🏀 Virginia vs Notre Dame, Wed 31 Jan, 1900, ESPN2

4 Likes

@jazznutUVA is a bad influence on Josh

4 Likes

Dont expect them to start out as hot in JPJ as they did last game. Look for lots of Dante minutes against Markus. Speed on speed

5 Likes

Is Dante really as fast as he’s supposed to be right now as he still works back from injury?

2 Likes

Fair question. Not sure but hes fast north south still. Laterally maybe not as much?

2 Likes

Yeah Id argue with how he has been defensively the last thing we want is Dante in vs Burton. Would be playing Dante because of this idea that since he’s small and quick he should be a good match for Markus. Instead of the reality that since coming off the ankle injury his defense has been atrocious. Ty Laur Johnson taking him off the dribble and finding the open 3 on the collapse comes to mind.

I recall Markus punishing a lot of the hedges spliting the defenders on screens and penetrating a lot. Also punishing slow close outs on rotations stemming from our defensive breakdowns.

Just have Reece guard him iso and don’t help

10 Likes

Ok good. Dante will not play as much and Eli will

7 Likes

Planet Of The Apes Laughing GIF

5 Likes

Gonna need both on him. Don’t think Dante is sliding as well with his ankle right now. Tighten em up Eli!

3 Likes

Flat hedge and trust Reece to be able to stop Markus from turning the corner. And help on drives as if you are wagering that their shooting performance in the first game was an aberration (which if you look at how they’ve shot from 2 and 3 since then, seems like a reasonable bet).

3 Likes

I’m now including @JBHoo in the @jazznutUVA moderator coaching tree… spread your wings and fly Josh!

2 Likes

They rank on Torvik #320 at 3 point shooting, as a team they’re at 29.8%…. Even with Getter getting them prepared hitting 11 3’s was an aberration. But sometimes it’s just your day (ex: an alley oop banked in 3 at the shot clock buzzer).

The flat hedge should be very beneficial here. Over showing was imo a lot of why he was able to split so much. But Markus is still an excellent player. We’ll have our hands full forsure. I get what @Hooandtrue is saying with Dante but I still expect it to be a look we throw. One of the best ways to try and get to a very good young player is to throw out multiple different looks.

7 Likes

Our defense’s problem in the first game against Notre Dame wasn’t personnel and it wasn’t strategy. It was that we flat out did not guard well. We were slow, we were lazy, we were sloppy. We’ve made changes since then – inserting Minor, adjusting the hedges, etc. – but I really think the biggest difference is that we’re just playing harder and more aggressively. Effort and intensity go a long, long way.

4 Likes

I honestly think we annihilate them on Wednesday

4 Likes

I think this is a good take. I remember @HoozGotNext saying something similar. Yeah the hedges and doubles were bad but there were defensive breakdowns that were happening even in non-help D situations.

2 Likes

If he doesn’t box out speed won’t matter. Marcus will have layups all night.

Markus is great at penetrating in the middle from the top as well. Which is where I understand the packline pushes yoju

How great is it for the league that he’s so good? I really hope he sticks around. Good start in getting the ACC back to where it should be.

1 Like

Such a great point

1 Like

Oh my, @Jerome , it makes me nervous when you say that. You are usually nervous about every team we play!

2 Likes