1st Years & Playing Time

That reasoning suggests the conclusion that Taine and Igor and Carson will not be any good. And given that your list shows more such “good” players in the early years but not many in recent years further suggests quite a trend of recruiting failures.

3 Likes

Okay, last two thoughts from me, for now:

1. It’s of course possible that none of Igor/Taine/Carson will be good here or anywhere at the power 5 level. Frankly, I think it seems likely that at least Carson is at the wrong level. (Hard to draw conclusions on the other two, yet).
  2. But even if they are never good using that definition, I still think they have a usable skillset that we lack on this team, that would make this team better, and it gets increasingly less usable the less we play them.
2 Likes

Both of these might be true. The latter is clearly true.

I think it is really important to note that both Igor and Taine are international

2 Likes

Well, I think the Exhibit to show how flawed that reasoning could be is De’Andre Hunter - a player who was so unlikely to receive any playing time his first year that he was redshirted. And he went from being a sixth man his RS Fr year to being a lottery pick after his RS So year. That strongly suggests that a player can develop dramatically with playing time. It could even support the idea of a redshirt year, except the free transfer rule changed the wisdom of that strategy dramatically.

It’s an interesting debate in previous years when future development is pitted against winning almost every game in the present. This year, I’d play Eli Bennett over Stattmann just to see how he might develop

3 Likes

For lack of any other rationale, I have attributed the playing time which McCorkle, Murray, and Milicic have received (since conference play began) to what they’re doing in practice that week. If we see any of them on the floor during the game, I figured they had a good week of practice, and the PT they receive is a combination of a reward for that work, and an opportunity to show that they can do it during a game. Of course, that could be nonsense, too.

Pretty sure Hunter wasn’t going to redshirt until he got injured before that season. He also almost certainly would have contributed to that team at some point, especially once Nichols was kicked off the team, which opened up a lot of minutes that got filled by a variety of guys. I think Tony has even said that later in the season he was torn on whether to keep the redshirt on or not because Hunter could have helped. Also, if not for the transfer rules of the time (having to sit out a year), there’s a pretty solid likelihood Hunter would have transferred out of frustration. So he’s an interesting case study for a number of reasons.

1 Like

This is absolutely worth noting and I’m glad you did, Norfolk. Ideally all international players are redshirted and that’s essentially what is happening now. That said, Taine and Igor have flashed more than any other international players to date

3 Likes

Can we start the Fire CTB chants? Or at rhe very least egg his house?

3 Likes

Nah we should toilet paper his spot. Forgot the word for that but TB would catch us and make us do their close out drill

4 Likes

Guarantee you that if the transfer rule were the same back then that it is now, Hunter and Hall would’ve been gone. So doubtful that either would’ve been redshirted. Hunter would’ve gotten decent PT once he got healthy, Hall maybe gets the 10ish min/game that Bennett was giving young guys back then, but he may have looked at the roster and left anyway.

1 Like

Oh, don’t do that. Its a nice house!

1 Like

Teepee

Might just be TP actually lol

ah yes. we called it Rollin in Tennessee… no clue why

3 Likes

I know my feet were rolling down the street thru the neighborhood once job was done

1 Like

same in tidewater – I think bc its a roll of TP.

1 Like

Defense isn’t over until the rebound is secured. Hmm I wonder who we could play more and who we could play less to help.
Rk Player TRB% Total Rebound % while on the floor
1 Jayden Nixon 15.9
2 Francisco Caffaro 15.8
3 Kadin Shedrick 15.6
4 Jayden Gardner 14.2
5 Igor Milicic Jr. 9.3
6 Taine Murray 7.5
7 Carson McCorkle 7.3
8 Reece Beekman 6.7
9 Malachi Poindexter 6.2
10 Armaan Franklin 6
11 Kihei Clark 5.7