2020-2021 Basketball Preseason

Watching guys that really knew how to use the glass is awesome. Chris Havliceks dad would shoot around with us some and could use the glass from anywhere. Amazing shit

2 Likes

That was / is an art. Bryant Stith was also a master at utilizing the glass. He was so fundamentally sound!

1 Like

Wow - shooting with Hondo! Thank in and of itself is awesome.

1 Like

Tu eres de alto mantenimiento

2 Likes
9 Likes

Hondo was a hell of a player. That was awesome Fresh

I listened to the Rosthein interview with Jay Wright. Wright is a great dude. It’d be hard to tell him no.

1 Like

Man i have so many cool stories from him back in the day. Crazy part is he literally was just my teammate and friend Chris’s dad. Oh that we had no chance against in H O R S E. we couldnt even give him a letter

4 Likes

Tim Rash used to shoot 20’ bank shots out of habit. He was deadly using the glass from distance. John Wooden’s players used to use the glass when they would pull up on fast breaks. Curtis Rowe was superb at that.

The backboard can be your friend

1 Like

I don’t think that Kyle Guy achieved anywhere near the elevation in his jump shot which Thompson managed. The only two who I can remember who came close to Thompson were Len Bias and Buck Williams, but, of course, Williams didn’t take that many jump shots, as I recall.

You may want to go back and look at some video. Thompson may have had more elevation. But way more … No. Also all of Thompsons energy was used to elevate while part of Kyle’s energy was often used to contort himself to square up after the jump. But when kyle just went straight up he is more than ‘not even close’. Len Bias miight be a good comparison. Buck Williams could jump. He was a thorn in Ralphs side. But not so much as a jump shooter.

Tim Rash was a freak shooter using the backboard. He amazed me. This dude’s specialty was shooting long range bankers. He would have been banging 3’s off the board if there had been a 3 point shot back then. That would have driven opposing coaches absolutely crazy.

While I was in law school at Tulane, I went to a game at the gym there, which was negligibly bigger than a high school gym, where they played Marquette with Dwayne Wade. It almost seemed like he had bet someone he would bank every shot. He was banking in shots a step off the baseline. It was surreal to see.

Official announcement

3 Likes

I still can’t get over the lack of fan engagement during the pandemic. Other teams are already doing the “Get to know this player” interviews since they know there will be limited physical fan interaction. Meanwhile do we even know our first years are on ground outside reports from others? Haven’t even seen them in practice uniforms or UVA gear outside one photo with Caffaro and Shedrick in practice.

8 Likes

Exactly. This is extremely, piss poor management and marketing in this day and age of Covid, an underwhelming football record, and the fact that we are actually preseason ACC number one and top 5 in the country. It would be nice to have something for our high profile recruits to see, and to let them know that they will he getting the same attention coming here as they would dook, Unc, Louisville, Auburn, etc. whose social media and attention to the marketing of their program is kicking our ass! Lastly, we the fans I think would appreciate a bit more (I want to say deserve, but I know some people will get on their high horse about it), news and updates. It’s not like our style or defense is a secret, so why not show something.

4 Likes

My guess is this is Bennett’s call. We are about the same age and the social media deal just isn’t as big a deal from my age group.

1 Like

Tweeting more about what your program is and what it means to be a Hoo doesn’t make you less humble though. Heck Duke is even tweeting about Early Voting/Using their platform. UNC is showcasing their athletes and giving their fans a look into the personalities of their first years.

I don’t think that’s it. He probably doesn’t think about Twitter/Instagram/ whatever it is. Probably means very little to him.

1 Like