UVA vs Iowa game thread

You doubt Igor’s ability to become a lock-down defensive stopper???

1 Like

I’ll put myself in “doubt Igor” detention now. :wink:

2 Likes

Fresh found out the hard way

2 Likes

Wasnt Iowa favored last night?

2 Likes

In the Lehigh game, on D Igor looked uncertain but not absolutely terrified like he did against Coppin State, and his reactions to the other team’s plays were quicker and crisper. He’s still very much a work in progress, that block he got was almost certainly accidental, but he put in the work on those steals and his diving save of possession on that ball rolling out of bounds was a hustle play Zay would have been proud of.

2 Likes

Smoke that Tony is going to play Igor 30 minutes tonight #vegasalwaysknows

5 Likes

I heard he’s gonna play him the whole game. We’ll win by 40

3 Likes

Not to derail thread too much, why did UVA back off of Holmes?

I think we backed off of him. Don’t remember why though

Could be remembering wrong, but I thought somebody said he wanted to play too much on the perimeter or something like that. Or maybe wasn’t tough enough on the defensive end.

Either way, watching him at Dayton so far - and how well he moves with his size and length - well I might have made a different call. But I’m not a coach, and they’re the experts. Although with how the last four recruiting classes turned out, maybe me making the calls wouldn’t have hurt us that much, haha.

2 Likes

I think maybe we were Kaufman of busy

2 Likes

Rothstein’s been tweeting out updates on player availability for ACC-Big Ten challenge games so I wonder if there’s something going on there on the Iowa side that’s moved the line

2 Likes

Bigger suprise in line shift is the Iowa -1 to UVa -2.5. I wouldn’t read a ton into the .5 shift. Could be some money coming in late.

1 Like

I suspect Murray or Bohannon has the flu or something.

Hopped over to the Iowa forums to see what they’re saying about the game/line movement.

“I can’t wait for this game…we will finally see how these guy’s play against solid opposition. That said, Virginia is a very high level defensive team and not so good on offense. I can’t understand how we were a favorite at one time? That said, I also wonder what has happened to move this line?”

“Huh. Virginia plays a low scoring style with a stout defense. They’ve been somewhat challenged offensively so far being ranked 97th in offensive efficiency. If Iowa really is improved defensively they should be able to hold them under 70 as they’ve only exceeded that total once against Radford. I don’t know that Virginia can hold the Hawks under that figure. I like the Hawks outright and the over in this one. It will definitely be a tougher test than any they’ve faced to date. 70-66 Hawks”

Reality check for these Hawks tonight. Hope I’ll be proven wrong.

Good to know they’re generally just as pessimistic as we are over here.

11 Likes

That is strangely comforting.

Also kinda amusing seeing a fanbase fear the Hoos. I’ve spent so long inside the UVa bubble that I only see them as world beaters or dumpster fires

6 Likes

I just worry that even if Iowa has the same defensive issues that have plagued them for years, we don’t have the offense to really punish that as much as we need to. And if they’re hot from three, well, we’ve seen that movie before. I don’t feel great about tonight’s game to be honest. But hopefully we pull it out.

4 Likes

Having prowled around other forums a bit, at least from what I’ve seen most other teams’ fans are exactly as pessimistic as we are. The exceptions being Kentucky (who are insanely overconfident about everything), NC State (just kind of insane and bitter), Duke, and, sadly, Nova. Nova fans used to be pretty cool, but ever since the 2nd Natty I’ve found them to be insufferable.

Edit - Actually, I should clarify this by noting that Duke fans are incredibly overconfident about Duke recruiting while their game expectations are more reasonable.

5 Likes

NC State has never lost a game that their fans weren’t convinced was stolen by the refs or an ACC conspiracy orchestrated by UNC.

6 Likes

And Iowa’s offensive style kills most mid and low majors even when they are bad. You have to see them against high major competition before you know if it’s a good Iowa year.

1 Like