Wake Forest game thread

That’s what I wss thinking. Remember taking a visit there in 2000 and it felt like the 2 were 1000 miles apart but I wasnt sure if that was just my 16 yr old mind playing tricks on me

1 Like

Great song

2 Likes

Glad someone picked up on the reference.

2 Likes

Real quick

1 Like

Wake Review:

10 Likes

Awesome. I was debating starting my workday out productively, but now it’s an easier debate. :joy:

12 Likes

Love that the UVA social media accounts are highlighting this play, it was my favorite from the game:

Mismatch ball to establish a small advantage and then quick decision-making to maintain the advantage until the ball got to the open man.

17 Likes

Agreed! I have this one in my article, highlighting the spacing provided by Smaller Ball and how when Wake felt like they had to help on the mismatch re: Appleby on BVP, we were able to punish that help with great ball movement and a Franklin three.

8 Likes

I’ve said it a few times this season, but that highlight and @Cuts_from_The_Corner article reminds me of how badly I missed on understanding the play making ability of BVP. Not saying he’s some Jokic out there at the 5, but his passing and decision making if much better than I thought coming into the season.

10 Likes

I would agree… his downside is when he tries to dribble… he needs to pretend he is playing ultimate frisbee… then he would be unstoppable!!!

6 Likes

My only complaint is, the announcer says “You coulda set that to Mozart” and they even put “Mozart” in the tweet so… why am I listening to something other than Mozart during that clip

19 Likes

OT: Mozart chocolate is disgusting… why so much pistachio? :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Ha … same here

2 Likes

A 9th Wonder beat is probably a fair bit more familiar to the youth than Mozart :wink:

2 Likes

Too damn funny on so many levels.

2 Likes

I hope that game earns Shedrick some minutes back. Getting him back on the court and playing with confidence (even for just half the game if we’re running Dunn Smaller Ball a lot) is the final piece that I think makes us as good as we can be this year.

The more I think about it and listen to what’s being said about it around the team, the more I think CTB is trying to use this as a motivation tactic for him. Very hopeful that’s both the case and that it works.

10 Likes

It feels like CTB is walking a hire-wire act with Kadin and trying to motivate but not deflate a player who at times seems to struggle with confidence. If the Wake game was a glimpse perhaps it will work and we see a more focused and efficient Kadin, but it’s a delicate balance between getting that and breaking him because he becomes rusty.

Again all of this is made even more difficult by the fact that the small ball 5 is working, despite the fact we all know at some point, the Hoos are gonna need a true 5 in a game.

7 Likes

Absolutely, but it’s a big of a chicken and the egg kind of situation because he started playing him fewer minutes before he started losing his confidence and his on-court performance re: total impact to the team is THE best in so many areas (PER, BP/M, Offensive rating, defensive rating) so I don’t really understand risking that, especially because Kadin doesn’t appear to be the most confident player to begin with. He had that one press conference talking about how they can beat anyone, THAT’s how I want our Kadin!

It might be, simply, okay - but he’s capable of so much more (and he is!) so he’s going to push him. And I’m sure he’s felt able to do that because of how well Smaller Ball is working. But if that’s the case, it’s a risky game.

He says something about Kadin by name in most post games, though. He says he’s got to stay ready, he addressed the team about it, he encouraged them to support him… like if all feels very intentional not like a player he’s giving up on but on one he’s trying to get the most out of and feels like this is the best way to do that.

I hope that’s true, anyway.

6 Likes

wonder if he could play along the backline on offense against the zone, sort of like Mamadi in that game in '19 when we hit 18 threes?

particularly if the line-up is 3 of Reece, Kihei, Armann, and Issac (and we’re shooting decently) alongside BVP, as you could put really any of them in the middle of the zone.

Whoops, meant to quote BDragon’s response not my own… not sure what happened there. Ah, well.