2020-2021 season

This was my exact point earlier. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. A finished product Hauser and a budding prospect Dre. Makes no sense.

That said give me the over on 9.2 ppg for Hauser. I’d go as far to say if he doesn’t hit the over on that then this year is a disappointment.

6 Likes

If you guys read up the chain you’ll see the comparison stemmed directly from davethewave’s post claiming hauser would be the highest impact “first year player” this century for uva, and so the premise of the discussion shifted to an apples/oranges comparison. He basically said that because hauser is an orange, he will be more impactful than any of the apples. And then I said, well, Dre was a damn impactful apple, even if he was a redshirt apple.

I agree that hauser will be good. He may be more impactful in his first year than Dre was in his first year. My whole point is it’s not a lock at all. Sure Dre had a bunch of experienced players and stud young guys on his team. Can we not claim the same for Hauser?

We saw what that team looked like with Dre and without Dre so we kinda know how impactful he was.

1 Like

Interesting discussion, but I doubt that either Hunter’s or Hauser’s impact will be as significant as that of London Perrantes in his first year. When Perrantes became a starter, the Virginia program moved to an entirely different level. While I am very hopeful about what Hauser is capable of accomplishing, I do not believe he can affect the program in the fundamental ways in which Perrantes did.

3 Likes

I actually heard Caffarro has been impressive. He is not Jack Salt. I was told He is looking for the ball and want tu score. They actually said he is a blackhole. LOL He is fundamentally sound and play with power and agression. However, he is not Jack defensively either. He is not as sound and still have issues setting screens and hedging. But much better than last yr. He is giving Huff and Kaden fits in the paint. I heard this a few weeks ago so Im not sure what is up now. They believe Caffarro can play a quality role for us this year. They also said he is good at offensive rebounding. I hope we can utilize that skill this year. It will help with posessions and our scoring avg. Plus give us more opportunity for easier baskets instead of fighting for 30 seconds for a shot all the damn time.

16 Likes

My impression of Caffaro’s first season was that his performance was somewhere between Jack Salt and Jay Huff when they were RS frosh. Offensively, more skilled than Salt, but not Huff. Defensively, more skilled than Huff, but not quite Salt. All in all, I was pleased. Now, if the trajectory of his development can only follow similar paths as those of his predecessors.

3 Likes

Good stuff TU. Just as important, as much as Jay has improved defensively, will still can’t expect him to play 35mins a game guarding the Armado Bacots of the world. If Caffaro/Shedrick can give us match up driven 10-12 mins a game, without sacrificing defensive and fouling, we are going to be scary scary good.

Obviously one of our biggest questing marks going in is interior defense and rebounding with the loss of Mamadi and Braxton. Those were so so good positionally on D and either getting the rebounds or taking up bodies for others to do so. Need guys to fill those shoes.

3 Likes

Any intel on Shedrick?

Come on really? Can Bacot even hope to guard Huff???

Kadin is better at this stage than any other big man under Tony - possible exception - Tobey.

3 Likes

You moved the line to something else … will be fun to revisit these comments in March … Hauser will be a top 3 finisher in ACC player of the year. In his first year. Anyone else done that at UVA since 1981?

Not UVA but definitely the biggest story in college basketball today.

5 Likes

Hey all! Let’s try and move our conversation abt college basketball season/preseason stuff to the 2020-2021 basketball preseason thread. Trying to retire this one. At this point it’s too long for new users and can be a bit intimidating, so we’re trying to consolidate the conversation into shorter, condensed threads. Appreciate the great discussion!

2 Likes

This is interesting. Are you getting reports from somewhere or are you basing this off of his HS videos etc?

I was under the impression that the issue at hand was, “Which player had the greatest impact in their first year of play at Virginia?” While there have been better players than Perrantes, and it may be that Hauser will be among them, Perrantes impact, as a 1st year player, was more significant than than any during the Bennett era, IMO. He elevated the play of everyone around him. I am unsure of which other first year players can say that.

1 Like