2020-2021 Basketball Preseason

I think it’s important to remember that what we’re asking for in regards to social media content isn’t extreme. Is it so unreasonable for fans of one of the best basketball programs in the country with one of the most passionate fan bases to ask for a flew clips of practice? Maybe a 30-second interview abt how a first year is adjusting? Nobody is asking for state secrets, and it wouldn’t affect CTB or the purpose/effectiveness of practice whatsoever.

This point has been made many times, but pretty soon, cbb players are going to be able to make money off themselves and marketablity is what will bring in the dough. For these guys, social media is going to be their premier platform for advertising products because, if they have a significant following, that’s an easily accessible audience for a brand. Producing high quality content from a team’s account will drive people to the players accounts and will make them money.

This is a no-brainer.

11 Likes

Exactly, man. A little less time tweeting is a little more time to spend hitting the sled. I agree with you 100%. Excellent point. Top notch.

Ppl from Va hate us bc were a whiny fan base. Not bc of anything TB and the basketball program do. He kids that will be making a lot of money bc of social media will already have the huge follower count before they even commit to a college. Can’t believe ppl are crying over social media presence during football season. :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I think people like Gohoos7 and WFS_HOO are missing the point. It’s not wasted time by staff since they aren’t the ones personally tweeting.

It’s not all or nothing. Just because we are critical of the social media team means we are also critical of the program as a whole. Life ain’t black and white.

5 Likes

I was being sarcastic towards him. Brogdon fan page nailed it. It’s ridiculous that we don’t have any content out. I honesty don’t even know if we have a social media team for basketball. With as little content as we have a student manager could be running it for all we know.

5 Likes

You guys think there are different departments doing social media/marketing for football and basketball? I can assure you that isn’t the case.

1 Like

Lol its hard to read sarcasm online. My brain is getting old. So is my body. But my brain too.

2 Likes

Even Clemson Basketball is giving more to their fans than us. Will their social media presence get them out of the NIT this year? Probably not. Will it grow interest in the Clemson basketball program. Probably not since 90% of the clemson fans don’t even know they have a bball team. But the important question: Are the 5 clemson basketball fans on cloud 9 right now with all the footage and social media engagement? Yeah they are and THAT COULD BE ME IF UVA CARED

I had to explain to my family why I was crying at a family dinner in 2012 when we lost to an ODU team that was missing two starters. Give me my practice clips

https://twitter.com/ClemsonMBB

2 Likes

I was at that ODU game in Richmond. Brutal loss that probably kept us out of the dance that season.

1 Like

My man, if Mike Scott was your introduction to UVA basketball and that game made you cry, you don’t have very much to complain about in terms of Virginia basketball.

4 Likes

I mean I assume with Leito there were no expectations anyways towards the end of his tenure. I imagine 2018 with the expectations even without Hunter was crushing to everyone, no matter when they became a fan and I don’t think anything previous could compare because nothing in college basketball history could compare to being the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed by 20 points. We have had enough choke jobs and Florida/Michigan State games prior to the natty to get any new fans caught up to UVA suffering

1 Like

The Sampson era was before my time, but there were some devastating losses. The older Hoos could provide details, I’m sure.

3 Likes

Several Nightmares

I do agree with @brogdonfanpage .I dont know a lot about it but times change. I’m sure I’m one of the oldest ones on here and I have experienced many heartaches through all the years of being a Hoo fanatic . Having more of a social presence online has to help. I also understand what it was like when I was a kid. It really hurt worse back then than now With the exception of the UMBC game. I didn’t want to see anyone the first months

Don’t get me wrong, the UMBC loss hurt. However, strangely enough, the Elite 8 loss to Syracuse in 2016 was the most painful loss for me.

10 Likes

+1 No comparison for me

12 Likes

Both hurt plenty for me. Syracuse was the most maddening though, by far. We were up so much, dominating the game and then suddenly we forgot how to make lay ups and bunnies. And when we couldn’t, we couldn’t figure out to just slow THE F down and work the clock.

UMBC was just a bizarro game, on a bizarro night, in a bizarro universe. We were off all night and they couldn’t miss. It felt like it was trending that way early.

I’m old enough to remember the game with that team from Hawaii, but I was too young to really be phased by it.

3 Likes

Both the UMBC and Syracuse losses in hoops. Arkansas in 1995.

Georgia Tech in football when we were #1. Such UVA self-inflicted wounds.

That’s not the correlation we are making lol. So you’re saying that a national championship team deserves less of a marketing presence for its fans ??? Keep trying.

(I see that you were being sarcastic). I’m glad you think we are not asking the world, from our social media team!

2 Likes