Your all-time hoops roster that you actually saw play…

The guy was a warrior on the court.

2 Likes

Sampson
Stith
Parkhill
Lamp
Brogdon
Crotty
Hunter
Guy
Jerome
Harris
Watson
Burrough
Singletary

2 Likes

It’s crazy to think how blessed we have been with talent that Roger Mason Jr. is not on more of these teams. Was excellent in college.

I agree that the other line-ups are better, just appreciating his game!

4 Likes

I went right to peak Bennett era for my team, even though I started Fall 95. Part of it for me is that I never saw guys like Mason Jr, Staples, Norm, Chris Williams, etc, even up through Singletary, have as much success on the court as the Bennett era guys, so it was hard for me to slot them.

2 Likes

Been going to games since the ‘74 season, so this is tough to pick a starting 5:

1. C - Ralph (not hard to pick)
  2. F - Stith (again not a hard choice)
  3. F - Walker
  4. G - Lamp
  5. PG - Corey Alexander

Next 5:

1. T. Jerome
  2. M. Scott
  3. J. Burroughs
  4. Brogdon
  5. Olden Polynice

3rd team:

1. Singletary
  2. Othell Wilson
  3. J. Harris
  4. The Staple Gun
  5. Huff

PS apologies to Fresh, but he deserves his own Mt. Rushmore

3 Likes

Man always wish I had seen Jeff Lamp and Raker play in college as much as everyone talks about them. Also just being given the post all greats list shout out is good enough for me

Edit: Love Cory in first team

3 Likes

Ty Jerome
Malcolm Brogdon
Bryant Stith
Junior Burrough
Ralph Sampson

4 Likes

I didn’t see Parkhill in person, except when reffing IM games at Mem. The grad B-School vs Med School was awesome because Barry played for the B-school and the med school had a couple of 6’9" Ivy league players. Tough for a 20 YO to ref because they all got mad when I let 'em play (who am I to call fouls on those guys). Parkhill probably would have taken Lamp’s spot if I had seen him play in his prime.

3 Likes

Staley
Brogdon
Stith
Nolan’s 4th year
Sampson

7 Likes

Test

5 Likes

That was Savage hometeam

1 Like

My approach is to put together a coherent team that I could field. It would not be a collection of the top 13 players I’ve seen play because it would be sub-optimizing to put one of the 13 best in UVA history as the 13th man on the bench.

My starting lineup:

Ty Jerome, Malcolm Brogdon, Ralph Sampson, Bryant Stith and Dre Hunter.

Off the bench: Kyle Guy, Akil Mitchell, Jon Crotty, Wally Walker, Mike Scott, Cornell Parker, Othel Wilson, (and I’m torn between Jack Salt and Chris Alexander for the final spot). Parker Wilson, and Salt/Alexander are for specific roles to match up at times.

3 Likes

Exactly this…Chris Williams would fill out a box score without you even noticing; always managed to get his without disrupting the team or the game flow. One of my all-time favorites.

2 Likes

Parkhill is why I’m a UVA fan.

3 Likes

Cory A.
Malc
Dre
Bryant Stith
Junior B.
Sixth Man = Sean Singletary or Mike Scott (can’t decide).

Spacing the floor and going:
Ty Jerome
Kyle Guy
Curtis Staples
Joe Harris
Bryant Stith

Two way guys:
Deandre Hunter
Malcolm Brogdon

Once the game is 80-78 lead at halftime, locking things down with full court press:
Cornell Parker
Reese Beekman
Akil Mitchell
Darion Atkins
Mamadi Diakite
Braxton Key- very underrated player

Off the bench microwaves:
Cory Alexander
Keith Friel (when that dude was on though ha…)
Sean Singletary
JR Reynolds
Roger Mason Jr.
Courtney Alexander
Trey Murphy
Sam Hauser

Dudes that were equivalently awesome but don’t fit my modern 5 out offense as much…
Junior Burrough
Norman Nolan
Chris Williams tho he would get hot
Travis Watson
Mike Scott

Other faves:
Donald Hand’s tenure
Keith Jenifer holla!
Harold Deane probably favorite player pre Ty Jerome- he was just a warrior. Still remember some of his patented dagger threes whenever the momentum was starting to turn…would walk it up and launch and everyone except the oppojnent seemed to know it was coming.
Adam Hall - still many of the most memorable plays.
Chezley Watson for no particular reason other than he was a tank playing basketball.
Jason Cain for the assemblage
Jay Huff was awesome
Mean Tobey
Jason Rogers on senior night was a monster
Chris Alexander taking it to Tim Duncan one game
Chase Metheny running
Ryan Petinella free throws
Todd Billet launching some bombs
JC Mathis is still pump faking

I’m forgetting a ton of people I know!

Melvin Whittaker oof. I still have in my head that Cory Alexander, Courtney Alexander, Harold Deane, Curtis Staples and Allen Iverson could have overlapped had things played out differently but not sure that is anything more than an errant memory and too lazy to look it up and shatter my childhood impression!

10 Likes

Those 5 guys could have all played together in 95-96 if Cory used his injury redshirt year of eligibility instead of declaring for the draft.

2 Likes

I was very close to putting Marc on my team. In similar exercises in the past I’ve usually put him on my team. I’ve just reached a point where I want a 4 who can stretch the floor now.

1 Like

Sampson
Gerard
Lamp
Brogdon
Crotty

2 Likes

Ditto, UHall was electric in those days. The competition for student tix was intense!

1 Like