Virginia vs Texas A&M, Wed, 29 Nov, 1915, ESPN2 The Ocho

I’m down in San Antonio with my wife’s family who are all Aggies alum (10+ alum, but I stopped counting years ago)… I was trying to talk with them about the game next Wed, but almost all of them, actually all of them had no idea who their basketball team was playing as all the care about is their football team. One of them actually told me… our basketball team is pretty good this year I think, but all I care about today is PSU…

None of them really knew anything about Buzz Williams and all believed they could hire ANY football coach they wanted after Jimbo was fired because they were Texas A&M and they were the best job in college football. Hahaha!

11 Likes

A&M going to drop this game to FAU… Henry Coleman left injured and FAU was hot from 3 all game.

2 Likes

No offense to your wife’s side of the family, but A&M has always given me the same vibe as Penn State fans. Very sports cultish, off in their own world and bubble.

4 Likes

I’m not offended… it’s interesting as only my sister and I went to UVa… the rest of my extended family are PSU alum… so I get it from both sides.

Note: My wife did go to Baylor though… so I get that dynamic as well.

2 Likes

How serious is the Coleman injury?

1 Like

Hasn’t been announced. TBD.

1 Like

Really need to attack their pressure. If we don’t play with fear/stuck in our own heads than this is one of the worst defenses we play. If we play passive/moverblocker heavy/not driving and taking initiative then we play into their hands and this becomes essentially the 3rd game of the Fort Myers ugly fest.

Somehow Im more optimistic just because of the 2nd half adjustments vs WVU, dante minutes be damned (only played 9 minutes). Leon Bond as a guard is huge for us: 2ndary perimeter defender we need. Can switch on screens instead of hedging. Is probably one of our more skilled scorers. Lets Rohde play on ball more which is more of his strengths as well. And more aggressive action getting Reece Rohde Dunn Bond to the rim with the McKneely/Groves kickout and Buchanan in pick n roll/dump off situations like the Florida game. That’s our 7 baby.

11 Likes

I didn’t get too watch much today, but it seemed that A&M was playing a lot of zone. Seems like the corner three was open a lot. Did they do that all game?

2 Likes

No idea. I know at times when Ive watched them they’ve also pressured and trapped a lot.

this below is basically how I feel (found this tweet by @Cuts_from_The_Corner that more sufficiently explains how I feel lol)

https://twitter.com/CutsfromCorner/status/1728107540125479100

10 Likes

I hope we keep trying to give Minor a few first-half minutes (even if it’s only 2 minutes and 2 fouls, sigh). Him being able to just “hold down the fort” for a few minutes here and there would significantly raise our floor, if only because of inevitable foul-trouble games.

6 Likes

A twitter search of Henry Coleman reinforces my belief that sports would be finished in 2023 without gambling. Majority of mentions are betting related, asking for their Coleman props to be voided. haha

9 Likes

I just watched the replay of the injury… it looked like a knee issue. Just conjecture though.

1 Like

Corey said ankle, so … I didn’t watch but about half the game on and off. Saw them in man a lot. It is really irritating that they lost, when they likely would’ve won with Coleman. Now, he will come back for a 20th ranked team and they will play like a 12th ranked team.

BTW, their point guard, Taylor, has really got game. Really tried to take over that game (came close to being successful). Lots of Buzz type lower your head and go to the bucket. He has great body control and finished a lot of difficult shots - particularly difficult because the D had to know that the drive to the bucket was exactly was he was going to do. Had 32 points when I stopped watching. Reece will be busy.

5 Likes

Did Cory call the team doctors over to the monitor for a second opinion?

16 Likes

Cultish what ever gave you that vibe?

high five texas am GIF by Texas A&M University

6 Likes

Baylor? How the hell that happen. Nothing cultish or strange about that place… speaking of hell Art Bryles

3 Likes

She followed her best friend there… Dunno.

1 Like

He was hitting 3s today, but based off his career stats, I think he’s someone you try to go under on every screen so you can cutoff his driving lanes and dare him to beat you with 6 threes.

1 Like

I believe that is the first line heard in every narrated intro to “How I got into a cult”

3 Likes

A&M is in a league of its own as far as ‘school being a cult’ goes. Mainly gets made fun of during football season but they are an extremely weird group of people

1 Like