Wake Forest game thread

Win Saturday and have to think we’re the odds-on favorite to win the conference. Only match up with Wake, so the game has even greater implications. Ken Pom has UVA as a 3 point favorite.

Had no clue Wake fans were this bad…

4 Likes

one of the more delusional boards I’ve ever read, no one is saying anything that means anything

3 Likes

Something tells me that Deacfreak07 isn’t too fond of us. Just a feeling.

3 Likes

But yeah that whole thread is pretty cringeworthy lol. Buncha dweebs trying their best to talk trash.

1 Like

Found the team and message board Louisville fans have migrated to.

1 Like

This game honestly worries me quite a bit. We’re on a nice streak of good play our past few games, but so are they. Going to be really tough.

Also, in terms of regular season standings, this game is pretty huge. Only game against Wake, so tie-breaker is in play.

6 Likes

The next slate is going to be tough - @Wake, BC, @Cuse, @Tech, NC State, Duke

Will learn a lot about the team based on how we do in those 6 games.

3 Likes

This one worries me as well. Win or lose I’d be surprised if WF is at the top of the standings come March. They have a lot of losable road games left - Pitt, Duke, Miami, NC St, Syracuse. They also still have UNC and NC St at home.

2 Likes

Just saw in that WF pre-game thread (oof btw) that they’re looking for their first 5 game winning streak in the ACC since CP3 was there. Looked it up and I think Tony’s done that 11 times, including a 12 and 13 game streak. Not to mention, if we win, it will be the 12th time he’s done it.

4 Likes

From advanced metrics, it looks like Wake Forest shoots very well but that’s it. Defense is garbage. What’s the read?

I think this will be much tougher than our last few games.

3 Likes

Grew up a Wake fan- and the one thing I don’t think we can underrate is how important a game like this is to the fan base. I anticipate the crowd will be extremely juiced - it has been a woeful 15 years for them. Very similar to the Pitt atmosphere, so hopefully we learned from it.

4 Likes

Forbes runs a good offense, they’re gonna put up a lot of 3’s and look to get easy buckets for their bigs curling off ball screens. The Appleby/Carr duo is especially dangerous given Carr is a pick and pop threat. Defensively they’re gonna pressure the ball and try to force turnovers, but otherwise they’re a bit lackluster in that department. If we take care of the ball we should get good looks.

Still a tough game, Wake is undefeated at home this year and playing their best ball right now. But if we’re shooting the ball well from deep and getting in passing lanes on defense, there’s not a team in the country that scares me.

2 Likes

This game will look a lot like last night I think. They’ll hit a lot of 3s. We’ll need 70+ to win at their place I think. If Reece can slow Appleby we’ve got a good chance.

6 Likes

I was more embarrassed for the Wake fanbase rather than mad at that board thread…

2 Likes
11 Likes

We’ll hold serve at home. Beat Wake and I think it’s a 5-1 stretch. Lose, and 4-2.

I think you’re probably right, but I imagine Reece :bangbang: will only be covering Appleby when Kihei is sitting.

1 Like

I don’t think Kihei can guard anyone but Appleby and Williamson … Hildreth is a beast

2 Likes

I was just looking at the Wake roster and there are 17 on it… wow… better level set with the bottom 10 or so about playing time… Forbes must not be able to say no to a walk-on request…

3 Likes

They play 9 guys more than 10 min per game … Appleby, Hildreth and Carr all over 31 min per game

p.s. Looks like in ACC games they are down to an 8 man rotation.

1 Like