UVA vs UNC thread

He was tonight. 6 three pointers.

4 Likes

Make that 5 straight. And 6 or more in the last three road games.

7 Likes

Kudos to Casey also. He had a big game tonight

7 Likes

Wolentensae is the most improved player Iā€™ve ever seen for an in season jump

6 Likes

I did my usual write up when Woldetensae committed after watching a couple of his JUCO games online. About the only thing I remember is saying heā€™ll need a big adjustment period. Not much defense played at JUCOs. His team regularly topped 100 points. Half the game was transition. Only occasionally went against D1 caliber players. Throw in the wrist injury. It was going to take a while.

8 Likes

May just be me, but Iā€™ve thought Casey has looked much more confident and comfortable the last two games.

10 Likes

No i think youā€™re right. Heā€™s playing with more confidence

5 Likes
4 Likes

Just occurred to me that was exactly the same way (play?) Kyle Guy hit a late go ahead 3 his first year against FSU. Looked like the game winner, but then Dwayne Bacon came down and stole it at the buzzer Same spot on the court. London drove under the basket just like Kihei and kicked it to Kyle in the corner.

8 Likes

Not quite the same play, KG got an off ball screen from Wilkins but in this that big, Diakite, cut to the hoop. Just got kinda lucky that the UNC player guarding Tomas went to help on Kihei leaving Tomas open. Similar play but a tad different.

4 Likes

Woldetensaeā€™s wrist played a larger part than anyone wants to admit. His injury was more severe than Kihei or Braxton. Tomas has a profound wrist snap in his follow through. He simply didnā€™t have complete range of motion in the wrist and it took a longer time for it to return in full. Now that it has, UVAā€™s offense has a dimension that could make them a tough out in the post-season.

5 Likes

I recommend watching it over and over again.

8 Likes

Game winner from court side!

5 Likes

Killer observation i remember that play

1 Like

Unreal poise by Tomas there especially being in short corner and staying both in bounds and behind the three off pump fake and dribble.

One observation I had early in the season is when he caught the ball on the perimeter he was not squaring up to the basket, he sort of turned sideways with his left shoulder first. Is one of those little huge things that I think has been corrected and makes him more of a threat.

Go Hoos! We are finishing games now and doesnt matter who against. These outcomes make the guys know what they need to do to finish out the win.

8 Likes

The other thing that is great to see is Kihei making such a calm play on his drive. A. He had to beat his guy on penetration B. He made great decision among the trees to not go up to the basket for lay up that proly gets blocked C. Another dime to the right guy for the win

Always felt early in the season this was the key to the offense. Kihei making the right plays off of his penetration. He has really really seemed to have figured that out.

6 Likes

2 things from last night that I loved even if only for a few minutes. 1 we played a lineup that did not have Kihei or chase on the court. Not that either of them do much wrong, but Iā€™d wanted to see what weā€™d do if we couldnā€™t have a true point on the floor. Kihei has been awesome but it never hurts to have something to go to if for any reason he isnā€™t available. Second thing, we played a lineup with huff and Caffaro both. Just thinking of a lineup next year with Kihei Tomas Hauser Jay and Caffaro has me excited. Floor spacing will be about as good as itā€™s been for us next year with Tomas and Hauser on the court together, combined with the length of jay and Caffaro together. If we can make it work, itā€™s a lethal lineup just off those 2 things.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Cold Bloodedā€¦ his wordsā€¦ love it

4 Likes

Also kyleā€™s reaction

10 Likes