VT Preview/Thread

Interesting comparison. I could see him playing that sort of roll as you noticed.

2 Likes

Good catch I totally forgot about the UofL game of all things.

3 Likes

The more games to watch the better!

2 Likes

Ha Generally I agree with that remark because it means they are still alive and playing for something.

3 Likes

I thought of Morsell as a more advanced Hall coming in. Hall redshirted and probably was at Caseyā€™s current level by late on his RS Soph year. I think Casey has a much higher ceiling. He had a lot more put on his plate than normal as a true frosh in Tonyā€™s system and when his shots didnā€™t fall at the beginning of the year it got in his head. But he hung in there and what doesnā€™t kill you makes you stronger. I think he will be a much better player than some people expect when all is said and done.

4 Likes

I could see that. I thought Morsell was more advanced as well, but looking back at his early games it was too much too soon for him. I think heā€™s adjusted well, but honestly a red-shirt year may have been the better option for him. Itā€™s tough because heā€™s also gaining valuable experience by learning on the job and thatā€™s beginning to pay dividends, and whoā€™s to say if he would have grown as much being red-shirted.

I think Morsell has a great ceiling. Hell Hall is an NBA caliber player representing the USA thatā€™s about all you can ask for. I think Morsell has the tools to land somewhere around that. I just think his overall role in getting to that point may be a little different than what I thought when he arrived on grounds.

4 Likes

I agree with that. How many first year players come in and play great defense their first year? Casey is the exception. Most players take several years and a lot just donā€™t want to play defense period. I do think the mechanics on his shot need to be worked on. He sometimes shoots it flat. The big one he hit I knew was going in. Perfect arc and rotation. Iā€™m not sure how good a shooter he can be but Iā€™m sure he will constantly improve and play a big role in the future

4 Likes

Agree with you on every point. He is ridiculously sound defensively. In isolation, on recoveries, help defense playing pick and rolls, guard to guard dribble hand offs, heā€™s rarely out of position. Obviously, heā€™s quite quick and explosive, and on offense, the play where he drove in, spun, and then hit a short floater was a exemplification of the skill he has. Itā€™s just about fitting that into a system and getting his confidence going.

5 Likes

Love this topic. I would never have redshirted Casey. I think redshirts are for players who are not ready ( I love redshirting all big men) or players where playing time seems limited and you hope to get a fifth season from an experienced player. I think if Guy had returned Casey would have been great playing 12/15 minutes a game getting introduced to big time college basketball. That is what I expect out Reese next year. He gets acclimated and Kihei get a plays far fewer minutes to stay fresh. Comparing Casey and Devon vs. college and the NBA is interesting. Devon has a better NBA body but I think Casey may turn out to be the better college player. I think both will be seen as excellent all around players but Devon was not really the guy you looked for to hit the big shot to win the game while down the road Casey may be that guy. Also, while Casey has struggle with his shot this year the rest of his game has been very sound. Guy and Jerome were better scorers as freshman but their defense was pretty bad. You donā€™t get too many newcomers who are good at everything and if so you probably lose them quick.

6 Likes

They really worked Tomas over last night. Easy to tell that was a key point for VT. A lot of extra hands on, screenerā€™s man ā€œchippingā€ him. Just little stuff that made things tough. They werenā€™t going to let him win it. And he definitely seemed to get frustrated late.

4 Likes

All really good points. I agree on the bigs red shirting for sure. Casey is a tough one for me he was on the cusp of being a red shirt or not, and it really depended on what was around him. If itā€™s him Guy, and Kihei I could could see letting him player as a first year and get some spot mins, Kihei would still need a breather and Kyle is not a true PG and played better in UVaā€™s system off ball.

I also agree about the NBA I think Halls size and build gives him a slight edge. But itā€™s so early in Caseyā€™s career that I do believe he has a ton of potential. I also think he may be more athletically gifted than Hall. If he can get his shot clicking on a consistent basis, thatā€™s when he becomes something special.

At the end of the day I think Casey has done a helluva job finding his footing on a new team as a first year. Few players are capable of making that transition and making an immediate impact. Given his recruiting rank I think heā€™s rounding into the player he should be at this point. And when itā€™s all said and done his role will shift as his career continues. Some of that has to do with him and his ability some of that will depend on who comes in after him and how they progress. It should be fun either way.

3 Likes

Yup, the secret is out on Tomas. Now itā€™s up to him to adjust and find new ways to get separation.

3 Likes

Yep, Tomas is making his mark after adjusting to this level. Now He is going to have to learn to adjust and compensate because Iā€™m sure he has only seen the beginning of this type of defense on him

3 Likes