2020-2021 season

Soon I think. All of the international guys have come back to Charlottesville and I think others are slowly making their way here. I assume camp will start soon after everyone arrives

3 Likes

Football players arrived yesterday and are beginning off season training today. Not sure how many have arrived at this point.

5 Likes

You should start a football thread. I certainly would enjoy it.

5 Likes

We absolutely will now that things are getting going.

2 Likes

I don’t have much of an opinion if this is a good idea or not but it’s getting a lot of play today.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/06/ncaa-asks-conferences-to-start-season-early

4 Likes

There is so much that will happen between now and November that for anyone to suggest anything seems kind of absurd. Not saying he is right or wrong but come on man

7 Likes

It changes week by week. I think a good strategy is to stick your head in the sand and come up every two weeks to see where we are. Obviously college presidents can’t do that but I can.

3 Likes

yea man. for someone on the committee to suggest seems strange to me. And under what auspice?

3 Likes

The times are so strange, and there are really no precedents to guide anyone. I don’t know what to think about the proposal yet. I think it needs to be discussed, and the pros and cons clearly delineated. With that in mind, I believe Gavitt’s suggestion is a good thing. At least it gets the PsTB thinking about the possibilities in a meaningful way. Putting things off isn’t going to work. Moving the season up two weeks may be a terrible idea in the end, but it is a starting point. And, if there is to be a college basketball season this year, they have to start somewhere.

2 Likes

For me is also so much about the players being ready physically to be in elite shape to play as well. I just dont get the “2 week earlier” idea unless I am reading this the wrong way

2 Likes

My take is that they are entertaining the notion that few, if any, games will be played between Thanksgiving and the New Year. If that’s the case, then each team will have fewer contests, or the season will have to be extended. Extending the front end by two weeks helps reduce the issues which will be found in the spring. I think. Who knows?

4 Likes

uncharted waters man. How can any of us know.

5 Likes

Any impact on our guys? ICE: Foreign Students Must Leave The U.S. If Their Colleges Go Online-Only This Fall : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
I forget if we are having in person classes or not this fall.

1 Like

President Ryan posted a message to Virginia’s foreign students on Facebook. Essentially, he said every effort would be made to provide a real classroom experience for all of them, however limited that experience might be. In addition, he said UVa would be working with other universities and colleges. While I don’t know what this might mean, I think it might suggest an exchange program. For those institutions which cannot offer a real classroom, their foreign students might take a class at a school which can. At least, I hope this is a possibility.

2 Likes

@DFresh11 that’s one of the reasons I think the NBA bubble is going to be a shit show. These guys have been off for months and then they have to be ready for playoffs in a few weeks. Dudes are gonna get hurt. That would scare me more than the virus.

4 Likes

That’s a great point. It’s going to be tough for some of those guys tho ramp up to playoff level basketball on such a short notice. We are going to see who has the best at home trainers that kept them in shape and ready.

2 Likes

I bet a lot of teams end up using those 8 seeding games very similarly to a preseason with focus more on conditioning and activity ramp-up than winning. The teams who want to fight for seeding though are in a tough situation (prayers up for Zion’s knees)

2 Likes

That’s the hard part there are 3 or 4 teams that have to go all in on those play-in games to secure seeding etc.

They say Zion’s gotten in shape, but I maintain a deep fear that Zion is more Greg Odom than we realize.

That would suck if he could never stay healthy.

1 Like

Yeah from the pics I’ve seen he looks as good as he has since coming to the NBA, but will have to see what happens going forward for them and how they manage it. I have to say I’m glad he was only at Duke 1 year because being able to watch him without having to root against him is pretty fun lol

2 Likes