2020 Football Season

Cool… I’ve never watched the league one… I’ve only heard of the dude’s that switch over to Union because it doesn’t suck as much as League. :wink:

1 Like

League used to pay better not the case anymore especially in Northern hemisphere

1 Like

@DFresh11 I thought Twitch was a video game.

2 Likes

me too. but people DJing on it now

1 Like

Has Ronnie Walker still not gotten his waiver? Somebody needs to explain that process to me because it doesn’t make any sense.

4 Likes

To figure out the process, you just gotta consult this (tongue-in-cheek) chart under point number 3: https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/12/28/20751999/transfer-rules-ncaa-football

4 Likes

If Nolley got his because he didn’t like where he was at I don’t see how you can turn anyone down

3 Likes

No way anyone’s being denied a waiver at this point especially when you consider when he applied for it.

2 Likes

I’m really starting to like Tony Poljan, the new transfer TE. Think he might become a fan favorite. A clip of some of his recent press conference comments below:

“There really wasn’t an avenue that I could express that besides sports. I would go out on the football field or [basketball] court & it didn’t matter what people said because I was always going to try harder.” - @TonyPoljan on how sports helped him overcome his stutter. #GoHoos pic.twitter.com/Kbr5xSvOrK

— Virginia Football (@UVAFootball) August 27, 2020
6 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdIDyAA85f/?igshid=u0zioqz2496m
Captains announced

9 Likes

I’ve heard Noah Taylor pegged as our breakout player by a few friends and media, but Taylor already broke out last season- 6th in tackles and .5 sacks behind Jordan Mack last year.

Who else is a potential defensive (or offensive for that matter) breakout player? Love talking about the young guys

2 Likes

Nick Jackson at ILB for sure.

4 Likes

Agreed. Nick Jackson would be my pick, so bummed to see Dontavyion our for the season. Without him, offensive I’d say is Billy Kemp for a big step up. Always seems like 1-2 receivers step up when we need them

6 Likes

Love Kemp as an option on offense he showed hints of it. Defensively i like Snowden for a bounce back year. Yes he’s not an unknown but i don’t feel like he hit his full stride last year. I believe he has another gear. Also like Armstrong to break out. If we’re honest we dont know know what he can do. Give him 40 50 snaps a game and we may be shocked

1 Like

I did all the defensive position previews at Hoos Place (shameless plug), and here’s who I picked for the breakout for each unit…

Defensive Line: Jowon Briggs -he got his feet wet last year. But he’s had time to learn the ropes, see what college football is like, and train for the job. He’s got a ton of potential to have a big year on the defensive line.

Linebacker: Noah Taylor - I think he just scratched the surface last year, especially once injuries mounted in the secondary and we had to adjust his role. I think what he brings to the field this year will make last year seem routine. We know him well already but he becomes a national name in 2020.

Defensive Back: De’Angelo Amos - I think we’re going to be surprised at how good the grad transfer from JMU is. I’m already hearing good stuff about him (as in he’s probably pushed his way into the starting lineup). He’s also a plus punt returner too.

Nick Jackson is another excellent choice. He would have been my guy at LB had I not thought that Taylor had another level he was going to take it to in 2020.

On offense, I suspect that Ryan Swoboda is that guy. I’ve heard he busted his ass working out in the offseason and that it’s paid dividends. A 6-10 OT with a huge wingspan that can move is going to be a revelation if his play on the field progresses.

Another guy that I’ve heard deserves a ton of credit for the work they’ve put in on the strength and conditioning side over the last year is Jordan Redmond. I’m excited to see what he can do with his reps in the middle of the defensive line.

11 Likes

Yes, it’s a different spin. But after working with a guy for a while, it becomes natural. Also, Brennan throws a very catchable ball. He can put it in the right spots and has the ability to make every throw. I’m not surprised Brennan was selected. He is 3 years into this offense and Brennan arrived when the scheme change was taking place.

Thompson needs to prove he can become a higher percentage passer. But his athleticism will get him on the field. It’s up to Thompson to figure out, after 4 years and 2 schools, if QB is a reality, or is it time to try a new position. He is cross-training at WR. At 6-4/220, Thompson could become an opposing pass catcher if he committed to the position. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

The talking heads at ESPN, ACC Network, Athlon, Fox Sports, CBS Sports Net, and those dweebs among the ACC beat writers that never dig below the surface to fully understand how certain programs are evolving. In UVA’s case, they are missing a really good, emerging story.

Bronco is a player development program coach. This is not a secret for anyone following college football. If I’m in the media, the first thing I want to see are S&C metrics to compare 2019 to 2020 preseason for all returning players. I’ve said that to many of them, including Daily Progress Bennett Conlin. But none of them ever contact Griz (except Jeff White, who has always been the best at background research and detail).

Next, look at the experience and maturity of the defense. Outside of Briggs, who returned to Grounds up from 285 for the Florida game to 310 today, every member of the defensive 2-deep is a 3rd to 6th-year player. With the exception of transfers Amos (who could start at SS opposite Blount) and Atariwa at DE), every player in that defense knows scheme very well. Plus, there are 2 OLBs at 6-5/6-7, respectively, that can play downhill or drop in coverage. The depth at LB across all positions is the deepest, most athletic, ever. Plus, the majority of 2nd/3rd level defenders know the defense like the back of their hand. Allows Howell/Poppinga to run different exotic packages out of base sets.

Once Haskins is back to full playing strength, the OL has a solid foundation of everyone returning for at least 3 years for the starters. An important key is having the center position with Oluwatimi as the full time starter 2 years in a row. Olu is smart, and his line calls really improved as the season progressed. Having Swoboda at 6-10/325, so Reinkensmeyer can move inside improves the OL exponentially. If the OL is sound as expected, Bronco can build the pieces around it.

Walker’s eligibility doesn’t look good. If it eventually happens, doubt he will be available until Clemson at the earliest. But don’t sleep on Perris Jones. This kid can play. Put of strong numbers at Bishop Ireton and Episcopal against quality DMV competition. His size kept FBS schools from offering, but he is at a rock solid 175 today. Simpson was a top FCS RB his junior year, but a knee injury sideline him as a senior. Plus, I’m not as down on Taulapapa as some ‘Hoos that seem to always find something to complain about. I believe we’ll see improvement as an every down back over last season.

Armstrong’s ability to see his progressions quite succinctly could mean a big year for Poljan, Kemp, Henry/Jana et al. If Anae/Armstrong can effectively bring Poljan into the passing attack, it will create some match up nightmares over top those 6-2/6-3 LBs. It means a Safety will need to cheat and that opens up other opportunities, especially since we are working out of a lot of 2 TE sets in practice. And with Simpkins as a solid pass catcher out of the backfield, this offense is showing a number of good variations. Armstrong supposedly is better operating out of the RPO than Bryce and that can keep defenses off balance. Also, Armstrong can throw a very accurate mid to deep ball. So I’m eager to see how Jana, Henry, and Obasi will settle in, as well as 6-7 Davis and speedster Starling. Then, we’ll see if Thompson likes being on the field as a WR! Stay tuned.

6 Likes

Needed this. Grad transfer RB from Harvard.

7 Likes

Tells me all I need to know about Walker’s eligibility appeal.

3 Likes

That irks me to no end. How can his waiver even be controversial with everything going on? Should be an easy rubber stamp.

4 Likes