UVA Professor Chat

… but what is the overall utility? externalities? Have you run any game theory experiments to prove your data?

1 Like

Did the TA route too. It was awful. I picked a terrible time slot (2nd semester 1st year so it’s not like I was going to get good choices).

She was nice enough but couldn’t teach, couldn’t make it interesting, couldn’t explain the exam or problem set answers.

Was very happy to get past that class and head into summer never to think about taking another Econ class again.

2 Likes

Class…

13 Likes

How many of said “gut” classes did one @DFresh11 take?

This was hardly an gut though the good Dr D understood Fresh was not coming in with strong bio background (10th grade level?)

Also got tricked into thinking Theatre Tech was a gut… Big Shawn Wilson (rip) did break the stage one day which was hilarious; shit maybe Tina Fey was in that class with us

Art History an absolute gut for sure

I was govt foreign affairs major after losing my mind of boredom in Accounting and getting Dplusmolished in Stats. One great professor was Robert Beck. Awesome guy I learned lot from. Also for you Nut I took a really cool something War class in ROTC building. The professor was a military stud and really really good teacher

Ok, lotta guts

3 Likes

My linear algebra professor was from Australia… it was the first time I Iearned the word “fortnight”… he told us we were having a quiz every fortnight… I leaned over to my classmate and said… “WTF is a fortnight?”

3 Likes

WTF type of class is that?

2 Likes

The kind where you drink lotta beera and rum at night but your professor is still up ready to go at 6am after drinkin you ALL under the table. LEGEND

4 Likes

Ah yea I’ve been in one of those classes.

6 Likes

Haha. there it is

4 Likes

Jealous. Wow no Freshman 15’s in that group.

3 Likes

History of Jazz with D’earth (sp?) was awesome. Best class ever. But I got scuba certified at UVA in a PE class, lifelong love now. That was amazing.

5 Likes

Yeah History of Jazz was great! We had to buy some jazz CD’s as well, which I still have and periodically listen to.

4 Likes

Ha that took me an minute. Also Fresh with hair!

3 Likes

Took that one as well… but not w/ John D’Earth who was the trumpet player if I remember correctly… it was the piano player… I can’t remember his name.

I tried to get him to be my thesis advisor, but he turned me down because he thought MIDI was stupid. Haha!

EDIT: Had to take the class… it’s part of my identity… jazznutUVA and all…

5 Likes

Scott Deveaux. He was great. His Miles Davis impression was hysterical.

4 Likes

My favorite class at UVA was probably History of American Poverty, although unfortunately I think the professor who taught it got a great opportunity somewhere else and left shortly after I took the class.

I remember once we were looking at representations of poverty in popular music and art, and Tom Joad came up. She talked about Grapes of Wrath, Woody Guthrie, Bruce Springsteen, etc., but after class I emailed her to point out that Rage Against the Machine had also done a cover in the late 90’s. Next class when we walk into the lecture hall it is blaring on the speakers. She was great.

Also shoutout to the class I took my last semester after I’d knocked out all my major requirements, which was titled something like Life Beyond Earth. I learned a ton about biology, astronomy, etc., in that class, and it was all presented in the very fun approach of examining the possibility of life existing elsewhere in the universe. Loved that class.

8 Likes

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

3 Likes

Makes me think of Cosmology… the gut class I took w/ Colin Ducharme…

From a post I made a while back…

3 Likes

…and? does it?

1 Like