Virginia vs Syracuse, Sat, 2 Dec, 1200, ESPN2

Neutralize Mintz and we win this going away… pretty simple.

@JBHoo… no need for a preview blog anymore… I did it in one sentence above. :rofl: :joy:

11 Likes

Mintz is the kind of guy Reece!! Can just bury. Mintz likes things easy, and is very very good when things are easy. Wont be the case against us

15 Likes

You recommend putting X on him? Put any combination of X, Dunn & Reece on him and we are golden.

4 Likes

I do. Like someone said when we sub our change guys there is no rest for the player

8 Likes

Reece locks up Mintz. Dunn puts Justin Taylor in prison.

Then when Reece and Dunn get their lunch break, Bond and Eli come in and make their lives even worse

13 Likes

The lineup they play most is Mintz-Starling-Taylor-Bell-McLeod, with Brown coming in for McLeod for their second most-played lineup. I know McLeod is huge, but I might feel inclined just to stick with Groves in the starting lineup and make McLeod cover someone in space. They actually don’t rebound that great with their starting lineup (23.6% offensive rebounding rate per Hoop Explorer, and gives up 41.7% OR to opponents); they are better rebounding with Maliq in (34.1% OR, 31.0% opposing OR).

4 Likes

Mintz did really well against Reece last year.

Dropped 18 and 20 shooting 50%+ both games. He’s legit. And it was mostly Reece on him, a little of Kihei but not for long.

Can’t remember how much Reece was hobbled. Either way, he’ll be a handful. The rest of the team, not so much.

10 Likes

I think Bell and Taylor aren’t quite scary enough as shooters to deter Dunn helping pretty aggressively off whichever of them he’s covering. And certainly I think they should help off Starling very aggressively, he can have as many 3PA as he wants.

1 Like

It will be interesting – and strange – to go up against a Syracuse team that is not playing zone.

I was always confident we could beat them because I thought Tony could adjust to Boeheim’s zone. I have no idea what they look like as a man-to-man team.

4 Likes

Reece Beekman:

challenge accepted training GIF

10 Likes

This will be my first and only game I get to attend this season, so I am especially geeked for the game! I do worry about Mintz, because he can get his in spite of Reece. I want to see the continued offensive wrinkles develop, and the defense clamp down on everyone else. I’ll be the Asian guy pacing up and down the stairs in the nosebleeds!..

16 Likes

To be fair, them not playing zone is a good way to avoid Rohde and IMac dropping 20 threes on them so I understand

5 Likes

Getting cardio while watching the game! Great multi-tasking!

4 Likes

Honestly the player that scares me the most on Cuse is McLeod, their giant center. Worried about him dominating on the glass as a rebounder and shot blocker in the limited time he plays.

I’m confident that we’ll be able to neutralize Cuse’s guards even with how good they are at dribble penetration, if you can’t shoot against the packline you’re gonna have issues and Starling especially has been ice cold from deep to start the year.

2 Likes

https://x.com/uvamenshoops/status/1730318919334838753?s=46&t=TLtc0ruA8RdBi8KFTrhv5Q

13 Likes

I’m a simple man. I’d just like to see us score more than 65 points.

90 Day Fiance Need GIF by TLC

16 Likes

Hoos open -9.5

4 Likes

Orange is very talented… prepared too with games against good teams.

4 Likes

It feels weird and even a little sad to not get to play against the Syracuse zone this year. I’m just so used to that being one of the distinct challenges in the decathlon that is the college season. Instead it’s like they canceled the pole vault and replaced it with yet another running race.

5 Likes