2020 class thread

I think if they were ranking by what they expected a player’s college value to be, Carson would be Top 50 easy. But it’s mostly about pro potential. Even that, they’re underestimating. He’s got a lot of that old man game where he makes hard things look easy, just with supreme skill. He’s an ELITE shooter, plays with a lot of maturity. He probably doesn’t pop enough. That’s really what this boils down to. Bright flashes get attention, not consistency. Needs to improve his lateral movement, that’s the biggest knock right now. And get more confident in his ball handling, needs to be a dependable secondary handler.

5 Likes

Thanks guys. That was really informative. I am really excited to watch this years and next years freshman develop under TB and the coaching staff. Really enjoyed listening to Jabri and Carson on the podcast.

4 Likes

Big weekend for Reece Beekman. They’re playing at the City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers. High end comp. They got a win in the opener this afternoon against Vashon (MO) with Kentucky signee CamRon Fletcher. Will play again on Friday against the winner of McEachern (GA) and Roman Catholic ¶, both with some elite talent.

Are any of Reece’s games this weekend being streamed?

1 Like

Good question ,I would like to know that also.

Looks like City of Palms is streamed by Flo Hoops, a subscription service.

But there’s some great highlights. Coach Vandross was still in town for this afternoon’s clash of top point guards.

3 Likes

Beekman must have joined joined his classmates on the band-aid crew. He only played one minute in today’s game. I would assume nothing that seemed serious or otherwise the flock of media folks there would have reported on it. Scotlandville still somehow pulled off the win over Whitney Young (IL) with future Dukie DJ Steward. New UVA football signee Jonathan Horton led Scotlandville with 13 points. They’ll play again on Monday.

1 Like

Would Bronco allow Horton to play basketball?

They were willing to let Drake London do it. Of course he was a basketball recruit first. I don’t think there’s any plan of it with Horton though.

Horton is gonna have to bulk up too much to make that feasible I’d guess

1 Like

I wouldn’t think Tony would care about bulk. After all look at Justin Anderson, he could play linebacker for most NFL teams. Are you thinking Bronco might object because playing basketball would make it harder for him to bulk up?

I don’t think Horton is ACC level basketball player.

Two things here. First, Reece did sit out again today. But he’s still there and there’s no obvious braces or anything. So hopefully whatever he has going on isn’t a big deal.

EMf-piQX0AA8-_h

Lastly, hell of a showing for Scotlandville in Fort Myers. They went 2-0 without Reece, finishing it off with a win over Stepinac (NY) who features UNC signee RJ Davis and '21 Duke commit AJ Griffin. Scotlandville has a couple mid major recruits and our guy Horton.

3 Likes

Beekman highlights

4 Likes

Easy to see why he was the top target. Has a craftiness about him that reminds me of Ty.

3 Likes

Reece is back in action

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/high_schools/article_fc29247a-2a7f-11ea-9942-73462aee12db.html

5 Likes

Reece Beekman and Scotlandville will be playing in the Sugar Bowl Classic championship game tonight. Should be live streamed here scheduled for 9pm eastern.

Highlights from yesterday’s game.

4 Likes

Looking at Carson’s Instagram I’m guessing he ended up having to have surgery on that foot?

2 Likes

Yeah I assume so. I’m just seeing that.

5 Likes

So I just talked to Carson’s dad. Here’s what’s going on.

As they looked more closely, they found he had a rather large bone fragment lodged between two bones in his foot. it was disrupting normal movement in his foot and ankle, and would have eventually snapped his navicular bone.

He had successful surgery to remove the fragment. According to the doctor, he’s been playing with this for 3 or 4 years. It was preventing him from moving both laterally and vertically to his full potential. That’s pretty incredible, considering how good he’s been with that going on. Doctors were amazed that he had been playing at all.

Here’s what they took out.

He’ll be off his feet for the next 6 weeks and then start rehab. They’re hopeful he’ll be back to playing again in 12 weeks. This obviously ends his senior high school season. One point Brad made was this isn’t like Malcolm Brogdon’s foot injury. Carson’s stress fracture is much less severe.

Carson wants fans to know that this was a decision they made to handle this now so that he could be at his best at UVA. It’s a positive in the long run.

13 Likes