⚽ World Cup 2026

If only the GK had presence of mind to go into the fetal position or something:

https://x.com/FOXSports/status/2071815043910676651?s=20

Separately, I’ve talked myself into rooting for Mexico so England has to go into the Azteca and have a real CONCACAF experience. “Can they do it on a urine-bag-filled night in Coyoacan?”

9 Likes

As a non soccer guy, my in laws and I thoroughly enjoyed the Paraguay Germany game (watched some extra time and all the PKs). Great drama!

We then basically forgot about the evening game but even if we hadn’t, we likely would’ve assumed there was no way that game would match Paraguay Germany. Oh well.

I think Ecuador is the most interesting opponent Mexico could draw. Flips the usual elevation advantage (although not sure where Ecuador has been the last month). And Ecuador would be favored over Mexico on a neutral field

2 Likes

I really want to see England vs Mexico in Azteca.

I felt really bad for the Dutch keeper there.

4 Likes

Verbruggen is an amazing keeper… it was just a shame what happened.

He plays for Brighton in the Premier League and has elevated that team pretty high in the table the past few years. This is the first year EVER they qualified for a European position.

3 Likes

Seeing some reports and Zapruder-style breakdowns showing that Germany seemingly chose their sixth penalty taker in the moment, and only after several players turned down the captain (Kimmich) requesting them to take it. Absurd that the staff hadn’t defined the 1-11 order in advance, or if they had, allowed the players to freelance to that degree. Ideally you have it set in advance before the match and then make any adjustments before penalties start if someone is not feeling up for the moment.

4 Likes

I’ve read that in soccer it’s customary for the players to decide amongst themselves on who takes the penalties. The coaches deciding is considered overreach.

3 Likes

My coaches have always put the list together… heck, my German coach had a static list for the whole season that everyone knew.

My son’s travel team, his coach modifies it every few weeks… but everyone knows the order at all times.

Perhaps some coaches allow the players to decide, but not all of them.

6 Likes

The coach submits the list of 5 penalty takers, of course.

Maybe I misunderstood or misremembered what I read about regular penalties or the order of the 5 or the takers after the 5 or where the culture is one way over the other.

1 Like

Yeah… most teams have a primary and back-up standard penalty taker… but in the moment the team on the field can make a decision on their own.

1 Like

I always decide for my teams but don’t have a written list - usually at least 3 set in stone but I like to determine based on how calm and confident they are that day… I have one kid I surprised his first season with me and had him go first …. He rewarded us with a calm cool collected score and turned into my leading scorer this last season - 16 months later. Easy for me to think long game too :rofl::rofl::rofl:

France just might be too loaded. Mbappe in good scoring form, Olise playing like the best player in the world right now. And then they flank them with 2/3rds of Champions League-winning PSG’s starting forwards in Barcola and Dembele. What are you supposed to do with that?

1 Like

Probably try to counter with Messi or Yamal or Bellingham/Kane and hope your defense can hold up better than their’s.

Hate how they can VAR a corner into a goal kick but not a mistaken goal kick into a corner. Why would you decide that in the way that takes away scoring opportunities in an already low scoring game?

2 Likes

Originally misread as:

And immediately thought win the whole thing in a waltz?

Lambeth had it right with TRY to counter with a star [or stars] of your own AND hope…

France may get bounced next round :person_shrugging: but I won’t be paying off my house if they do.

The only victims of the new red card for covering your mouth rule have been on CONMEBOL teams, which is pretty perfect.

1 Like

Vs France - don’t be afraid to attack their back 5 - gotta score 2 or 3 goals… be clinical with your chances - will get outshot - just finish the ones you have.
Play defense with your offense.

2 Likes

Okay @jazznutUVA or anyone else: what was the rule or emphasis change between the last World Cup and this one? 29 penalties awarded in 2018. 23 in 2022. Already played more games this time and only 11 so far. Clear examples like the Kane one that just happened and the Canada one against South Africa that would’ve been penalties in the last couple of World Cups but aren’t even getting a full VAR review this time

There hasn’t really been much of a rule change in the IFAB concerning this specifically. The simulation yellow card has been emphasized much more in the laws and has been a point of emphasis in referee training… but the actual law has not changed.

So even if you believe it is a PK… if the referee believed he dove, Kane should’ve gotten a yellow card. There isn’t really an in-between for me. Either it is a PK England or a YC for simulation to Kane.

This is probably as close to the view as you will see of the incident from the referee’s perspective, and if i saw it like this, I would’ve given Kane a card for simulation

https://x.com/stompey__/status/2072361672157676006?s=20

Now from a different angle… I may have awarded the PK. VAR is instructed to only get involved in stone cold errors. This is not a stone cold error in my book. If he had called the PK, VAR would not have gotten involved either I don’t believe.

1 Like

I appreciate the info on the Kane play. Any thoughts in the overall halving of penalties? Is that a trend in the big 5 leagues and champions league too?