šŸ€ UVA vs UNC, Sat 24 Feb, 1600, ESPN

Hopefully look to the opportunity ahead and accept that literally anyone can and has been blown out on the road this year.

UNC is without a doubt the best team we will have played this season. They play in the mold that most successful UNC teams have. They play fast and have atleast 4 capable scorers on the court at all times. Theyā€™re playing at a high level defensively to go along with the great offense, although Iā€™m not sure how much of that is because theyā€™re actually playing good defenseā€¦

I think a lot of their success on that side of the ball comes from their style of play and having good scorers. They put a lot of pressure on their opponents to match their high level of scoring, which can lead to teams pressing and taking bad shots. If you arenā€™t disciplined, itā€™s very easy to get sucked into their game of running up and down the court trying to score. Teams that are undersized at all 3 guard spots donā€™t typically rank in the top 30 in 3point defense, for example. Theyā€™re very good limiting second chance opportunities as Bacot is one of the premier true bigs in the game.

For the Hoos most of the game is a matter of just playing Virginia basketball. We know that forcing them to play at our pace can give even the best of UNC teams trouble, especially when in Charlottesville, given the results of the last decade-plus. The only spot that I think is a real area of concern for us if weā€™re playing our A game, is dealing with Bacot. He has the size and strength to give us fits to the point that we may not be able to handle. Jordan Minor is going to have to have his best performance of the season IMO.

Aside from that the x-factor in this one is the Dunn/Ingram matchup. We canā€™t afford to let him get hot to add to the deadly duo of RJ Davis/Bacot. Ryan is going to have to be ready to bring it.

Iā€™ll end with thisā€¦ our last 2 games havenā€™t been pretty, I donā€™t think anyone denies that. But I did think we brought the energy on Saturday (against Wake) in a way that has become vintage UVAā€¦ our guys appeared to me to understand that they really needed to pick up that win and locked in to winning it however they had to. (Except the free throws). Iā€™m expecting a locked in effort and hoping that the extra couple days off this week will give us an offensive boost to go with it.

5 Likes

Damn! Weā€™re holding them scoreless! Impressive.

1 Like

We actually play tomorrow! Letā€™s go! This week was a long haul. Honestly donā€™t know how we can lose when LRA family gets together. Need to get this thread going again so Iā€™ll ask this:

Name the UNC player you hated/disliked the most? Why? Extra points for irrational diatribesā€¦.

4 Likes

Ademola Okulaja - hit the game winner in 1999

2 Likes

Good call and tough one to spell

3 Likes

Bacot.

He looks like a ram. He doesnā€™t have a chin. He talks shit about his teammates in press conferences but is always at 75% effort. He was on the teen Netflix drama OBX. He elbows dudes in the throat and doesnā€™t get called. He doesnā€™t get called for anything, ever. He once photoshopped himself with big biceps and pretended it was always meant to be a joke.

9 Likes

Great call on the Ramā€¦.

1 Like

Need Minor to manage Bacot like he did DJ Burns. AND everyone needs to score and make their Free Throws damn it!

5 Likes

Serge Zwikker. Because he blocked me with his elbow in a menā€™s league rec game many years after he retired from pro ball.

6 Likes

I totally forgot Okulaja passed away recently. Now Iā€™m just a jerk (or again)

3 Likes

I regret that I have but one like to give this post.

4 Likes

Disappointed Colton Dunn GIF by Superstore

2 Likes

I actually appreciate UNC getting back to recruiting hate worthy players.

I didnā€™t hate, and actually kind of liked, Cam Johnson and Coby white, and that was fucking gross.

4 Likes

Please Leave Season 5 GIF by ABC Network

UNC appreciation will not be tolerated itā€™s 365

4 Likes

This is irrational, but for me itā€™s the role players who sucked but because they were at UNC, other people talked about them like they were good. Like, no, I really donā€™t have to believe you when you try to convince me that JP Tokoto is good.

3 Likes

Bacot is definitely the UNC player I hate the most. He is cocky and belligerent .Donā€™t forget the ACC goes through him. In the Sampson days i got into a lot of heated arguments when UNC had Jordan, Worthy and Perkins. I hated UNC but I respected their players. Bacot acts more like one of them Duke jerks. They were too good to play in the NIT and i believe Bacot is the reason why they did.

5 Likes

LeAkY bLaCk iS tHe bEsT dEfEnDer iN tHe aCc

4 Likes

Theo Pinson. Marcus Paige. Joel Berry (in college at least. Donā€™t like him so much as an analyst). Royā€™s last 5-7 years they had lot of likable guys

5 Likes

Oh man I forgot that he was there up through last season.

Blasphemy, lol