šŸ Was Prez the GOAT

It is so cool to be at a game and just see the player who is so much better than everyone else

In like 2002 me and Willie Dersch went to a Nets Lakers game in East Rutherford NJ and 5 rows up Kobe Bryant was just other world better

2 Likes

I can get behind this

Serious ask, how high could Reece climb on this list? All time steals leader and likely 3rd behind Kihei/Crotty in assistsā€¦ if he stayed year 5/we could get to a Final 4 this year or nextā€¦

1 Like

He absolutely is in the category of all time great guards for UVa.

3 Likes

Iā€™d put UVa PGā€™s into 3 categories.

Individual - Singletary
Individual combined with team success - Ty, followed by Crotty
Team success - Othell

Until Reece has some postseason wins, heā€™s more in the Singletary category. But top 5-6 all time for PGā€™s right now, with a chance to be top 3ā€™ish with a tourney run (at least S16) this year.

2 Likes

Reece is in the convo for all time guards but not all time players. Unfortunately for as good as Reece is he hasnā€™t made a big enough impact to move the needle on the teams success. His stats are impressive.

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s my age and era, but Stith was the focus of media attention and excitement at UHall every game he played in a way that Brogdon never quite reached. So Iā€™d place Brogdon just behind Stith.

3 Likes

I think it was just the era. ACC pre-expansion, everyone played everyone else home & away, star players stayed 3-4 years.

A home game against BC or Pitt just doesnā€™t have the same buzz.

2 Likes

The ACC was also as red hot as ever arguably in that era. Stith also played under JJ who didnā€™t cast as big of a shadow as CTB or Coach Holland

2 Likes

but Smith was the focus of media attention and excitement at UHall every game

Bro, it was exhausting

4 Likes

This team is Reeceā€™s team. His usage is going sky high. This team makes some noise? Reece goes on a list and maybe gets a category. With an asterisk. A good asterisk.

2 Likes

Team Success - London

3 Likes

London never got knocked out before round of 32 any of his 4 years. How many other players anywhere can say that?

4 Likes

There would be no Ralph, Lamp, Stith, or Wonderful Wally Walker without the foundation that was laid by Barry Parkhill. Parkhill started it all.

6 Likes

Lots of North Carolina players. Roy never lost in the first round until his very last year of coaching

Yeah they got some guysā€¦ one of the bluest of blue bloodsā€¦. They also missed the tournament in 2010 so not every Roy team pulled it offā€¦ and to be fair they assuredly wouldā€™ve missed the tournament in 2020 as well.

2 Likes

Came here to post same comment as about Parkhill above. GOAT can be measured by pure basketball ability, by winning, and by impact on the program. Ralph has his own category, of course. Beyond that, an argument can be made that Parkhill is the second most important player in program history. That potentially gets upended by 2019, because a natty kind of has a unique shine, like Ralph.

4 Likes

I canā€™t comment on anyone before John Crotty, but since then and including Crotty, weā€™ve had the following point guards who would deserve consideration on a top 10 PG list

John Crotty
Cory Alexander
Harold Deane
Donald Hand
Roger Mason
Sean Singletary
London Perrentes
Ty Jerome
Reece Beekman

And ummā€¦Kehei Clark

Plus Malcolm Brogdon if you want to call him a PG

2 Likes

Not sure Iā€™d put Brogdon or Mason in the PG category. My memory goes back to Jeff Jones (the player) so if Iā€™m looking at individual AND team success, Iā€™d probably go:

1. Ty
  2. Crotty
  3. Singletary
  4. Alexander
  5. Beekman
  6. Deane
  7. Perrantes
  8. Wilson
  9. Jones
  10. Clark

I was tempted to put Hand above Clark, but hard to ignore the assist record (even with a 5th year) and championship. And Iā€™d probably put Reece ahead of Cory if we put together an NCAA runā€¦hard to do it right now without a single NCAAT win yet though.

2 Likes

Good list. I donā€™t really know how Iā€™d rank them without looking at a lot of numbers and video.

As far as Mason being a PG, Iā€™d say that he has as many seasons in a Virginia uniform playing as the lead guard in the team as Reece Beekman has. I donā€™t think Keith Jeniferā€™s 15 games started and 21 mpg that season would make him the lead PG on that team.