2020-2021 season

I hope I’m wrong about Zion, and hopefully he got himself into game shape during the layoff. But from his history of the 2 knee injuries so far, and we are similar builds (I’m not nearly as explosive or athletic) but the point being it’s tough to carry that type of weight and be as explosive as he is and take the pounding the NBA requires.

all great points and love reading this stuff. One thing I know for sure is in basketball to be elite and in real shape to play you have to be playing all the time. Like the Dragon says I dont wanna be right on this but I think it will be very hard for big percent of players to get ready that quickly and be able to go. Maybe the rotations will be broader than usual for first 3 quarters of games. That would make sense

1 Like

One factor to take into consideration is that sports science has come some way even since Greg Oden. Who knows if it’s true, but whenever Titus and Tate talk about him, they at least say that team doctors and staff now would have very different ideas about what to do with Greg’s uneven legs than they did then, and they feel like it could have extended his career significantly. Now I know literally nothing about this stuff, so maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but something to consider. Zion will have all the best doctors giving him advice.

All that said, my personal uninformed opinion has still been that playing at that weight and with his play style just won’t work out for too too long. I’m not one to say he is overweight - he’s an incredible athlete - but does just feel like it’s entirely logical to put less strain on them.

2 Likes

Yeah, Oden had serious issues beyond what Zion has had - dude barely could use on of his arms that whole season (and still was incredible showing how good he could have been).

For the sports science side, the Pels made a big deal of signing Aaron Nelson from the Suns to run their training department. Nelson and his staff have a great reputation for lengthening the careers of guys like Nash, Shaq, and Grant Hill. I agree his playing weight should probably be closer to 270, but this guy’s body is also wholly unique so I feel like we’re all operating on a dearth of info when we speculate on this.

2 Likes

Great points from @MaineWahoo and @LeftCoastHoo. I do think the science has improved in a ton and that helps Zion a lot, having access to the best care out there.

I also agree with both of you, his overall size and weight concern me. Even with science and training, In my mind the physics are against him. I’d love to see him playing at a 270 or even a 260. He’s only 19 or 20 years old so it’s safe to assume he will gain weight naturally, and he may not have as much of a ceiling as others to do that.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

At this point I’m just hoping we have a season, even if it doesn’t start until second semester. I’m not even going to speculate on fans or seating or season ticket holders.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1281303990546948096

Don’t B1G teams already play a 10 or 11 game conference schedule? Point being they are only knocking off 1 maybe 2 games. The ripple affects through college football for other conferences could be big, but maybe not.

1 Like

I don’t really get it. If you can play 8 or 9 football games you can play them all. I guess it cuts down on travel a little but that’s it.

2 Likes

That’s what I was getting at. I don’t see how canceling 2 games that are mostly “local” changes anything

1 Like

UW v. ND at Lambeau may be the biggest loss.

1 Like

I imagine it will Have to do with uniform testing and other policies that conference members must adhere to. Will just make things simpler

2 Likes

It’s grasping at straws until they finally cancel (or move) the season. It’s a difficult decision to make economically, and there aren’t many people out there with the strength to make it.

2 Likes

Financially the cancellation of college football is going to ruin some people and organizations. Not saying that’s a reason to play in unsafe conditions. But you are right.

3 Likes

Here we go

3 Likes

And we begin the slow march to who cancels the season first. The networks or the leagues.

5 Likes

Yep. This feels like the first week in March when we watched the basketball season slowly die.

6 Likes

That’s a good comparison

3 Likes