Pascal.

My undergrad programming classes were in Pascal and the easiest classes I ever took…had already done it for 4 years.

1 Like

Ha… so you were the Airman that told Lt JazznutUVA that despite going to college for 4-years of programming, I was not qualified to help him on his coding project because I hadn’t gone to the Air Force programming school house. :joy: :joy: You wouldn’t happen to know Darren Stephens would you? He was an enlisted programmer, then went OTS and ended up in my tech school at Keesler.

Name’s not familiar.

And I wasn’t quite that bold, but I’m pretty sure I worked with a few guys who might have been :rofl:

1 Like

I had a few friends with 4 character emails due to lack of a middle name.

You know, I’m trying really hard to remember any of my friends’ emails and I can’t think of a single one. Not any of my roommates, not any ex-gfs. Just drawing blanks. I’m amazed you guys can remember those.

I do remember using crap interfaces like pcmail and dos command prompt style Unix mail. I even remember that faraday was the server for those of us in the college. I remember forgetting my password and calling the ITC help desk and they told me my password over the phone. Lot of opportunity for someone with malicious intent with that system.

I remember that the student ID card didn’t have an expiration date so I used it for student discounts (mostly at the movies) for years after I graduated.

So many 25 year old memories. Lots of regret for not taking advantage of the opportunities I had or could have had or even realizing the importance of those at the time. Stuff I could never do at another school. Some great memories of doing stuff with friends. Getting involved with different CIOs. Short-courses (I think that’s what they were called). IM sports.

4 Likes