When college athletes are allowed to profit from their likeness:

So, states are making it illegal for member universities to punish college athletes for profiting off of their likeness?

And California started off, which sent other states in to a panic, because then all high school athletes would have wanted to sign athletic scholarships with universities located in California? :grinning:

And the NCAA is trying to regain control over the situation by passing NCAA legislation that makes it “okay” for college athletes to profit from their likeness?

It makes no sense to me, because what company is going to pick a college athlete to endorse its products? Unless the athlete is wearing a college’s jersey, with his number on it…?

What’s more interesting to me is, what happens if high school athletes want to profit off of their likeness, and they want to pose wearing their high school uniforms? Obviously, fans out there who follow recruiting can pool their money together, and send the athlete a big check, with plenty of best wishes cards urging him to attend the University of (blank).

Or, they’ll make the athlete “promise” to go to their favorite college, and in return, they’ll throw all of their money at him. They may even make him sign a document promising to play for their school, and in return, they’ll pay him $50,000 for posing, wearing his high school uniform, and the business that will sponsor him might be a local restaurant…

2 Likes

All indications are that paying recruits will still be against NCAA rules. I assume they will have difficulty enforcing that standard but they already struggle to enforce that rule now. Don’t really see that aspect as a change.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Wait… that’s real? I thought it was a joke.

Rocket Watts must be a BEAST.

3 Likes

100% real. Can’t help but wonder if this leads to opportunities for the student athletes to promote team sponsors and get paid for it.

1 Like