1st AAU live period

On the 2nd Tuesday

1 Like

Watching USA vs Australia, I think Matisse Thybulle is a wonderful comparison for Leon Bond. Long athletic 6’5 wing that can lockdown on defense.

4 Likes

Coaches can’t go back out until Friday but the EYBL starts tomorrow in Augusta. It’s all streamed through twitch, looks like for free, not positive about that.

https://nikeeyb.com/eybl-schedule/

5 Likes

I’ll never forget that travesty of a game. I don’t remember why I didn’t go, I think I couldn’t get there in time after class or something, but I remember watching the end in the AFC locker room and everyone yelling in disbelief.

I think that sealed my lifetime hatred of Duke MBB.

I didn’t think to ask earlier but is there any connection between Bond and Beekman? Didn’t think about it much until I listened to the latest podcast tonight and Beekman mentioned he is from Milwaukee.

Redshirting a top 50 player is still a viable strategy in the era of immediate transfer eligibility?

3 Likes

nope

1 Like

Yeah outside of an injury or a Mamadi situation it’s incredibly unlikely to do so for top-100 guys

2 Likes

Honestly, it never really was a viable strategy for top 50 guys, in a general sense.

1 Like

I agree, but the idea has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. Didn’t think it was very realistic, but HGN is 1000 times more plugged in than me.

1 Like

You’d have to get total buy in from the player before commitment. Guys transfer for one of a couple reasons that boil down to them not being good enough to get the time they want. But if they know coming in that they need to develop their bodies (like shedrick) or that they are in a wait your turn situation and your 5th year minutes will be 1000x your first year minutes (why i think McCorkle wouldve RSed before the free eligibility), then a redshirt is still possible. It’s just that a top 50 guy seems pretty low probability to take that view.

This reads pretty bullish UVA’s chances

10 Likes

McCorkle also reclassed to add to your point

Just saw an article out from 247 on Bond. He says a decision is around the corner. On the surface, kinda reads like Marquette may have the upper hand. It may not be the case, especially not committing after his official. Seems like he was waiting to see if a certain offer or offers happened during July. Also mentions no more visits so we’re gonna know pretty soon.

5 Likes

Hoping he just needed to wait for us to “officially” offer after Tony saw him play and now he can publicly announce his commitment. Would be kind of an unlucky loss if he goes to Marquette. Shaka seems like just about the only coach they could have hired who could keep him home and turning down bigger offers

3 Likes

That article read like Marquette to me

A quick decision is good since we can move on quickly but losing recruits to Marquette does not give me the warm and fuzzies about this class. I know he is from Wisconsin and all though. Sorta feels like 2017 when we started losing guys to Providence

The cincinatti writer mentioned that Bond would probably decide in August and that a major factor would be whether Virginia offered or not as UVA said they wanted to see Bond play in July (this was mentioned by the writer before the aau weekend and before our offer). However from annoying the ever living sh*& out of @HoozGotNext , Marquette absolutely is a HUGE factor here. Weird that the Cincinatti writer doesn’t even acknowledge Marquette in this one at the time.

I just think it’s UVA cause as others have alluded to, he didn’t commit after Shaka tried to close him on his Marquette trip and the way Bond speaks about Tony in his previous interviews, referring to him as a “legend”. Trimble going to UNC (marquette’s other top prospect) might be clutch for us in paving the way to leave the home area.

So he’s 100000000% commiting to Cincinatti

7 Likes

Meh, 2017 had everything to do with Charlottesville being a buzzword in the newscycle. If we lose Bond, it’s a tough break, but understandable given the Smart/WI situation. As long as Traudt is on board, we have our two cornerstones we can build around and find an another wing/athletic four.

3 Likes

Hometown school with a new highly regarded coach…I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Also, I’d like to have bond but he doesn’t feel as important as Traudt

3 Likes