Virginia vs Georgia game thread

You are correct but this has been an issue with almost (?) every big to throw on a UVA uniform the last decade.

3 Likes

Can we teach Kadin the Gardner no hesitate motion? Gardner is a bit of blackhole once it goes down low, but man, he gets into his move quick with ZERO hesitation.

4 Likes

Yeah, one thing that Beekman and Gardner have done a few times is this quick… I’m not sure exactly what its called, its not exactly a pick and roll, that gets Gardner going downhill just as Beekman would pass it to him. Every time I’ve seen them do it its been points, except one time vs Coppin State where Beekman tried to pass it between two defenders and they picked it off instead.

The point being, if Gardner can get a head of steam towards the hoop with the ball, the man is a bowling ball.

3 Likes

Been talkin about gravity for a long time. It’s why they couldn’t double McHale and Parish with Bird in the game. Steph is the greatest example - take a peek here of with Curry and without. With Curry it got Durant to fake Finals MVP’s that Curry deserved. He literally gets double teamed without the ball.

so just means defenders gravitate to the ball when certain guys get it?

2 Likes

Just need to recruit the next greatest shooter in the history of the game. Should be a piece of cake.

4 Likes

Gravity attracts defenders whether you have the ball or not. With Steph it’s even more when he doesn’t have the ball - defenders have to stay right on him and it opens up the floor for everyone else. Watch every pick and roll between Steph and Green… they double Steph, he throws it to Green who then gets to play 4 on 3 the rest of the play. I’m sure you experienced it in High school as I did - I faced my share of box in ones. Watch when Steph is moving without the ball - teams are so afraid of him they leave teammates open all the time.

1 Like

Really good gravity breakdown here in a recent game: Steph Curry created 33 straight points in the 4th quarter! - YouTube

1 Like

Ty and Kyle had enormous gravity. Definitely gotta have shooters

5 Likes

thank you. imma make list of moon guys where defenders stay away…

1 Like

Is this why all the Tipton edits have moons in them?

1 Like

wowowowowowowow

A stats guy I know who runs Nylon Calculus actually does 3D gravity visualizations for NBA players using tracking data & shot data, it’s a little bit too high-tech for my liking (it’s easier to just watch the games lol) but the graphs look pretty cool.

6 Likes

Yeah, that looks super cool, but seems hard to interpret.

3 Likes

stalagtites or mites?

4 Likes

Man back in my day…

3 Likes

tites I think, they’re the ones that go down haha. My gravity chart would be all stalagmites tho

1 Like

My gravity chart:

5 Likes

So, Giannis is the Mariana’s Trench of the NBA?

3 Likes

The dude who made the gravity charts, Andrew Patton, also wrote code that will watch a college basketball broadcast, track where every player is in every frame, and use that to track every single play’s outcome and also create NBA draft projections for every college basketball player on the floor for a bunch of different skills. I saw it was at the sports analytics conference Daryl Morey runs last year. Crazy stuff.

7 Likes