UVA Professor Chat

Me too, love them! I still have the book of articles, readings too. Became a lifelong lover of jazz and jazz clubs because of that class!

2 Likes

Haha, well, one helpful way to think about its Drake equation. But the likelihood really depends on the values you assign to each of the variables, each one of which require a ton of thought and are subject to a ton of uncertainty.

1 Like

The obverse is the Fermi Paradox…

1 Like

I started reading and thought you were gonna tell me the rapper Drake figured the shit out!

Im personally with Albert Camus, everything one is a figment of your imagination anyway…

1 Like

Ah… my Engineering English class w/ professor Rose Byrne… she told us one day that she didn’t believe we existed unless we were in her classroom… trippy.

She also believed the USA should get rid of their military and be pacifists like Costa Rica did while I was in school…

She also didn’t believe in fate because of hub airports…

W.T.F…

2 Likes

She must have used LSD all day. thats hilarious

I had some Ethics class (total gut) and the teacher was young, proly TA, woman who was wild for lack of a better word. In terms of teaching style etc. Was a great class

2 Likes

My bro was an engineering student. Ran into a college Buddy somewhere (maybe an airport), and said “what are the odds” and the buddy’s response was to basically calculate the odds, and tell him it wasn’t that unlikely. Engineers! Can’t live with ‘em, can’t have bridges without ‘em. :wink:

7 Likes

Man, I took Cosmology from Hawley and it was not a gut. I did take ET Gut (Life Beyond the Earth). The class WAS easy but it was still a great class. I didn’t know it was a gut until I looked around the class and saw A LOT of football players.

4 Likes

I was SEAS and somehow avoided Granlund. I had Mark Duva for some classes in the late 80’s and got him to join our IM team after I was done taking his classes. He was a nerdy but nice dude who appreciated some run with the kids.

2 Likes

Now that I have a girl, I can vouch for this. Combing hair, doing braids, cutting nails, etc. much tougher than it looks.

7 Likes

Yep, people thought that joke was funny back then too. :smile:

3 Likes

Gotta play the classics! :wink:

3 Likes

There is so much about college that I’d do much differently if I knew then what I know now. So many opportunities that I could’ve taken advantage of at UVA that I didn’t either appreciate the significance of enough or flat out didn’t know about.

6 Likes

Had an Environmental Studies class with Ralph.
NBC camera crew showed up one day to film him while taking a class. Don’t think I saw him much after that

5 Likes

Pure sex

I mean it was on a small island …

1 Like

I took Sabato’s Gov & Foreign Affairs 101 in the Spring of ‘84 with Olden. One day, Olden rolled in about 20 minutes late and sat down next to me. He pulled out his notebook, leaned over to see what notes I had written, and wrote the same thing on his notebook. After about the third or fourth time he did that, I thought for a second of writing "Olden is a big ol’ dumbass" on my notebook. Even though it would have been kinda funny, my drive for self preservation kicked in, and I decided to just keep on taking notes.

3 Likes

Back in the spring of 1968 (long time ago) I was sitting in Gilmer Hall taking the Biol 2 final exam along with about 400 other people, but who should walk in 20 minutes late but Frank Quayle. He sat down for about 10 minutes, filled out the answer sheet and turned it in and walked out. Never saw him in there before or after. I assume he passed.

4 Likes

I took this History class on Jefferson. It was 300 level and took it fall of my first year like a dumb ass and the professor Peter Onuf was good but a bit nuts. The kicker was he biked to class in dress clothes. Looked like Buzz Williams at the end of a game every single class.

7 Likes