2020 Football Season

One thing l learned real quick…Once either team got close to the end zone that defense really stiffened up and there was a lot of hard hitting. Looking forward to watching it when I’m not half asleep so I can figure out more about the game and the rules

2 Likes

No doubt in tight like that, is where I used to shine, pick and go, down in a 4 point stance low man wins.

1 Like

Make sure when you are watching you understand the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League… I equate it to the difference between NFL and CFL.

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY and that’s a good comparison there. Similar but not quite the same. I can watch league, but am not a big fan of it, even after playing a few seasons stateside. The overall strategy and some of the nuances of the game of rugby that I enjoy and was good at aren’t part of League so in tempers my enthusiasm.

2 Likes

Agreed… Union is much better and I think requires better strategy. League w/ the ref yelling out the “down” irritates me. I do like Australian Rules Football however… except I think the final scores are ridiculous. LOL!

2 Likes

For someone like me who loves World Cups any sport would be cool if they had a rules guy commentating in real time during rugby so I could understand more about the strategy etc Also would like to see a World Cup beer drinking contest between Rugby and Australian rules but that could be tricky

2 Likes

Hah yea I never paid attention to the ref yelling down, but now I have a feeling I won’t be able to unhear it. I’m not an Aussie Rules fan, I can watch it when I’m bored but it never clicked for me.

It’s funny my biggest gripe about rugby commentary is the announcers (on American broadcast) spend so much time explaining the rules in such a basic manor that it bores the hell outta me. The Rugby World Cup is always a good watch. I’d also recommend watching the 6-Nations tournament in the spring or in the fall this year. Ruggers could take down any Aussie Rules guys any day.

ha. thats funny and i get it from your side. Aight maybe we just do zoom call and BDragon can run us through the basics then

2 Likes

Sevens is awesome, and the US seems to be significantly better at it than the regular format. I guess it’s a lot of guys in open space making plays, which athletes coming from other sports to rugby will have lots of experience doing. I don’t know if they’re still good, but it’s pretty fun to watch Perry Baker and Carlin Isles highlights; those dudes have some pick-up to them in the open field.

1 Like

Happy to do that anytime, plus I can have a few pints during the call.

2 Likes

Absolutely, USA Sevens is the high point of USA rugby, they invested a ton of money into it and it made the difference. The access to the Olympic Training Facilities in Chula Vista was critical and they have one of the best coaches in the world, in Mike Friday. But you’re right the added space has allowed for some great athletes to show their skill, and without the need for critical set pieces it lowered some of the learning curve. I’ve known and worked with Perry since the day he caught our eye at Nationals in 2012 and he is a flat out stud and I’m not sure I’ve been around an athlete who works harder at his craft. Carlin is similar. He has put a ton of time into his skill to be one of the best in the world. Also an extremely humble guy, the way he bounced back from his ACL tear is impressive.

2 Likes

Still think an LRA crew Zoom would be good anyway. Good luck to Mark and TW trying to moderate the crew…

3 Likes

I agree would be fun to chop it up with some of y’all. Mark can’t control one of you @DFresh11. You dropping an Fbomb on the JWilly show is still a highlight of all the podcast. Check that, Mark’s face after you dropped that is the highlight

2 Likes

Rugby World Cup is only Union… there are actually very good League players that will transition to Union in order to be eligible to be called up for the World Cup for their country.

2 Likes

@DFresh Just create an LRA Discord… would be easier

1 Like

@Merch. Help!

2 Likes

@DFresh11 - LOL… just got a Twitter account, but now you need a Discord account…

1 Like

Have heard about that from DJCJ (Conner Jones). If yall are on twitch his lunch break DJ sessions are great and Saturday morning reggae too. They be talkin about !Discord and emotes and Fresh is lost

2 Likes

There’s a league world cup as well. It’s just not as big or as well known. You do have some crossover players, but it’s happening less. Sam Burgees tried it for Eng at the 2015 RWC and couldn’t make the switch. There are a few southern hemisphere guys esp Aus who have bounced back and forth.