1st AAU live period

That is very true. But Bond has that Marquette connection because Shaka actually went out and recruited for months without full evaluations while we sat home.

I guess my point is that situationally things are definitely different than 2017. But to me the best indicator of your recruiting being off base is when you start losing recruits to programs way below you. Marquette is clearly way below at this point, as was providence in 2017. I’m worried that this may be an opening salvo in a lot of recruitments where we lose out to lesser programs because they’ve built relationships

1 Like

Bond definitely isn’t on the same level as Traudt. Bond may not even be our top wing target by the end of July.

Edit: it’s also worth acknowledging that Bond could still very well head to UVa making my handwringing moot

I would think the offer to Bond, coupled with the lack of offers to other wings (are there other offers?), signals that Bond is at the top of our list

3 Likes

Bond’s a top 50 recruit with an NBA ceiling. He absolutely is on the same level as Traudt even if he’s not there off the bat. In terms of priorities, yeah we’ve been all in on Traudt. Lets get both

5 Likes

2017 didn’t start with UVa winning a battle for a top 50ish player. Comparisons are really moot.

Tony clearly zeros in on his 2-3 top targets early, then fill in gaps as necessary once more live evaluations happen. Perhaps the time Tony spent on Bond early would have had ramifications on someone like Traudt coming. The extra attention to our top targets is worth perhaps losing out on late risers IMO. I’ll take his approach over the Mike Young shotgun-scholarship way of doing things all day.

1 Like

Not entirely. I think if McKneely is the only top 150 guy we end up with we will be asking ourselves some of the same questions we did in 2017 about our approach to recruiting and how we sell the program. I don’t think that’s going to happen mind you

What? Marquette was under the same restrictions as our staff before June. He visited UVA in June so the staff had been building relationship with Bond for some time. The only difference in the two approaches was the timing of the “public” offer. Bond might actually feel more wanted by UVA because he is one of only 2-3 players in his entire class with a UVA offer and the only offer for his role. Your criticism is unwarranted in this case.

2 Likes

An article from the 2022 reachouts over a year ago. The relationship was strong then.

Among the programs showing interest, Bond said Virginia has been coming on the strongest thus far.

“I’ve seen the most consistent effort from Virginia, I’d have to say,” Bond explained. “I remember they sent me some mail during my sophomore year. They said they would be in contact. The first contact day, it was 12:02 a.m. and they texted me and said, ‘Can’t wait to talk to you.’”

7 Likes

I’m confused then. So what’s the argument if Bond goes to Marquette? He just fell in love with Shaka Smart, Wisconsin in winter, and the incredibly crowded roster situation? Does Villanova or Gonzaga lose this recruitment? Absolutely not and that is the problem here

I dont think we are going to lose this recruitment. But if we do it’s because he can take his laundry home to his mom on the weekends obviously.

6 Likes

To be honest I think he ends up a Hoo. But if he doesn’t I can’t help but wonder if it portends things to come

Patrick Baldwin, duke. It happens.

3 Likes

I’m not a 247 vip so I can’t read the article that is making you guys pessimistic but it doesn’t make sense to me that he’d wrap it up in favor of Marquette right now. He had every chance to do that already and seemingly was waiting on our offer. Not saying that he’s going to commit to us tomorrow but it seems to me that we are up there with Marquette.

7 Likes

It would be a disappointing/unlucky loss, I think it’s that simple. Shaka is a brand name coach who recruits well. Probably the only guy they realistically could’ve hired who could win this battle over us. We’ve been on him for a while, I don’t think the timing of the announcement so soon after our “offer” is a coincidence. Hoping it’s a quid pro quo of sorts that was established on his visit in June

2 Likes

I agree! - Hot take- we are landing Bond! I’m claiming it first :wink:

3 Likes

CP3 16 squad playing. Jaylen Curry (pg staff like) and Gus Yalden (from Wiscy, plays HS ball in Florida, yet on a North Carolina AAU team. The intrigue of the Gus Bus)

3 Likes

He’s 6’5” and Traudt is 6’9” so this is factually incorrect

7 Likes

“He’s actually 6’5”, with the afro 6’9", pretty good dribbler. Comes in deep, his club behind by one point at this stage. Fletch comes in, PUTS THE BALL THROUGH THE LEGS!! What a great play, and he puts it up and in, and the Lakers have the lead."

6 Likes

Hey is similiar to one of TB’s former players from Washington State- Kyle Weaver, also from Wisconsin.

kyle weaver, wsu - Google Search