🏊‍♀️ UVa Swimming

Thought Douglass was the NCAA swimming GOAT. Gretchen Walsh might surpass her. Nation-leading times in six events going into ACCs (only five now — her sister and Bella Sims at Florida posted faster 200IM times at their conference meets).

1 Like

Think Douglass is still the goat. Some of the best are out this year prepping for Paris (one was Douglass who left a year early to focus on the Olympics). Still, Walsh is an amazing talent. Incredible how good the program is right now.

2 Likes

She didn’t leave a year early — just opted not to take a fifth year.

Torri Huske is the only one who’s missing this year who’d be a potential NCAA champion on the women’s side. Curzan was ineligible unless she were to seek a waiver (she missed the portal deadline). And there’d be no overlap with Walsh unless she swims 100 fly.

Walsh likely goes 50 free-100 free-100 back again.

2 Likes

Didn’t mean to imply Douglass didn’t graduate, just that she could have come back for the extra year. Should have phrased that differently.

Thanks for the info on who took off this year. I thought there were more. Good stuff Lodger.

1 Like

Gretchen Walsh is now officially entering NCAA GOAT territory.

In one meet, she:

(1) has broken the 50 free NCAA and American record twice — lowering the 20.79 she shared with Maggie Macneil to 20.77 then 20.57.

(2) has become the first woman to break the 20-second barrier on relay split for the 50 free, on an NCAA-record-setting 200 free relay.

(3) has broken Kate Douglass’ American and NCAA 100 fly record — lowering from 48.46 to 48.25. And

(4) has set a new NCAA and American 100 back record, lowering her own mark of 48.26 to 48.10.

It would not be shocking to see her break Simone Manuel’s record in the 100 free tomorrow. She missed it by 0.05 seconds last March at NCAAs. (Oh, and her sister just broke the NCAA mark for the 200 fly, hitting 1:49.16.

But Dragon wants to tear down the AFC for football!

For those inclined, nice interview with her from today.

2 Likes

I’ll say this for swimming: they don’t delay the game just because of a little rain

Most people only care about swimming every 4 years in the Olympic cycle, but what we’re witnessing with the UVA women over the past few years is insane.

Douglass breaking the 50-meter Free long-course American record at the same time G. Walsh breaks the 50-yard Free short-course record.

Douglass obliterating the 200-yard IM American record last year en-route to being a Gold Medal favorite this year (tough compettion from Australia’s Kaylee McKeown, Canada’s Summer McIntosh if she swims it, and UVA’s own Alex Walsh).

Totally under the radar is Alex Walsh breaking the 200-yard Fly NCAA record tonight - in an event she hasn’t even swum in a year!

I want to see us beat UNC in hoops Saturday as much as anyone, but hopefully people can appreciate what’s going on in UVA Women’s Swimming right now.

btw - Serge Zwikker was my least favorite Tarheel - entirely because I was benched in a UVA JV hoops game in 1991 against Harker Prep because I didn’t front him. I’m 6’3". He’s 7’3". Why the hell would I front him in the post?

Ha - good memories…

5 Likes

I might have to admit I was wrong Lodger. Incredible meet from Gretchen. She caps it off with a great NCAA performance and i definitely will!

1 Like

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/all-sports/virginia-wins-four-titles-on-day-four-at-acc-swim-dive-championships

2 Likes

4th American record in 4 days for Gretchen.

45.16 100-Free is crazy - and she’s still getting better.

Nocentini going sub-47 is great, too…

3 Likes

Virginia dominance. Gracious. Electric atmosphere. 4x100 relay left before another championship!

3 Likes

Crazy to think that UVa now has every 200 and under record but 100 breast (it will take a lot to take down King) and 200 free (Franklin’s record might be one of the unbeatables). And 200 back — Curzan will take that one down next year.

But:

50 free — G Walsh
100 free — G Walsh
100 fly — G Walsh
200 fly — A Walsh
100 back — G Walsh
200 breast — Douglass
200 IM — Douglass

And all set in the last 12 months.

6 Likes

Looks like UVA women are in position to win another national championship. Hoos lead after Day 2.

7 Likes

Maybe the most dominant collegiate sports team of all time

7 Likes

They sure are locked and loaded for years to come. The men’s team is poised to make a leap too.

1 Like

Greg Domecq your coach?

1 Like

Yes, he was. Interesting guy…

1 Like

Hahahahahah. Ya think???

1 Like

He’s the one who yanked me because I didn’t front 7"3" Serge Zwikker in the post once against Harker Prep.
I’m 6’3" - and nobody else was behind him.
Ha - fun memories of playing JV though!

1 Like

Texas won 5 straight and 7 in 8 years in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Stanford won 5 straight, 6 in 7 years, and 7 in 10 years in the 1990s. We’re have an incredible team and are approaching Texas and Stanford but have to win a few more to be the most dominant swimming team in history.

1 Like