1st Years & Playing Time

the similarities in Fayetteville and TWA are kinda scary

1 Like

Both country as hell?

1 Like

Country with flava maybe

1 Like

That’s a better way to describe it. It wasn’t duRRty country like I was used to. Different flava for sure.

1 Like

Eeeesh Kody. You’re freaking 6’8 dude, play like it

2 Likes

He played 15 mins against ND and had no points, assists, steals or blocks. 1 rebound. He was literally just out there getting some cardio in.

4 Likes

well he did manage to get 3 shot attempts up there - including a missed dunk and a bank airball layup from 1 foot.

What’s crazy is, there’s only 1 kid shooting 40% or better from 3. Just doesn’t have enough attempts. Lots of people be posting numbers on this board. I just had to chime in with a few myself.

Kody has a sloooow release. He shoots it well with a lot of time and space, but without those he can’t get a shot off.

1 Like

Somebody may have already done this, but I threw this together. Basically shows minutes played in first year, then total minutes played for the rest of the player’s career after their first year and minutes played per completed season after their first year. Obviously a little rough, but I thought slightly interesting. Players whose first year came after a redshirt are italicized. I left off guys who are so early in their careers it’d skew the numbers (Reece, Shedrick, McCorkle)

Nothing terribly surprising. The guys who ended up contributing less at UVA than you might have expected based on their first year minutes were most noticeably Evan Nolte, KT Harrell, and Casey Morsell. The guys who became solid contributors despite low minutes their first year are Jay Huff and Jack Salt. But the most noticeable trend, as we all know, is that bigs don’t play as much their first year and can become contributors later, but guards who don’t play much their first year don’t tend to do a lot here either due to transfer or inability to earn playing time (unless you’re Devon Hall).

As somebody said above, if there is a concerning thing about this year, its where the three Ms currently stand. Taine is currently at 128 minutes, Igor at 96 minutes, and Carson is at 70 (with 22 last season). There’s pretty much no precedent (except for Devon Hall) for guards going from under 450 minutes in their first year to becoming a contributor, and for wing types there’s almost no precedent for those playing under 250 minutes their first year. It’s not looking super likely any of the three Ms get to either of those marks. That said, trends are just trends, and if rules were like they used to be, maybe Taine and Igor would normally be redshirting this year and their minutes next year would be more like previous players’ first year minutes. Who knows.

8 Likes

Interesting stuff. I think that there are still a couple of unknowns which influence all of this. How much playing time was available when a player was first year? For Joe Harris and K T Harrell, there was plenty. When Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were frosh, there was less time available initially, but eventually they demonstrated that they were superior to several of the returnees. When Devon Hall was a RS frosh, there wasn’t much time at all (Malcolm Brogdon, Justin Anderson, and London Perrantes used the overwhelming majority of backcourt minutes and Hall was competing with Shayok for the remaining PT). The fact that neither Murray nor Milicic has supplanted Stattmann is an indicator of how far behind they are defensively. I think. I also believe it speaks to how well Franklin is progressing at everything not called “shooting the three”. I will be a little surprised if Murray and Milicic aren’t significant parts of the rotation at the start of next season. Whether they can retain their roles as the frosh become acclimated is another thing altogether.

4 Likes

I’m choosing to believe the idea that you said at the end: this is essentially a redshirt year but they’ve been able to play because the roster is so depleted of talent compared to previous years. As international prospects, they need more seasoning and we can treat next year as their true first year.

3 Likes

Yeah, situation definitely plays an important role along with player talent and readiness. I guess what I find interesting is that - except for Devon Hall which you explained well - pretty much every guard who has ended up being a major contributor for us during the Bennett era forced their way into at least semi-significant minutes their first year on the court. Now the sample size isn’t huge obviously, and that may be boiling it down too much, but at some point I do wonder if you’d be right most of the time if you assumed that guards pretty much show you who they are within their first year (while with bigs you’ve got to let them bake a little before you know what you’ve got). It’ll be really interesting to see if this holds for the three Ms or if they buck the trend.

2 Likes

Great work!

Tev redshirted (early entrant by a semester) btw…
Baron had half a redshirt year then got it taken off after 1st semester

Great stuff. Does anyone know how much Tony looks at analytics in his decision making? And does he have someone on staff calculating this kind of stuff for him? I would think so given they have that shooting tracking software whatever it’s called (I think called Noah?). Just curious.

I remember him saying in an interview that he actually doesn’t use advanced metrics all that much. But A) that was a few years ago, and B) who knows what “not that much” really means?

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if they didn’t at least have access to the metrics, though how you use them is what matters. Based on role descriptions, I’d guess that it would fall under Coach Carpenter’s role, and I’m betting he got some analytics exposure during his year in the NBA with Dallas.

I’ll pose a couple more related questions: when there is no clear path to early playing time (and, Virginia isn’t as attractive to elite recruits), how much of a risk is the staff willing to take on a prospect? And, if there is any validity to that question, how many of the back court prospects who played little as frosh were “high risk” recruits? It seems to me that there is almost a cycle to this in Virginia’s recruiting, and the current struggles are related to those cycles being disrupted. First, by the premature attrition of Guy and Jerome (and, to a lesser extent, Hunter), and then by the recruiting restrictions resulting from the pandemic.

If (when) we make the NIT, will Tony play the three M’s?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I remember that same interview. Bennett has access to advanced analytics, but he doesn’t use it that much. If you consider his offense, it’s pretty clear that he’s not emphasizing modern principles of floor spacing and scoring efficiency, but maybe that’s a function of the players we have too. The Golden State offense might be the most efficient, but it’s not exactly easy to run if you don’t have Steph Curry and Klay Thompson bombing away.

1 Like