UVA vs Providence game thread

You need to get papi going because we have no bigs. Whether injury or foul trouble, he’s going to play. Igor is just not ready physically for extensive acc play at the five.

Kody so far has been the only one shooting well from behind the arc. Not a high sample size but he’s been solid.

I have no real understanding of why no mccorkle or Murray

4 Likes

By all data metrics:
2 years ago that 5-9 guard was mediocre defensively. We had the best frontcourt defense in UVA history (Key, Huff, Diakite). Clark and TW and Morsell were all about the same
In 2019 he was the worst defender on the team and Guy was 2nd worst. Both of them were bad. Having Hunter and Key and Salt and Diakite and Huff covered that up defensively. But what really covered it up was how good the BIG 3 were on offense.
in 2021, Clark was the worst defender in the rotation and it wasn’t close. That actually showed how good each defender was without a stud frontcourt ready to erase mistakes - only Huff at the rim. Beekman and Woldetensae were significantly better and Morsell was better too.

1 Like

Murray is 1/1 on threes

If we had beat Navy, we would think about this team very differently, even though you see all the offensive weaknesses demonstrated against GA and Radford.

4 Likes

You’re individual defensive metrics are worthless for most players, especially in a defense like ours. They reward measurable stats, which while nice, are not the only things defense is about. It’s about much more than steals, blocks and rebounds.

There’s no way our defense could have been as good as it was in 2020 without all five starters (and backups) being really good to great defenders

But if you want to act like you know more than one of the best defensive coaches ever, go for it.

6 Likes

In the world of Tony Bennett apparently.

4 Likes

I’m fine with you believing that Kyle Guy was a good defender. We all can believe anything if you tell it to yourself enough times. I don’t “believe” Kyle was a bad defender. I know he is. It’s the main reason he can’t land in the NBA.

I’m not talking about Kyle. I’m talking about Kihei. Everyone knows Guy wasn’t the best defender in the world. Jim Boeheim pretty much said as much after our opening season win in 19-20

2 Likes

Yeah as I said. Don’t know why he’s not playing more

You are talking about Guy because you said the individual defensive metrics are worthless.
Guy was really bad in individual defensive metrics his whole career and on tape.
Clark has been the same in 3 of his 4 years - the only year his metrics weren’t bottom 2 on the team was 2020 when we had studs in the frontcourt defensively - and all the guards were about the same in metrics that year. He was 89.2 and Morsell was last among rotation players at 91.5.

Well, let’s all at least attempt to get ourselves in a good head space for tonight, haha. We’ve got a good opportunity here! Would be a great win if we can pull it off.

3 Likes

Providence apparently plays a man to man defense with some switching and also throws in a 1-3-1 zone from time to time. Will we be able to score? lol

1 Like

Man to man gives me hope that Reece can get some drives to the hoop.

2 Likes

Well, the guards switch and so it’s not just a 1 for 1 matchup with Kihei vs one guy. But did you not see the Navy game (10-13 3 pt by Navy guards) or the Houston game (11-20 3 pt by guards)? That’s 64% from 3-pt land by guards in our two losses.

Houston getting hammered by a Wisconsin team whose only loss is Providence at home. And Northwestern hammering Georgia after losing to Providence yesterday. Transitive property does not bode well for us tonight.

4 Likes

We roll tonight. Gravity

10 Likes

That Houston beat-down is pretty impressive.

Another way of looking at it is that Wisconsin’s early 3 point shooting has been even worse than ours, and they’re hitting 46% of their 3s against Houston’s solid perimeter D (along with just 3 TOs). So, I take this as a sign that we’re due to bust out of our outside shooting funk.

Edit - NW’s work on GA is pretty solid as well. GA has almost has twice as many TOs as FGM. If not for all the FTs, this would be a classic UVA-style strangling.

3 Likes

Someone explain to the old guy what all is involved with the defensive metrics .I want to know what exactly determines the number each player gets

I think we should all temper expectations tonight based on the transitive property.

1 Like

Providence is old and they’re good. It’ll take UVA’s best effort to date to have a chance.

7 Likes