2020-2021 Basketball Preseason

man I cant wait for us all to get up together. Again you nailed the IT. We all knew and know who is living and breathing basketball the way guys like Ty Jerome did. When I had a bad game as a back up to Crotty I went to Slaughter post game to play Not Rugby Rd (which I also loved ha)

2 Likes

I’m hoping Jabri Reece Casey Trey and Justin will be our dogs, but probably not until 21.

1 Like

That’s the mindset right there. Call it an MJ thing or Mamba mindset but it something different. For as low key as CTB is he’s got it. Huff great kid but you get the impression he could walk away from it all or worse have it taken from him and he’d move on to one of the other interests in his life. When i was playing rugby i lived and breathed it. I skipped weddings reunions everything becase the game came first. Those are the guys who find a way to make a play when you’re down 2 with 3 sec left on the clock.

1 Like

Tu you have a point. The guys with “IT” on this team might be first years. Reece and Jabri got “IT” I think, but they are going to need some time.

2 Likes

Exactly. And you know the guys on your team that dont.

3 Likes

Carson probably has the most ‘dog’ in him of anyone on this year’s team.

2 Likes

The first 60 seconds of this is all you need to see. Bri is a killer. He might be a bit of a liability on the defensive end his first year but he’s gonna be able to score and I guarantee he’s not gonna back down against anyone.

3 Likes

The moment will not be too big for Hauser. He is veteran proven performer with IT. Have no idea if he is a vocal leader or leader by example. Kihei will be our leader on the floor. This will be his team to run. Papi will be our enforcer when we need toughness. No one will push him around. Morsell was very deferential as 1st year but I think he will step up as a leader on this team. The way he played through his shooting struggles last year without it impacting his defense tells me a lot about his heart.

3 Likes

A few respectful points I would make to this:

1. I generally agree with your point in regards to transfers and impact- but my counter would be Hauser is the Hoos best transfer since Austin Nichols. Regardless of how that turned out, I think it’s a different caliber of guy. He should, at minimum, be a first team all ACC guy, with a ton of experience making big plays and shots.

2. Kihei could also be considered to have the “it” factor considering the big plays/shots he has made over the past 2 years.

3. In regards to Huff- agreed that his performance can be a bit up and down, but last year was also his first uninhibited shot at regular PT. I think for “it” factor, a lot of that is driven by guards who can break down the defense and make plays. So maybe the Hoos aren’t running the offense through Huff every single game. But I would be stunned if he doesn’t put together 7-10 “wow” performances, with consistent 12 and 8 type numbers, and ACC DPOY type presence. I think every team in the conference would take that.

4. Last point is not every year is the same in regards to relative talent level. There is no Zion, Tatum, stacked UNC squad or pesky Lville. Maybe this 20-21 UVA team has a tough time winning the conference and national title in previous years. This year, they are clearly the front runner in the conference, and just below the Gonzaga, Nova and Baylor top 3 tier. Hauser, Kihei, Huff and depth across the board with young talent is more than enough to compete and win often this year.

5 Likes

I very much agree with this. Ty and Guy had that IT factor that you just can’t fully explain. And they had it from the get go. I just can’t forget that Villanova game when Ty motioned to clear his side out with the game on the line as a freshman. Tu nailed this one. Some players have great talent. To get two players that talented with that special IT factor on the same team at the same time is truley something to watch. Gonads from hell. Add in the great talent that Dre was and you have the makings of greatness. Side note … I saw that IT factor from Dre in the championship game with Texas Tech. I get the feeling though that Ty and Guy were born with it
It allowed us to destroy the ACC …

7 Likes

Completely agree with the “it” factor. To win a NC, you need 3 future pros, at least 1-2 of whom have “it”—the badass factor. I say this very carefully and respectively, as it touches on the 3rd rail of discussing religion, but I’ve always thought there’s an inherent tension between “it” and the five pillars. Servanthood, etc. not really aligned with “it”. A sixth pillar: “badassery”? I think that’s the simple truth about Huff. He’s driven by other things, primarily faith. He’s aiming for a well-rounded, holistic approach to life, not just basketball. Probably great for his long term life satisfaction, but give me the obsessed, monomaniacal gym rat (with talent) any day.
That said, UVA could never win another game in my lifetime, and I’ve gotten more than I deserve already. That sounds like the gratitude pillar, lol.

2 Likes

He’ll get premium pay for those leagues cause his mom’s from the Philippines. They’ll pay extra for an Asian dude “coming home to play”

Christian Juzang’s playing in the Vietnamese league cuz of that

1 Like

Is premium pay in the Vietnamese league more than a UVA graduate could expect to make in the regular job market in America?

1 Like

Dunno. He’s a Harvard grad though, so I figure he’s worked it out for himself.

Probably much better outside of basketball income potential too.

1 Like

Don’t confuse the 5 pillars with lack of the “it” factor. Tony was an absolute killer in college and I think is one of the most competitive people around. The fire burns pretty hot. But he’s able to keep it inward and not project out on to other people. That’s more the humility pillar than servanthood.

8 Likes

Most likely when you take into account the typical athlete majors and the fact most UVA grads end up in expensive cities. Even if he made slightly less he probably would pocket significantly more.

1 Like

Add in cost of living probably is better. Southeast Asia is cheap to live in

1 Like

And Ty had the most IT

3 Likes

It??? Sam had more it last year than the rest of the team. And Huff can only be as good offensively as the guards and coaches willingness to play through him. Clark refused or was unable to pass him the ball on his rolls to the basket at least 4 times a game where he was wide open. TW did better in that role

Tre personality Forest is more like Dre. He isnt a dawg. I tell you who is a big puppy but can definitely be a dog in time. Carson Mccorkle is not afraid and he will not be intimidated. I watched him in person for years. He is not the curly hair and quiet suburban guy. Carson can bring it. But tu things concern me. The first one is, What type of role will Carson play in his career? If he is a player that will be on the court alot. I can see him being a dawg. The second thing is TB. TB do not believe in what I call “BALLING”. Balling is talking shit, showing emotions, BOOGIE, slight showboating and going at your opponent aggressively. Look how Guy played in HS and than at UVA. Even Guy fr yr is different than the last tu. I remember Guy told the Cuse crowd tu shutup with a gesture and TB said something tu him. Guy wasnt that annoying white boy that know he can ball and will let you know. Guy made many players look stupid in HS after they played him. He was a “BALLER”. It cane out every now and than but he changed. However, he was able tu still be a dawg because he had “IT”. If Carson have “IT”, he can over come TB humility preaching, play his game and play a quality role on the team. Plus allowed tu “Ball”. He can be a dawg for us. Thats my opinion.

1 Like