1st AAU live period

I was a ball boy for the Hoos in the mid 90’s. I was under the basket for this game:

F Wojo

I’ve hated Wojo ever since.

6 Likes

Laetner at UHall one time completely berated a long time season ticket holder. An older woman who sat in her seat every game on the baseline. One of the most disgusting displays I have ever seen by a player

18 Likes

Laetner an All-Timer A-Hole. His biggest crime may be not being a total bust in the NBA. avg. 12.8 for his career that’s legit. Couldn’t even let us have that. At least Wojo slunked away after his playing days and turned out to be an average coach at best.

7 Likes

I’m not proud of it but I threw ice at Wojo at the end of this game. I was just too far up in the student section to get him. I probably hit a bunch of the Pep Band instead.

7 Likes

Maybe hard for some to believe, but there actually were some likeable Duke players back in the 70s and early 80s like Spanarkel, Gminski, Dawkins. But, for me, hateable Duke players started with Ferry/Bilas but then Laettner/Hurley took it to another level. The rest is history.

3 Likes

There are not enough like options for this.

2 Likes

Spanarkle was solid
But when I heard ferry grabbed Tom Sheehy in the crotch he became the biggest villain in the history of the world

3 Likes

I think you hit me. Still have the scar.

3 Likes

Actually, I didn’t find Bilas nearly as unlikeable as Danny Meagher. I always thought of him as a reincarnation of John Ribock! Of course, maybe that was just me.

1 Like

They all pale in comparison to rat face himself

4 Likes

It’s funny. I hate Duke individually and collectively. Felt the same way about UNC in the Dean years. Under Roy, hated the institution but not necessarily the individual players. Big fan of Joel Berry for example. Can’t say that about a single Duke player. Maybe Grant Hill. Maybe.

3 Likes

That brings up an interesting thought. UNC under Roy I can’t even think of someone that I really associate with the program got to go back to a Sean May. I hate the program at UNC but no 1 player under Roy made a big enough impact on me. Also helps that CTB dominated them as of late. Even though Duke has 1-n-done their guys I associate with the program and vice-versa. Grant Hill is the one guy that I actually forget is a Duke guy because I legit like him and always have really.

5 Likes

My big hang up with Roy - there was a game at the end of Gillen’s tenure where they were up about 50 at halftime. In the postgame interview on whatever network aired the game, he jumped on our fans for booing Pete. Basically said we didn’t know how lucky we were to have Pete as the coach and that he was a fine coach and deserved better treatment.

7 Likes

He called out Tony by name in his retirement press conference. Was kind of odd tbh. Maybe he’s a closet UVA fan

3 Likes

Roy was pure class when speaking about other programs…especially CTB… and giving credit to other teams when he lost…

10 Likes

Hey back on topic. Appreciate ya @Hooandtrue

2 Likes

I only share what our Prophet @HoozGotNext shares.

Will be interesting what they look for in that other forward spot. So much skill set diversity at the 4 now a days. All those players being considered for the same spot are completely different lol.

1 Like
10 Likes

Just catching up in this thread.

Spit my gum out laughing at this

9 Likes