What is UVA basketballs Brand/Slogan/Vision?

Dook and Rat-fink have the “Brotherhood of traveling Dbags” (My God have you see Jaylen Blakes strut around the court like a lobotomized bobblehead doll?)

UNC seems to have a new mantra “Bigger Than Basketball” - per their James Brown and Eliot Cadeau committments.

So what is OUR Brand/Slogan/Vision? No matter how goofy a dbagish it seems, maybe we should look at it from a recruiting/marketing aspect?

A few years back FSU adopted the phrase “New Bloods”, which I think was actually cool…however the past two years they’be been hit with injuries so it’s lost some of it’s luster, but it was definitely a nice attempt at differentiating themselves from the hackneyed, overplayed discussion around Bluebloods.

1. Tony would never do that intentionally IMO.
  2. It’s currently the 5 pillars
  3. If you want an actual phrase it would contain the words RED and SHIRT.
8 Likes

If you say player development really fast with a slight Brazilian accent, it sounds pretty cool. Could be an option.

2 Likes

Desempenho de jogador 3 vezes

1 Like

U
Vve
Arefucked

Has a certain ring to it

4 Likes

We Slide Together…?

1 Like

He/she/they gone

3 Likes

REDSHIRT U

Pretty catchy and a nice play on words. Ya know like…”Redshirt University”….we’ll redshirt you…I’ll see myself out.

1 Like

RedShirt Hoo

2 Likes

Michael Scott Wink GIF

2 Likes

That’s why Tony hates orange. It’s a half assed red.

5 Likes

We had one for football during Mendenhall’s tenure — New Standard, and later modified to The Standard.

So it’s not unheard of in our athletics department.

But Bennett would probably consider a slogan antithetical to the pillars.

1 Like

4 minute scoring drought

5 Likes

UVA. Where 13 point leads go to die.

1 Like

UVA 1fg in 10 min .
Virginia basketball A thing of beauty

1 Like

I don’t know about sloganeering, but “Developing guys for the NBA” is a big part of the pitch now.

4 Likes

True, but do we have anything that we can package *with basketball. Example- the brotherhood are the basketball players, but it seems to imply that it is more of a network as well.

Maybe boring but it is quite simply FAMILY. Every recruit feels it and says it. Former players come back in the summer and show up to games etc and pass it down to the new guys

From my days we have a 20 person chat (20 the max allowed on my phone) and we never miss a happy bday Happy New Year, Christmas, Thanksgiving or whatever.

Less is more here

1 Like

You’re right Fresh that was boring :wink: But seriously, less may be more BUT, when high ranking commitments begin spouting off catch phrases in interviews and on social media etc. you have to wonder whether, from a psychological stand point, that does make an impression.

I remember the coaches using the hash tag Big Guard U a couple years ago. Didn’t stick with it but i thought it was a good idea. Most.of their NBA players fit into that category. They should hammer it home in a more public way. It’s effective and just about every recruit between 6-4 and 6-10 thinks of themselves as a big guard.

5 Likes