UVa stuff at the National Sports Collector Convention

Little recap.

10 Likes

What are the mechanics of making a $200k purchase in person at a card convention? Did they pay cash? Whip out a credit card? Have to produce a certified check?

2 Likes

At that level feel like lawyers have to get involved

3 Likes

5lb gold bar?

3 Likes

Wire transfer under contract on the spot my guess. No clue

2 Likes

I like the gold bar answer but this makes sense too.

Yes same. I shoulda stayed quiet on the semi rhetorical question. my bust

Nah, it’s okay. I’m legitimately interested in the correct answer too.

1 Like

It was a wire transfer. They talked about doing a coinbase wallet transfer of bitcoin, but ended up doing a wire.

It was wild. There was a $4.3 million dollar sale of a patrick mahomes card as well.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s insane. I’m so out of touch on the collectibles market.

As soon as I posted the gold bar joke, it occurred to me that it was probably Bitcoin.

Nice sale there. I love Mahomes but would sell it ALL here

It would be smart for these dealers to make up these sales as a act. Because it absolutely made me feel better about spending $400 on a Ty Jerome card…

8 Likes

If you didnt buy that Gus Gerard we may not ever pod cast together again

1 Like

OF course I bought it. Had to have a Gus G.

2 Likes

This is great stuff! I collected cards when I was younger and probably have a box of cards from the 90s in storage. Is there anywhere local (and trustworthy) that would look through to see if anything valuable?

I just looked them up on ebay, but I generally knew what was worth money. If you create a video of you flipping through all the cards and post it on youtube. I think Twitter and Forums will help you…

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that and would love to see more of it. When I was 17 years old my Daddy’s store burnt down do to a freak accident. I lost a lot of baseball cards from the early 60s until about 1970. There is no telling how much they would be worth today

3 Likes

Watch this…I saw this kid walking around the convention… interesting world of cards now. Kids with deep pockets.

1 Like

wow…that’s tragic. Where was the store?

1 Like

Exit 1 on I-77 in Carroll County, VA. Was originally just a country store until the interstate come through. A camper was filling up with gas. The guy who was driving it was doing something underneath. It caused some sparks that started the fire. Fire was hitting the canopy and bouncing onto an old tar roof. Once the roof caught on fire there was nothing that could be done but get out and get away