2020 class thread

They definitely were! But, as you mentioned, they literally didn’t do (or make plays in the biggest games like) what Ty, Dre, and Kyle did. Just saying we shouldn’t hold this team and it’s best guys to the standard we held last year’s team to.

2 Likes

The Hoop State Network is streaming Carson’s game tomorrow night. Scheduled for 7:30. I’ll be sure to post a link when it comes available.

Greensboro Day is up against the Cannon School featuring Jaden Bradley, one of the best sophomore guards in the country.

2 Likes

Jabri’s segment starts around 21:00 in. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Jabri’s game today at the National Prep Showcase will be streamed.

Blair Academy vs New Hampton scheduled for 3pm.

3 Likes

I didn’t get to see much of Jabri’s game. They won 91-89. Box score has him with 37 points
12-25 FG
5-11 3FG
8-10 FT
5 rebounds

Not too shabby.

3 Likes

I watched the 2nd half. We have definitely got some offensive help coming. He can score from anywhere. He’s gonna be a great player. Had 37 or 38 points and they came from all over the court

5 Likes

Really excited about the guys in next years class. With our outside shooting woes so far this year(which I expect to get better), these guys are really going to benefit the program pretty fast.

3 Likes

Virginia commit 2020 PG Reece Beekman (@reece_beekman) is averaging 23.0 PPG, 7.5 APG, and 9.0 RPG for Scotlandville (LA) through 4 games. An effective rebounder for a PG. Will play 3 more games this month before hitting the famous @CityOfPalmsBKB later this month.

— Samad Hines (@Samad_Hines) December 3, 2019
5 Likes

Gonzaga (DC) forward Terrance Williams announced his decommitment from Georgetown today. I doubt UVA is interested. He and Justin McKoy are too similar and he would make it hard for them to get the more athletic forward like DaRon Holmes they’re aiming for. But we’ll see. I’m often surprised.

3 Likes

Corey Evans tweeted a list of schools that have contacted Terrance Williams. UVA not among them. I don’t think we need to pay attention to him.

2 Likes
5 Likes

40Ball! Cant wait till he is in Charlottesville. Great attitude and personality ! Gonna be big time

2 Likes

I really like the guy already. Great sense of humor…doesnt take himself too seriously and seems to have a great work ethic. Seems to really be the right fit.
Just my thoughts and what I noticed from some of the video clips of Jabri. Could Virginia start to become a bit more opportunistic on fast breaks with a player like this? I feel like for the past five years, we really struggle on fast breaks, and it is one of the gaps in our offensive game that we could really show some drastic improvement…Not saying we should completely switch up our offense and be a nonstop fast pace team, but these type of baskets should be easy baskets when the opposing defense is most vulnerable that could really boost our offensive efficiency. Tony Bennett teams offensively are historically so smart and meticulous in seeking the best shots and we usually have such a great offensive efficiency. What if we become an opportunistic fast break team, that maintains a meticulous slow pace offense, but gives more free reign to talented players like Jabri when the fast break opportunity is there…

2 Likes

From Carson’s Instagram story…

2 Likes

Carson McCorkle update:

Some of you might have seen his IG post. He’s wearing a cast on his right foot. I just talked to his dad. Carson had been dealing with pain in his foot for a while. An MRI found a stress fracture which could result in a break if they didn’t get him off it. He’ll miss at least 4-6 weeks. They’re hoping he could possibly return in time for the state playoffs. It was actually discovered by UVA doctors after a casual conversation raised fears during his visit for the UNC game.

8 Likes

Get the boots out of the way in high school.

Shrewd, Tony, shrewd.

Any appendix updates?

3 Likes

And we got another one down for a bit.

UVA commit @jabri404 of @BlairAcademy_NJ is out 2-3 weeks with a bone bruise and has a boot on his right foot. Told me, ‘I’ll be alright ‘

— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) December 15, 2019
3 Likes

Hooz, I know that ranking sites are flawed but after to listening to Carson on an earlier podcast I was wondering about his lower ranking (approx #125) vs. Morsell, Shedrick and his 2 classmates. Do you agree that he should be ranked lower? If so does it involve lesser athletic ability or skills that he needs to improve on? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m not HGN, but here’s my take on McCorkle: he’s a big 6’3" shooter who projects strictly as a shooting guard. He was a four-star recruit in the 2021 class before reclassifying. By then, he was a Virginia commit, so I’m not sure he was really diligently scouted as a member of the 2020 class. So he’s probably slightly underrated.

Now, he’s also not on the level of a Jabri or Reece, who are take-over-the-game players. But he’ll fit in perfectly at Virginia because he’s smart, coachable, moves well without the ball, and, of course, is a great shooter. Perfect teammate. But not a finished product: needs work on defense, strength, ballhandling.

4 Likes

I’m not HGN either but I believe that is a good assessment of McCorkle’s game. Great shooter, smart player and hard worker. His defense has improved according to his coach but I believe there is work to do. One thing about this class is their offensive ability. Something we really need. Jabri in particular is a threat from anywhere. Excited about him

2 Likes