2020 Football Season

I definitely think Nebraska is jumping ship from the BIG this season, could see PSU UofM looking to do the same. Same for the Big12 OU and UT are going to find a way to play.

Appreciate the honesty here. The weā€™re only delaying not cancelling thing is a total cop out.

1 Like

Well it is Urban Meyer saying it soā€¦

1 Like

Howā€™s the Big 12 not out in front of playing this fall? I figured a league based in Texas with schools in Oklahoma, Iowa and Kansas would be a sure go come hell or high water.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what the football implications are, but I wonder if UNCā€™s experience is going to affect UVA or other ACC schoolsā€™ approach to returning students: https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/unc-chapel-hill-halting-in-person-classes-as-campus-coronavirus-crisis-grows/19239935/

The short version is that UNC offered both online and in-person options and 5-6k students returned to campus (I forget where I saw that number), and they had 135 new COVID-19 cases reported in the first week. Now they will be online-only and theyā€™re trying to get down to 1.5-2k students on campus.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what the implications are but itā€™s not good. Toss in 9 Sooners testing positive over the weekendā€¦ I just donā€™t know how they pull it off.

Stay the course. Quarantine sick kids and plow through.

2 Likes

Makes sense in theory.

1 Like

If they play this year, will they allow fans? No one is discussing this question.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think so. If thereā€™s a debate about putting players on the field, putting fans in the stands has got to be out of the question imo

2 Likes

Agreed, I know some NFL teams have discussed having fans, but Nebraska is the only team Iā€™ve heard talk about admitting fans. Given how the UVa has strictly followed protocols so far, I canā€™t imagine they are even considering fans at this point.

1 Like

Nebraska wonā€™t be playing this Fall so fans in the stadium may be disappointed.

I thought it was interesting that the MLS is allowing up to 5,000 fans within the stadium. I really donā€™t understand it. You canā€™t be making enough at the gate to justify the risk. Football on the other handā€¦

The SEC just announced their guidelines. Which is basically left up to the school and local jurisdiction. I hope college presidents do the right thing, but I can think of more than one state that will receive pressure to relax safety standards in the name of Saturday afternoon football and ticket sales. I can also think of more than one coach that will cry competitive disadvantage if their school or locale dictates no fans.

2 Likes

Nebraska may have been a bit premature declaring intentions for fans to be in the stands, but they can play BYU 10 times since they are looking for teams to play as well.

Thatā€™s a very strange move by the MLS. No way the gate revenue they make is enough to cover the reach. Also a lot of those stadiums only hold 10-12kish 5k could make it a little tight space in a social distanced world.

The SEC leaving it up to schools terrifies me. I can see that being a disaster very quickly. Living here in the heart of SEC country, I can easily see UGA, Bama and Auburn fans packing into stadiums and parking lots on the first warm Saturday they see. Iā€™m not even sure they would have relax the standards here in Ga. no way Kemp wouldnā€™t push for a full crowd in Athens.

4 Likes

With the right precautions in place, you could have fans. NASCAR has fans. Those tracks are huge though, the equivalent in Scott might be 5.000-8,000.

3 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Arenā€™t all fall sports outside SEC/ACC/Big12 cancelled already anyways? Does this mean we get 3 years with Keytaon Thompson?

2 Likes

I donā€™t get that at all. So any acc sec and big12 football player gets a free year. But does the school get an extra scholarship if the kid stays an additional yr?

2 Likes

Sounds good until you gotta come up with extra scholarship money.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ll have to.

In baseball,they altered the roster rules for the 2021 season to account for spring sports athletes getting a do over on the 2020 season.

3 Likes

Most MLS stadiums fit at least 20K (New England and Seattle play in football stadiums still) but agree that I donā€™t think the gate revenue justify it. From what Iā€™ve seen, 5K of fans actually doesnā€™t cover the costs of the security, concession staff, etc. needed to have a game day with fans.

1 Like