2020-2021 Basketball Preseason

When I played (80’s) most definitely and the hosting team provided two kegs for the party afterwards (one keg was a serious slight and might affect future scheduling)

4 Likes

Hah thats club rugby. Good times for sure. But been a minnaincd i was near that. The higher up the ranks you go the less the beer flows

2 Likes

UVA rugby was famous for supplying kegs to players on the home and opponent teams.
Oh, that was before, during, and after the games.

3 Likes

Home team still host post game. Even at the international level. We meet at a hotel sit downneat drink laugh then hit the town

2 Likes

That’s so sad. All the great traditions are being jettisoned by the current generation.

I’ve apparently been playing the wrong sports all my life.

4 Likes

Thats a possibility

2 Likes

It isn’t the current generation of youth. It’s the current generation of authority figures

3 Likes

Good point. After all, who in their right mind would ever play rugby sober?
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My era we where considered drunks for sure but hungover was much more likely than drunk at game time the more competitive the club becomes the better behaved pregame. My club (RATS) may have lost a lot of matches the first few years but we never lost a party.

3 Likes

Ive heard of RATS. As the game went pro it got more professional. It changed a ronnin my 17ish years. The difference is there’s a time and a 0lace social games are fun and loose plenty of booze. Bit when theres money on the table you tend tohold it together

1 Like

Are you serious Cville. I have no idea why im replying. I was trying tu show that you have tu be tough tu play this sport. Why would you take that serious? I cant deal with these cornballs. Any way, I apologize. Im out

3 Likes

Tu many of your post come across as trolling attempts imho

2 Likes

Cville, Please Dont read my post if you think I’m trolling. I have no idea how you see me trolling about Rugby when I said Im scared and respect people who play the game. I PROMISE you will NEVER see your name in my post and I PROMISE I will never reply tu you again. Good Luck Tu you sir.

4 Likes

Ok. Back to the IT factor. I believe that IT is a combination of many factors - yes, its part attitude, part style, part swag, but a player can’t have IT without having the potential, the physical ability, to play at the top level, practicing to develop that potential until you reach a high level of proficiency, the ability to repeat what you have practiced without thought, preparing to play by studying, being receptive to coaching, being able to translate practice into performance. Only when all of those are present can a player, regardless of the sport, have the confidence in his own ability and the confidence of his teammates, to know the moment and not be fearful of failing when that moment occurs. Doesn’t mean you are the “best” player on the court although often that person is (for example, Michael Jordan). Ty had IT because he developed in an arena, NY summer leagues, where he had to or else he would have been abused. Kyle had IT and developed IT by working endlessly to the point he overcame his physical limitations at 6’1" and 165 lbs, to become one of the best collegiate jump shooters I’ve ever seen, elevating on his shot way beyond most. Another player who had IT was Akil. His teammates did not want to have him on their butt and his intensity lifted them. I always remember him knocking away shots after the play was whistled - he just couldn’t let an opponent’s ball go through the hoop under any circumstances, even when it didn’t count.

Maybe this year, all those things coalesce in Jay.

Problem is many players confuse IT with selfishly taking THE SHOT. Ty won games in our run to the title because he made passes not shots that won the game. So, maybe a bit of humbleness is part of IT, being able to know what is called for in the situation, and being willing to give up yourself in order to do that which wins.

Just an old man’s thoughts.

6 Likes

It does what it takes to win regardless of what that calls for

1 Like

I saw virtually every home game that David Thompson played at NCSU from JV till the end of his career. Without having to rack my memory he is the only player on the college level i can remember getting the kind of elevation on his jump shot that Kyle did. Thompson was more of a straight up into the air kind of jump shooter. Kyle could perform pilates moves while airborne. We may never see that again at UVA.

5 Likes

Saw Thompson at U-Hall - unbelievable how high he could get. Kyle was special in his ability to square his shoulders to the hoop while the lower half of his body was 45 degrees off - I watch the highlight clips of prospects and it leaves me even more amazed at Kyle’s development and just how good he was and how he continued to develop. Early in his career here, he went a little out of his range and his % and consistency suffered. I watch clips of him now and he is effortless from 30 feet. I believe he will make some $ playing in the NBA.

3 Likes

Kyle has a complete gift at jump shooting. Bobby Sura was a little bit that way too but bigger; and Guys release is so nice and natural. Has little bit of the Larry Bird release up high at the top of his J

5 Likes

Good comp on Sura, although he was definitely much bigger.

On reflection, Jeff Lamp was a “jump” shooter with a nasty attitude as well. On the baseline, I remember him turning into the defender as he elevated, his elbow smacking their face on the way up, hitting the bucket and drawing the foul.

Wally was a jump shooter as well, but his release was on the way up. Smooth though - I watched him work out at Mem Gym pre-draft and the ball just went through the hoop without hardly disturbing the net. He was great on the bank shot as well - a lost art now.

2 Likes