2020 class thread

Signing week is here, and the high school season is getting underway. I thought I’d go ahead and devote a a thread to updates on our three future Hoos.

Carson McCorkle looks to lead Greensboro Day to their 4th straight state championship. They’re 1-1 on the young season. He scored 31 in a blowout win over The Christ School, then had 9 in a loss to Durham Academy. A signing ceremony is set for tomorrow morning.

Reece Beekman put up some ridiculous stats last season, averaging 22 pts, 10 rbs, 10 ats, 3.6 steals and 2.6 blocks. Scotlandville has won the last two state titles, with Reece named MVP in both games. In typical fashion, he’ll sign privately this week.

Jabri Abdur-Rahim was named New Jersey’s 2019 Gatorade Player of the Year in helping Blair Academy to Prep League and State titles. He’s already signed this afternoon.

They all gave comments to Wahoos247 on the excitement of making it official this week.

5 Likes

One of several pics from Jabri’s mom.

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B404Ux6psHN/

7 Likes

Reece is official too, from his AAU coach.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B41JIeoh3y0/?igshid=kmn1ye4pg4sj

8 Likes

Not directly related to our class but how did NC State land Carson’s teammate Cam Hayes. I thought he was destined for a blue blood.

2 Likes

Cam didn’t have a great summer. Some of that interest dried up. His potential is huge though. He’s a great fit at State too, terrific in transition.

2 Likes

They’re all signed now with Carson on board this morning. We should get a press release from UVA soon with comments from the coaches.

4 Likes

And there’s the press release.

“We are excited to welcome Jabri, Reece and Carson into the Virginia men’s basketball family,” Bennett said. “These young men are talented, versatile and highly-competitive. They come from great families, who understand the value of a degree from the University of Virginia. We look forward to them joining our program next fall.”

5 Likes

Jabri with a big game to start the season. Blair beat a really talented Orangeville Prep team 103-97 at the Naismith Prep Classic in Toronto. They’ll play again tomorrow.

And those 21 FTs aren’t that much of a an aberration. He led the Nike EYBL in FT attempts this past summer.

Virginia bound 20’ SG Jabri Abdur-Rahim (@jabri404) of Blair Academy (NJ) finished with 33 points (20-21 FT) and 8 boards in a win this morning. Tony Bennett getting one of the best scorers in the 2020 class next season @CoachMantegna.

— Samad Hines (@Samad_Hines) November 16, 2019
4 Likes

Really excited about the potential of this class. A PG that AVERAGED a triple double as Junior, one of the best wing scorers in his class nationally, and one of if not the best pure shooter in the class with phenomenal shooting % from 3, combined, and FT. Oh and joined by 15 pt avg 5th year senior that has great shooting % as well.

3 Likes

So am I. This class is very talented. UVA is set for big things. Outside shooting is definitely not gonna be a problem and Jabri is one of the most talented scorers in his class

2 Likes

Weekend highlights from Jabri.

https://twitter.com/jabri404/status/1196932836185509888

3 Likes

If Bri is half as good at JPJ next year as his highlights suggest, we fans are going to have so much fun!

2 Likes

Watching Virginia-Vermont last night, it’s impossible to miss that none of these guys want the ball in their hands. Yeah, late in the second half, Kihei had a few minutes when he decided to go get buckets, but other than that it was glaringly obvious that we lack a confident, give-me-the-ball scorer. Not Mamadi, not Jay. Not Braxton. Certainly not any of our guards (although I’m convinced their shots will start to fall).

Next year? We’re bringing in four of them (Jabri, Carson, Reece, and don’t forget Joey Hauser). All of them are really aggressive.

2 Likes

Sam.

1 Like

Wait… we got the wrong Hauser?

:smile:

2 Likes

I guess I saw the second half differently than you did. I saw all four of the players you mention make aggressive and crucial plays, including several strong drives to the basket by Kihei and Mamadi. Huff and Key did not hesitate to shoot either when they had the chance. Moreover, statistically speaking, the second half against Vermont was by far our best offensive outing of the season (e.g., 37 second half points against a very good defense). I agree, however, that Morsell and Woldo were passing up shots in the last 10 minutes and deferring to the upperclassmen (okay, Kihei is not technically one). Other than Hauser and maybe JAR, I will be surprised if the 1st years next year are more aggressive offensively than Morsell and Woldo have been.

3 Likes

I believe that we as fans are not as confident about our go to guys as we were last year when we had 3 that could step up. I’m still not sure that we do yet but the veterans kept their cool and did make the shots when we needed them. Time will tell but I believe we have guys that can do it and will. When we play Duke and UNC they have to keep that composure. Kehei really done a great job last night

1 Like

I feel that is more a result of having elite bigs compared to elite guards. Diakite is likely our best player and best overall talent and he’s not really the one to initiate the offense and get himself a bucket. That doesn’t mean he can’t be a go to guy, we’ll just have to put him in the right position. That stretch for Kihei when he I believe he scored 10 pts in a row for us opened my eyes that he can be a legitimate creator on offense and that is very encouraging. Are we as set up as last year? No! But the fact of the matter is, Kihei looked off Kyle and Ty and made the play to heave it to Mamadi. That’s not a guy looking to get the ball out of his hands, that’s a guy looking to make a play. I don’t think we’ll really be able to just give the ball to one guy this year on a late possession, we’re going to have too incorporate everybody but that’s okay. I’m confident that the 4 returners want the ball. No they won’t make plays that Dre, Kyle, and Ty did, but then again, nobody else has in UVA Bball history.

2 Likes

uuhm . . . they didn’t bring home a national championship but Lamp, Raker, and Sampson were pretty fair playmakers.

1 Like